XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
www.jp2code.net
20,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bent my shifter shaft when I had a drop in the parking lot a few months back. I never really noticed it until I started noticing shifts not happening when I tried going through the gears.

Found the parts I needed with Ronnie's microfiche, then ordered them up.

Turns out, this cap screw got pretty messed up, too. The side walls have collapsed into the area where the Allen wrench goes, so I can't get it off. My Vice Grips just slip when I try to twist this off using that. It will get replaced later.

Sure enough, the shifter shaft is bent.

Used an end wrench to hold the gears in place while busting that Sprocket Nut loose.

I take the Engine Sprocket/Clutch/Chain assembly off so I can get to the shifter shaft.

I pulled the old shifter shaft out and now I am ready to replace it with the new shifter shaft.

Notice this mark on the drum:

Seemed to me like the 2009 Service Manual made it a point to show that the Shifter Drum is supposed to be at 12 o'clock, so I checked:

Yeap. Figure 5-54 on Page 5-38 clearly states, "Scribed Line on Shifter Drum at 12 o'clock".

Mine is not at 12 o'clock. Mine is closer to 3 o'clock, and the Service Manual makes no further mention of this scribed line.

So, I had to go visit
Kevin at The Harley Shop. He told me the Service Manual is trying to indicate that I need to pay attention to where the scribed line is, so that I could reassemble the parts in the correct location. Whether 12 o'clock (like shown in the Service Manual) or 3 o'clock (like the drum on my transmission) does not matter as long as it is reassembled the same way.

Cool. Good to know. Nothing inside is damaged.

I go home and gett the new shift assembly slipped into place and return the rotor and clutch pack. In the middle of the clutch pack, you can just make out a few drops of Red Loctite that leaked from around the threads.

Using my old analog torque wrench, I tightened the Mainshaft nut the rotor to 80 ft/lbs and the new Engine Sprocket nut to roughly 160 ft/lbs (do NOT reuse the old Engine Sprocket nut, as this bolt stretches and is only good for one use).

Before getting the outer Primary Cover put back on, I had to make another trip to my local Harley shop. I'd purchased a new bushing for the Shifter Shaft to go through, and it turns out that this busing has to be pressed in and some special tool must be required to get the old one out. I again visited with Kevin who was able to have the old bushing removed and my newly purchased bushing popped in place at no charge. (Thanks again, Kevin! I hope this gets you good recognition and not into trouble).

When I got back home, the Primary Cover went back on, and tightened the cap screws to 120 in/lbs (12 ft/lbs).

All done.

The cap screws for the Derby Cover have not been tightened down in this picture because the new engine paint is only about an hour old.

If you have any comments, please feel free to contact me using my contact form
[[HERE]].

·
XRx Owner
1,393 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write up Joe! Good reference for replacement should anyone else have this issue!

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
Good write up Joe!

·
Iron Collector
1,726 Posts
Have not read the post yet, welcome home!

·
Super Moderator
8,227 Posts
Well done Joe, shifting should be more positive with the new shaft, let us know how it feels to you.
Are you still using Formula+ (not trying to turn this into a oil thread)
Nice write up and your photography is getting better too.
Regards
Roy

·
Burden to society
3,319 Posts
Hey Joe. Good to see ya... So to speak... Nice write up.

ZRCZwl.jpg

That is the biggest Guardian Bell I've ever seen.......

I'm just sayin.....:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for this post and the pics. Even more so, knowing I have to replace the shifter shaft on my bike. These informations and the Manual will help.

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Hello Joe :)

I hate to tell you this but you can replace the shaft without removing the clutch or front sprocket, you just need to fiddle around with the little selector prongs on the shaft a little.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Hey Joe, missed you buddy. That allen bolt on the shifter. Go ahead and take the arm off. Lay it on the floor or a solid bench. Get your allen wrench socket, or the L shaped allen wrench. Take a hammer and drive the wrench in. You're replacing the bolt anyway so that won't matter. After you take the bolt loose, you can knock the wrench off.

·
WTF???
15,959 Posts
...When I got back home, the Primary Cover went back on, and tightened the cap screws to 120 in/lbs (12 ft/lbs).

Using the 'other' analog torque wrench Joe? :cool:

Good to see you posting again.

G

·
welcomeback JoeP :clap:

nice write up, just one thing there is 12 inches in a foot, so to convert in/lbs to ft/lbs you need to divide by 12 not 10.

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
welcomeback JoeP :clap:

nice write up, just one thing there is 12 inches in a foot, so to convert in/lbs to ft/lbs you need to divide by 12 not 10.
Apparently not in Texas.................:whistling:

·
Don't touch me there!
1,708 Posts
Just going through some old threads, JoeP you did a great write up on this!
+1 on that, thanks Joe.
But.....
Scotty was right, you can actually get the shifter out and the new one in without removing the primary drive. You need to push the selector prawns forward at the outside which will retract the center part a bit and wiggle. Don't ask me how I know.....
IMG_4167.jpg IMG_4168.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,911 Posts

·
Don't touch me there!
1,708 Posts
lol.... that's quite an angle.... how the hell did you get the side case off? :)
It took me a while, and beat the crap out of my fingers before I finally laid a split inner tube over the case to keep it from getting dinged up (instead of using my fingers as bumpers which, uh, hurt!). But yeah, I had to work it and it might have involved a little swearing!

·
Registered
6 Posts
JoeP,

Your post was a great guide when replacing the shifter shaft. many thanks mate.

i did try and wiggle the shaft out as per Scotty's advice but it didn't work for me.

What i did was only remove the engine sprocket nut on the clutch plate. slightly move the plate out without removing it completely, which gave sufficient access to the shifter shaft to remove and replace with a new one. You guys most probably know this but just in case it helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts