XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a '10 XR last week, and since I'm planning on tracking it, I've been searching for the assorted track bits I'll need. Kinda ironic that while you can find thousands of whatever you need to track your Japanese, German, Austrian, or Italian bike right here in the USA, you need to go to Europe to source the same stuff for your American made XR.
Anyway.. I've road raced for the past 17 years or so, and since I'm now old and broken, I've stopped racing full time. I bought the XR as sort of a "fun" street bike that I can use on the track. I might even enter it in a few races this year if I get it sorted in time.
Since exhausts are easy, I've purchased a V&H, and am waiting for it to show up. While Termi seems to make good power with the XR, $1600 is too rich for my blood, and I'm counting on V&H's (hopefully) extensive R&D on the system for the XR. Since they drag race Harley's I'm counting on their experience with them to produce a good product for the XR. I happen to own a Dynojet dyno, and as soon as the exhaust and PC 5 show up(they don't list one for the '10, so once again I'm "hoping"...hoping that the '09 version will work), I'm gonna go to work and see what I can get outta this thing. Because I'm gonna ride this thing on the street and on a road race track, I'm gonna concentrate on mid-range just as much as peak, and peak might actually lose out to mid if ultimate peak power hurts ride-ability.
I saw where you can buy Showa Big Piston forks for the XR, so that's next on my list along with Ohlins shocks. I'm trying to find rear spool adapters here in the US so I can put the thing on a rear stand, but if it's as I've been seeing so far, I might be needing to send my money to Euro-land to pick up a set.
if anyone knows someone who sells 'em here, please lemme know.
Otherwise, I'll post up my mapping results when I'm finished.
Happy tah-tah's for now....:1eye:

·
I piss excellence!
131 Posts
Welcome fastkevin! I think you're gonna do well here!

Rob at Speed Demon Cycles has been racin' his XR, he can help you get set up...Matt at Adrenalin has some stuff you're gonna want to check out...Phaedrus has sliders all over his bike, chexk with him...and it sounds like you'd be riding in FatBilly's class (fast guys) so you can discuss the fine points of knee scraping with him.

Glad you're here!

·
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Mr. Bobby.
I actually came across Adrenaline Moto after googling "race parts for XR1200's" a couple of days ago, so I e-mailed them and am waiting for a response. They seem to have everything you/I could need, but DAY-UM the exchange rate must be killing the dollar right now. I bought a set of forged magnesium Magtan 16.5's for an FX 600 we raced, for roughly what they're selling a set of forged(at least I think they're forged) Braking Aluminum 17's for the XR.
It'd be really nice to have a 17" front on the thing so you can get some decent rubber on it.
I'm hoping to hear back from them soon, as I need to get a set of spool adapters, and I also need a belly pan, and a tail section. Well I "Need" everything on their site. Problem is my wife seems to prioritize things like food and the mortgage higher than what I'd like to be a priority.:D

G

·
Welcome FastKevin, looks like you have some work to do, i am curious about the performance with the V&H exhaust.

I still have some parts on my wishlist but my wife seems to have the same problem as yours.

Have fun.:D
Greetz Stef

·
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greetings Stef..
It's kinda funny.. I originally told my wife I was gonna sell my ZX-14 to pay for the XR, but now that my parts list is a tad bit bigger than I originally thought, it looks like I'm not gonna get what I thought I would for the 14:whistling:
:oops:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.