XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Orange 2009 XR1200 - Scotty mod, Ohlins, 52,000+ miles
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules here, but it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission!

I have a limited edition stainless widow exhaust in excellent condition that I'm removing from one of my bikes. Going back to totally stock exhaust, which I already have. Widow is awesome because it sounds great, brutal because it is LOUD. In NYS where I live, they just passed a nutty law where they're now enforcing noise/dB violations with a VERY hefty fine (I think like 1000$ for a violation in excess of 80dB... inspection stations get a $1500 fine and possible loss of business licence if found to be in violation). The widow exhaust will DEFINITELY get me there. Eventually, I'll be listing it up here, but I honestly have no idea of the value... I don't want to throw it on the fleabay as I'd rather someone here gets first crack at it. Stupid politicians and stupid midnight street racers in big cities wrecking my fun...

·
Braap!
288 Posts
AFAIK, you're all good with posting it for sale here. Members will be ALL over this ;)

I'm from Mass and heard about the new law in NY. I am contemplating heading over to Americade this year - Not sure if I should quiet down my exhaust and play it safe myself. (digressing) My point - "I hear you" on your reason for going back to stock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My point - "I hear you" on your reason for going back to stock.
I see what you did there... nice! My 883 with stock exhaust is likely borderline! I recently grabbed a 2000 Blackbird with 'respectful' 2 brothers slip ons... I found original mufflers for that beast in case they freak on me next season. That was a very difficult hunt as most of those got thrown away by amateurs... and by that I mean the bikes themselves!!!

·
Braap!
288 Posts
Too funny! Ironic too - Just last night I was thinking about a 2000 R1 I had. I put about 36,000 miles on it before I sold it back in 2008. I don't think many sportbikes live that long. I was wondering where it is today. Still have the stock muffler hanging up in my basement ;)

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Not that I am I interested in this exhaust, but when are you going to list it?

·
Registered
765 Posts
They are starting to install noise cameras in a few places around the UK now 🤬 not sure what's the limits going to be, or how accurate they are.
Interestingly, today I seen a mate at a local bike shop cafe that was riding a 60's Norton 500 single, boy did that rattle the panes, but I don't think there was any noise limits when it was built, so not sure how the law would handle that one :unsure:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not that I am I interested in this exhaust, but when are you going to list it?
Well, today I picked up a pair of exhaust gaskets at the local HD dealer so I'll likely be removing the system in the next week, maybe see what interest there is and list at about that time. Still, nobody has an idea where the price should be...

They are starting to install noise cameras in a few places around the UK now 🤬 not sure what's the limits going to be, or how accurate they are.
Interestingly, today I seen a mate at a local bike shop cafe that was riding a 60's Norton 500 single, boy did that rattle the panes, but I don't think there was any noise limits when it was built, so not sure how the law would handle that one :unsure:
I think in NY, there is some clause for vintage bikes. I think. What is defined as vintage is anyones guess. Kinda jealous that you get to see tons of these old bikes across the pond... I've NEVER seen an old Norton like that around here... rarely you see a commando, and I knew a local fellow that had a square 4, but lately even the shovelhead harleys all dried up.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,439 Posts
Re vintage status. The longstanding convention (at least with cars) used to be 25 years old to be vintage, 50 years old to be veteran. How precisely that is observed in these strange days is another question. Anyhow commiserations re the noise regs and noise cameras, sounds really oppressive. Like a combination of greedy revenue raising and Big Brother.

J.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Pictures, or it doesn’t exist!

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
So all you need to do is advertise a price. Like it’s been said that exhaust should not last long for sale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts