XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Motorcycle Enthusiast and Cheeseburger Aficionado
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined today and just want to say hello. I'm in Huntington NY, on Long Island. I got my brand new Orange (fastest) XR only this past Tuesday. Love it. I have a 98 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer and a 08 Kawasaki KLR650..... and I have not touched them since this past Tuesday. Looking forward to learning a lot about the bike here, and just having fun.

Steve.

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. Bone stock, yes, but I only got it Tuesday! The picture was taken on Thursday. On Friday, I ordered the Stortz Saddlemen Seat. The stock one hurt me immediately. I'm around 240 lbs, so I hope the new seat helps. More mods will come eventually.
Because I'm not a lightweight, I've done suspension work on most of my bikes, and maybe I will on this too, but I'm just enjoying riding it for now. It seems to handle my weight fine, but I'm sure I could make it a little more comfy on the bumps and ruts as well. Twenty seven years on the road, I think 13 bikes or so,and it's my first Harley Davidson. My first bike ever was a brand new 1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot....I loved it's flat track style way back then. When I read about the Stortz XR, and then the Mert Lawill bike, I thought, if Harley ever makes one of these, I would buy it. It happened, and I did! I feel like I got the grown up verson of the Ascot.

Steve.

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
... My first bike ever was a brand new 1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot....I loved it's flat track style way back then. When I read about the Stortz XR, and then the Mert Lawill bike, I thought, if Harley ever makes one of these, I would buy it.....
The Honda Ascot was a beautiful bike...I love 'em...they still look good today!

Oh, welcome to the forum....[:)]

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Welcome, I thought the XR felt like an Ascot the first time i rode it. It just gets better. Do some reading here and save yourself some time and trouble. Most folks on this forum have done some, if not a lot of modifications, they are always willing to share info.

Now, go ride, and enjoy:clap:

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
Welcome aboard Steve. I have a BMW F800ST and tode it and the XR yesterday. Can't explain it, but the XR is just more fun to ride. Enjoy the new ride and keep the shiney side up.

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks WildWilly, and everybody else. I think I'm gonna enjoy this site, and gain much knowledge from all of you too. I'm off from work today, and have been messing around here. Check out a few shots in my photo album, and click my link to check out some riding videos on my youtube page as well.

Later...going riding before more storms move in this afternoon.:scooter:

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
Steve: Awesome use of youtube. Watched both a couple of times. When you fired the XR up, I could smell the exhaust. Going riding and guess which bike I'm choosing.

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
I also had a VT500 Ascot that I bought new. I loved that bike! Mine was the dark blue/purple/almost black, my race car mechanic had a Red one.
Also had the FT500 Ascot single - what a PIG, horrible handling.
And WELCOME!

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Motostevie, what's that mod on your oilfiller cap?
That's dealer installed, just a fancy sticker it looks to me. It's the the Harley logo, and the dealership name (Light House Harley Davidson) written in a circle around it. Looks decent.

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also had a VT500 Ascot that I bought new. I loved that bike! Mine was the dark blue/purple/almost black, my race car mechanic had a Red one.
Also had the FT500 Ascot single - what a PIG, horrible handling.
And WELCOME!
Mine was the same, 1983 dark blue one. In 84 they made it black, along with the red one. Then no more. Here is a picture of a stock one I found somewhere on the net. I had mine 7 years as my only bike. (I was very poor then). I Learned a lot on that thing, riding and wrenching it.

Did my first xr1200 mod just now.....I went and picked up the Harley taller clear windshield I had on order since I bought the bike. It was 300 bucks, but much nicer quality than most aftermarket shields, and it pops right on and off. It looks good on there, but I'll have to test it out tomorrow, raining now here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Mine was the same, 1983 dark blue one. In 84 they made it black, along with the red one. Then no more. Here is a picture of a stock one I found somewhere on the net. I had mine 7 years as my only bike. (I was very poor then). I Learned a lot on that thing, riding and wrenching it.
Damn you for posting that picture - Now I have to go find and buy one again! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.