XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just putting this out there for thoughts/discussion/ideas

The handling is obviously affected by the swinging arm being mounted to a rubber mounted engine, therefore has anyone ever 'swapped' the swinging arm mounting arrangements around?
By this I mean putting solid bearing between the frame and swinging arm pivot, and rubber bushes between the engine and swinging arm pivot. This would stiffen up the relationship between the frame and swinging arm, whilst still giving the frame/rider a certain amount of isolation from the engines vibrations.
I realise this would probably require changing from a belt to a chain for the final drive as belts are sensitive to alignment.

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
That doesnt seem possible given how the Sporster is designed. The swingarm shaft passes through the rear of the engine. And the engine attachment is cushioned by the rubber mounts. The swingarm simply mounts on the shaft.

You're talking about a new design to the mounting setup. Doesnt seem possible with the current engine and frame design.

The V&H poly blocks do hold the swingarm shaft firmly in the frame. What some riders don't like though is that the swingarm shaft then solidly mounts rhe rear of the engine. Personally I like the performance improvement, and havent found it too harsh, even on 500 mile days.

·
used ta could
1,830 Posts
Houseyhousey do you still find your machine flexy even with your “filled” isolators? Didn’t you fill the fronts with urethane also?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
We trying this on our Norton 850.It only works on the Racetrack for a while before Parts cracking or going to loose.
The Harleys working the same Way,Rubbermounting for the Engine & Drive Train.So i recomend,not for Highway use.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ytman, well remembered, yes I did fill all four engine mounts with urethane. Perhaps I'm spoiled by my other bike, but I still think there's room for improvement on the XR, although I will probably just leave it as it is and except it's limitations

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Like I found in other posts, your favorite dealer can order aftermarket front, rear, and swing arm isolators from Drag Specialties, and other mounts that members have stated are stiffer than stock. This is what I would do.
0933-0055 Rear Mount
0933-0054 Front Mount
0933-0053 Swing Arm Mount

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
0933-0053 is for the FXR, not for a late model Sportster

Reactions: CoreyDSFA

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I could be wrong just ask my wife but I’m pretty sure there is an upgraded bracket with bushings that is not stock through drag specialties for the swing arm and for the front motor mount that’s what I was trying to give information on.

Our bikes are getting older and some are reaching 12 years old, so it’s not only the mikes on them it’s the time, and the air with the o-zone, makes a difference too, kind of like old tires.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could be wrong just ask my wife but I’m pretty sure there is an upgraded bracket with bushings that is not stock through drag specialties for the swing arm and for the front motor mount that’s what I was trying to give information on.

Our bikes are getting older and some are reaching 12 years old, so it’s not only the mikes on them it’s the time, and the air with the o-zone, makes a difference too, kind of like old tires.
I did fit new DS mounts, but also filled them with urethane, which is like a hard rubber, it did improve the handling greatly

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That doesnt seem possible given how the Sporster is designed. The swingarm shaft passes through the rear of the engine. And the engine attachment is cushioned by the rubber mounts. The swingarm simply mounts on the shaft.

You're talking about a new design to the mounting setup. Doesnt seem possible with the current engine and frame design.

The V&H poly blocks do hold the swingarm shaft firmly in the frame. What some riders don't like though is that the swingarm shaft then solidly mounts rhe rear of the engine. Personally I like the performance improvement, and havent found it too harsh, even on 500 mile days.
I bow to your greater knowledge.
By harsh, do you mean the engine vibrations transmitted through the frame ?

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
Yes, you feel the engine a bit more.

But yes, since you give up the rubber bushing and it's ability to flex, you feel the road a bit more.

But then good shocks are for road vibration, and what you want for riding is more positive feel of the bike in turns. Personally I think the V&H poly are a best option....

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
No. And I wouldnt expect to.

The transmitted engine vibration is pretty minor for the overbuilt tank of a frame the XR is built on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting topic here.

Where can I get the VH poly bushings… They seem hard to find - especially here in Europe…

And how is the life expectancy of these things… PU does not seems to be the strongest and longest lasting material… Hoe about making these things out of metal such as brass or even stainless

1 - 14 of 14 Posts