XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, long before I ever had a Daymaker I had ridden with people that did. I was never impressed.

Then I got my own XR with it's very own Daymaker. I have to tell you, after my first night ride, I was not only not impressed, but down right terrified. The straight line lighting is not bad, but the side lighting is horrible. Yeah, the old-fashioned halogens kind of throw light all over the place uncontrollably. The new technology LED's are so controllable they can laser focus the beam down the road so well it doesn't even go one inch past the edge of your lane. This is great for oncoming drivers. Not so great if you ever want veer off your straight line.

I never was able to tell what was really going on in pictures because either you couldn't see the light far enough down the road, or the photographer was showing how bright the light was on a garage door ten feet in front of the bike. So I too my own pictures.

Stock light with LED bulb.

20170606_213554_resized.jpg

Daymaker:

20170606_215641_resized.jpg

So what do the pictures prove? Nothing. You still can't see far enough down the road in the pictures to see what is really happening. But what I can tell you is that the stock headlight sends the light down the road, and to the sides down the road, where you need it. And while the Daymaker may look brighter up close, and throw a wide beam up close, that is not where you need the light at speed.

Conclusion: Many people who spend $400 on a light really want them to be better. And when they light up their garage or the fence twenty feet across the street, they look really bright. But in real world night riding, which I do a lot of, I'll take a stock headlight with a good bulb any day.

P.S. I've already bought auxiliary driving lights for the Daymaker bike. Just haven't found time to mount them yet. I'm a big fan of auxiliary driving lights, just not on my original XR that needs to keep it's flattrack roots.

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
I've got to ask - did you check the headlight aim?

I put the Daymaker on, after already upgrading to a PIAA, and I thought the Daymaker was still a dramatic improvement over the PIAA, and way better than stock.

I run the headlight aim pretty level, and tend to always ride with the high beam - except when there is oncoming traffic - but the Daymaker seemed a huge improvement for distance, without losing lateral light.

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P.S.S. If you look at the stock light (top) picture you can see a couple of dirt mounds and what looks to be a bush. You can't see this bush in the Daymaker (bottom) picture.

Both pictures were taken from the exact same spot but 1/2 hour apart. I can't figure out how to easily get both bikes out in the dark at the same time.

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got to ask - did you check the headlight aim?

I put the Daymaker on, after already upgrading to a PIAA, and I thought the Daymaker was still a dramatic improvement over the PIAA, and way better than stock.

I run the headlight aim pretty level, and tend to always ride with the high beam - except when there is oncoming traffic - but the Daymaker seemed a huge improvement for distance, without losing lateral light.
I did check the aim. The distance is not so much a problem. It is the light to the sides that seems non-existent. And I have heard other riders complain about this, too. I ride in the canyons at night. It is dead black and you really, really need to see into the corners to ride safely...

...at speed. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Maybe I need to get off the crack, but I see a LOT more to the sides with the second photo that you have labeled Daymaker ........

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
For what it is worth I thought the Daymaker was a big improvement. best headlight I've ever had on a motorcycle except for maybe the Goldwing.
Rick

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I need to get off the crack, but I see a LOT more to the sides with the second photo that you have labeled Daymaker ........
But it is up close. Not where you are looking, or are supposed to be looking, when travelling at anything over 15 mph.

That's why most cars and cycles have separate high/low beams. The low beam light up close is a distraction when travelling at speed. The manufacturers, and everyone else, want you to look out there, not down here where all this low beam light is.

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For what it is worth I thought the Daymaker was a big improvement. best headlight I've ever had on a motorcycle except for maybe the Goldwing.
Rick
Had you tried a better bulb in your stock light? Even many years when I first go a good bulb in the XR, my friends wanted me to lead because I had a better light. Japanese bikes, Euro bikes, big Harleys, etc. I admit it is not the best in the world, but for my needs, the stocker is better than the Daymaker. Mainly due to the lack of side lighting.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Had you tried a better bulb in your stock light? Even many years when I first go a good bulb in the XR, my friends wanted me to lead because I had a better light. Japanese bikes, Euro bikes, big Harleys, etc. I admit it is not the best in the world, but for my needs, the stocker is better than the Daymaker. Mainly due to the lack of side lighting.
Can't say I did, I went from the stock Harley (DD flashlight) headlight to the Daymaker. Got the Daymaker for free off of a totaled bike:nana:

·
High Tech *******
700 Posts
I can't speak for the Daymaker but my Amazon knock-off is a huge improvement.

·
Greecesportster1200
328 Posts
I gave up trying to fit poorly designed & sized LED bulbs to my XR and bit the hard Daymaker bullet.....awesome unit...great improvement....worth every penny and trick looking!

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I don't remember if i have a 55/80, or if its 55/100. 7 inch. European lens. But I can see pretty good. No complaints at all.

·
OMG, it's better then I thought!!!!!
372 Posts
First upgrade I made on my bike was the lighting, Daymaker light....love it. There are knock offs, but they are not the same quality. Maybe you need to compare your light to another daymaker light. Maybe, and it's a big maybe.....yours isn't of top quality?

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
I did, and it was better. Not WAY better, just better.

Got the Daymaker and it is WAY better. As in DAMN, that's a HUGE difference!

I liked it so much I went out and bought another sporty headlight, then fitted it to my Honda XR650L, made a stone grill deflector thing, and then stuck a Daymaker L.E.D. in that.
Now, no problems being off-road at night. Plus the current draw is less than the stock Honda headlight, so I added heated grips to the XR650L. Win Win!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Okay, i have messed with better bike lighting for years and had it all figured out 30 years ago. I have a knockoff daymaker in my dyna(5 3/4) now. I was running a european lens with 100/80 halogen bulb. The chinese daymaker was a big improvement. They are pretty sensitive to to the way they are aimed. It's got to be perfect or the light just goes in the wrong places. I know one of the guys has a new Road Glide with a daymaker and coming back from New Mexico last year riding side by side at night we were lighting up the road like the sun came up. Everyone noticed that when we stopped. I did notice that i rode out to eat after dark with another bike that had a 7" single factory daymaker and when we pulled up to the side of a building my knockoff small headlight was noticeably brighter than his big factory light. I believe some of the knockoff daymakers are brighter than the factory light. Now on the XR i have a 7" european lens with 80/100 bulb. A daymaker would be taking a step backwards.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I was thinkin about a Day maker but will stay away.The OEM Light is good.Tested on a dark Road to my job.When i took my old Sportster next day,with the H4 Light we use in europe theres a big different.
The H4 is much mor better than the OEM XR Lighting.Sry for that.I use a Std 55/60 H4 Bulb and it works well.
No need for the Day maker.

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can't say I did, I went from the stock Harley (DD flashlight) headlight to the Daymaker. Got the Daymaker for free off of a totaled bike:nana:
I got my Daymaker for free off of a totaled bike, too.

First upgrade I made on my bike was the lighting, Daymaker light....love it. There are knock offs, but they are not the same quality. Maybe you need to compare your light to another daymaker light. Maybe, and it's a big maybe.....yours isn't of top quality?
Mine is a genuine H-D unit.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I was thinkin about a Day maker but will stay away.The OEM Light is good.Tested on a dark Road to my job.When i took my old Sportster next day,with the H4 Light we use in europe theres a big different.
The H4 is much mor better than the OEM XR Lighting.Sry for that.I use a Std 55/60 H4 Bulb and it works well.
No need for the Day maker.

Today i got a Daymaker from Copy cat who runs a warehouse here in Europe .........)))))) 45,-$ is okay to play with
for a while.
Looks like good quality,metall housing,clear glas,wiring.
DOT E9 markings on (still illegal)here but will try this for optical reasons.++.Put it on tomorrow and test it at night.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts