XR1200 Owners Group banner
41 - 60 of 112 Posts

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
This just in from Matt at Sato:

Good morning,

Glad you figured out the main issue. Nothing should be between the bolt head and the front pivot bearing.

To get the pedal up higher, I would also suggest adjusting the change arm so it is angled slightly lower, and unscrewing the male rod end from the female rod end a few threads to make the rod end assembly slightly longer.

Here is a link to the sample pic:
https://satoracing.com/pics/rearsetsXR1200BKL1_950x650.jpg

Regards,
Matt Hall
Sato Racing Inc.
[email protected]
831-899-1822

Nice to see great Customer Service in the industry, as I wasn't expecting a reply on Sunday.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Rehashing an older thread of mine, rather than starting a new one.

Next month (November) I will be riding my XR to a different place to have it tuned since installing the Termignoni. Does it need to be retuned? Some may say so when the exhaust is changed, but I don't trust the place I had it tuned before. Heading to BRG Racing iin Pacheco, CA for this next and hope for the final tune session. No plans to tear into my engine untill something happens that makes me do it, so stock internals for now. BRG will hold the bike overnight after the tuning, then retest it the next morning. I have heard about this place years ago when racing with AFM, but never taken a bike to them before. Now it's time...

BRG Racing Motosports

I plan on bringing the DB Inserts just in case they recommend capping one or both cans off. Either way, I'd like to know what the dyno shows with them out, both in, and only one in. I have no plans to ride with them in, and have seen another thread with the same exhaust and having them installed. I am not tryig to squeeze out all the power by chasing a number, but looking for rideability. Air/Fuel numbers will be included in the print-out.

· Registered
841 Posts
@CoreyDSFA
Have you still got to have the PV fitted or can this tuner flash the ECU.
The Guru that tuned my ZZR1400 flashes the ECU and he has done an XR1200, removes another link that could fail in the chain, so to speak!

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
@Houseyhousey
The tuner and cable do not need to be on the bike once it has been tuned. This is the main thing I like about the PV.

Reactions: Houseyhousey

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Corey -

I am so looking forward to your results and thoughts on BRG. I'm very interested to see how they set the bike up with the new Termi's and would love to take my bike up there as well.

Keep us posted!

Alex
Will do Alex!

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Prepping the bike for dyno tuning tomorrow, after changing the Exhaust from Bassani to Termignoni. Riding it to BRG Racing. Routing the PowerVision wire up to the tuner and keeping it away from the exhaust for the ride out there. I purchased a new set of factory oxygen sensors just because the original ones look smooshed but believe me, they were like that when I got the bike. I do believe the factory oxygen sensors are obsolete so I got them from the Vintage Site.

www.vpartsinc.com

Font Advertising Recipe Brand Screenshot

Metal Natural material Titanium Brass Event

Font Wood Musical instrument Handwriting Cylinder

Just plan on cleaning it up a bit for a good representation while it’s there Monday and overnight. I’ll give a complete report Tuesday with Dyno print-out including before and final graphs that show and air/fuel.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Yep, oxygen sensors no longer available from H-D.

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

· Registered
549 Posts
Corey can you do without those sensors, they were fitted to my Termis from new but never connected, they are responsible for the cracking around the sensor boss, I've seen quite a few metal fatigue failures due to the weight of the sensor bouncing about including both of mine and its not only Termis that suffer with this. Any thin wall lightweight tubing is particularly vulnerable in an application like this.
Mine are in the bin and replaced with some nice quality bungs from a Ford Sierra Cosworth of all things, they need to have a very short thread!

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks for the information Skiddy. I will ask the Dyno Place about what they recommend, and let them know what you have stated. The O2 Sensors are easy enough to unplug and/or remove, and caps for them are readily available. Back when I had the first tune performed with the Power Vision, the Tuner downloaded the tune, but the sensors kept correcting for it, so he had to manually change it. Toook him 3 hours, and 45 miles on the dyno to correct it. I trust this new place for tuning, and I will do what he recommends. He is very well know in the industry as I have stated above.

Side Note:
I had a 1985 Merkur XR4Ti and loved that car.

· Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
Ideally they are not tuning with the OEM O2 sensors in place. Rather they should be flashing an open loop map into the bike, tuning with wideband sensors, and then adjusting the AFR lines to get peak/optimum performance. You'll only need the OEM O2 sensors if at the end they put a segment of your fuel map into closed loop for fuel economy.

And beginning and final WOT AFR lines will not tell you anything - unless you see the AFR lines at intermediate tuning steps with dyno runs to show how fuel adjustments affected peak power and partial throttle ridability.

· Administrator
8,749 Posts
shoot...I wish I would have thought of this sooner
I upgraded my stock power vision with the Auto tune pro kit part #AT-110 for $360.00 , it came with the auto tune module and 2 wide band O2 sensors and some wires, i would gladly lend you my kit to get your tuning done, but i'm afraid there is no time before you're at the Tuner shop. The offer is open in case you ever need to get it retuned.
Regards
Roy

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks All. After talking with the tuner, he said the stock sensors are to remain I place just as Phaedrus stated above. No need for bung caps, and no need to unplug the sensors either. Racing might have been a different story, but that’s not the plan for this bike I have named Exorcist. Ride-ability and performance will be the result they state.

Sadly because I assumed, and they didn’t specify their workload today, they will not be able to tune it today and have me pick it up tomorrow. That, and due to my work schedule, I won’t be able to pick it up till next Tuesday.

Posting the results and comparisons from the previous tuner, will just have to wait. Gosh!!! A week without the XR? I think I will manage… barely!

Price for this is a little on the steep side, but I know it is in good hands. $650.00 total.

· Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
Thanks All. After talking with the tuner, he said the stock sensors are to remain I place just as Phaedrus stated above. No need for bung caps, and no need to unplug the sensors either. Racing might have been a different story, but that’s not the plan for this bike I have named Exorcist. Ride-ability and performance will be the result they state.

Sadly because I assumed, and they didn’t specify their workload today, they will not be able to tune it today and have me pick it up tomorrow. That, and due to my work schedule, I won’t be able to pick it up till next Tuesday.

Posting the results and comparisons from the previous tuner, will just have to wait. Gosh!!! A week without the XR? I think I will manage… barely!

Price for this is a little on the steep side, but I know it is in good hands. $650.00 total.
If they are leaving the stock narrowband O2 sensors in place during tuning, I'm not sure what you are getting for $650.

They should be pulling those, and tuning with wideband sensors.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
If they are leaving the stock narrowband O2 sensors in place during tuning, I'm not sure what you are getting for $650.

They should be pulling those, and tuning with wideband sensors.
I get what you are saying, and will send them an email asking for their reasoning behind this, and will post their answer when I receive it.

· Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
If all they are doing is flashing in an AFR map, and then tuning VEs to make it correct for your bike, you can do that on the road with Roy's autotune and wideband sensors.

A good dyno tuner will run up to 100 pulls, adjusting AFR to peak power and get optimum ridability at partial throttle. They'll also adjust timing to see if that improves things.

If they say they are tuning for ridability, not peak power, they don't know what they are doing with an EFI bike.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
If you look at the amount of Dyno pulls from my original sheet, you can see the final was #17 and the first was #3 in red. I had stated the mileage on the Dyno was 45 mikes. That didn’t account for me having to go back to retune the steady throttle cruise I was feeling afterwards.

Rather than go back to Bob, I am trying another place that has a good reputation. The bike could probably run on the tune it currently has, but I wanted to have it redone with the Termignoni added. I’ll admit I don’t understand completely all that it takes to tune EFI, and I haven’t heard anything bad about BRG, so I am giving them a try.

@Phaedrus
I appreciate your feedback and knowledge on this subject.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
I only purchased the Power Vision J1850 new a little over a year ago.

***EDIT:
This is what I bought:
Font Rectangle Handwriting Art Circle

Info from Dynojet Site:

· Let's Ride
679 Posts
Yes, the way I understand, it is a separate purchase. I'm having trouble finding a Power Vision, did you have to wait for it to come available? Dynojet is out out stock and I'm not sure if they are making them anymore for our bikes.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts