XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'09 SV650, '16 GSXS1000, SOON XR1200!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ello all, new member here, dont even have an XR yet, hence this oddly titled post. I am looking to purchase a forum members bike that is in salt lake city, I live in orlando...not having much luck with what i think is reasonable shipping quotes, not sure if its the pandemic or just the specific locations but if anyone knows a company other than;Uship, hauling depot, ddrs transport, shipping masters, haulbikes, shiply, motorcycleshippers, federal, moverquest i would appreciate it, I did a forum search but only got one new company out of it.

Alternatively...what other than a multitool, gorilla duct tape, tire patch kit would be in an bare minimum emergency roadside kit for the XR, id rather avoid the weight of a ratchet if i can get away with a few wrenches and allen keys but it depends on whats needed/weight difference.

Also im doing my best to ignore the fact that ive never ridden more than 350 miles in a day so feel free to glorify my crazy idea of considering to ride an XR this far.

All help appreciated,
TroyC

·
Registered
158 Posts
As a guy thats done both - its really your attitude of dealing with things going wrong. Ride and Fly is just an amazing experience and it lets you have access to roads/views you would otherwise never get to have. Especially since you would be driving thru Utah/Colorado - which is unsurpassed in terms of mountain roads.

If something goes wrong, someone will help you...especially on a Harley. The miles are nothing--advil, breaks.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ride safe and pray for good weather. I have done similar pickup of two bikes in the past. You have big balls for sure.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Give your self some time. Your are going to need to stop every 100 miles or so which will slow you down. Also, if you want to have fun, you are going to want to get off the highway, which will take longer.

If you just plan on highway miles, bring a small detachable windshield. Makes a difference in a long day. Also bring a tank bag or tail bag for light rain jacket, which can be worn if it gets cold.

You may want to bring a better headlight too. That would be a quick install. The stock lamp won't cut it, if your riding at night.
My 2 cents.

·
Let's Ride
229 Posts
Tell us about the bike... Condition, milege etc. I'm sure there are members on this forum that would help you out if needed. Great group of people here.

·
Registered
'09 SV650, '16 GSXS1000, SOON XR1200!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Already has HD LED, im looking at the national cycle mohawk screen, it lists the part that fits as the 44mm-51mm OD fork, but all the forum/online specs im reading says X models have showa 43mm...

im still holding out on cheaper shippers, lowest now is $640, which per my calculations including flight, gas, food and 3 cheap ($80) hotel stays is about the same $$$ (also have a friend in TN which is 8hrs from orlando so if I want/need to break it into 4 days I could do that at no additional cost which is a nice option.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,880 Posts
The screen is a good idea. Here are a few more:

1. A tank or seat bag with enough room for a 4L fuel container. Or 2 X 2L, makes little difference. If you can maximise the distance you do each day, you may be able to knock a day off your trip. These need to be specifically made for fuel with a screw top that DOES NOT leak, as they will be horizontal in the bag.
2. Cable ties in a variety of sizes, WD40, some Super glue.
3. Definitely the tire plug kit as stated above, plus a few extra CO2 cartridges to re inflate the tire.
4. Ear plugs for you.
5. Mobile phone and credit card.
6. Membership in a nationwide auto club scheme which provides roadside emergency service plus towing if necessary.
7. Wouldn't be a bad idea to start the trip with an oil & filter change, either by yourself or at an HD dealership. While there ask them to snug down the oil filter boss, check the spark plugs and also snug down as many external fasteners as can be reached, especially the three chassis earthing points.
8. Just as insurance, grab a couple of relays at an auto parts store or the dealership. These are cheap & live above the fuses. A few fuses in the common sizes is also a thought.
9. I think that's it, other than your personal bike gear- On trips I always take a couple of different grades of gloves, summer and winter etc. A scarf or fleecy balaclava you can put on and off as needed. Wets of your choice.
10. Lucky last. A note pad, pen and sticky tape. Not for writing your memoirs of the epic trip, though. I've found it very useful to sort out my intended route for each day the night before and make up a list of towns I'm going to pass through and maybe take a turn within. I tape the finished list to the top of the tank, or stick it under the map window of my tank bag. Solves a lot of en route decision paralysis and faffing around with paper maps or Google maps on the phone. This dodge is sometimes known in these pages as the "Alabama GPS".
OK, have a good one and let us see you trip pics when you get home. Cheers,

J.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You might enjoy these threads

3 days is a lot of riding for that trip.

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,257 Posts
I would say how much time do you have.
If you are on a tight timeline it can wear on you if you are not used to it. And if something goes wrong, it only make it worse.
Allen keys won't help much, a lot of the bolts are Torx.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My advice is don't stress. Figure out dollar and time wise which is best for you between shipping and riding. My own preference would be ride. So, if it were me, I would register, insure, and get a CAA+ membership, and hit the road.

Run out of gas, break down, CAA has your back, will bring gas or tow to nearest HD dealer. I was stressed when I bought mine, being my first HD, and all the crap people say about HD. Had a custom mount made for extra gas can, bought extended HD warranty blah blah. Has been one of the most reliable bikes I have ever owned, bone stock. Even sold the two Honda's I owned when I bought this and is now my only ride. Well over 100,000km and still trust it implicitly. Have faith.

Reactions: Decaf and hoges

·
Reading the Pictures
'12 "x" always in-the-works..
215 Posts
Just finished a trip like this, except I was tasked w/ the delivery of a bike I sold to someone 2200 miles away, who also didn’t want to pay the going rate for transport.

It cost me double what I expected, w/ fuel hikes, rental costs, incidentals, etc. And I camped atop the enclosed trailer each night.

6-hundred some-odd is not bad to git-er-dun, hands off, btw..! Then again, the adventure is priceless, if you can take the time.

·
Super Moderator
7,896 Posts
$640 for a 2300 mile delivery is a bargain!

5 days of adventuring could be fun too - but not cheaper, and definitely wear on the body.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Have you already paid for the bike?

I agree with those above that suggest you fly out and ride it home. Like that of a truck mudflap, be flexible and willing to travel. The experience, and scenery will forever be in your mind. You should have fun planning gas stops, and motel overnights along the way. Map shows about 33 hours straight through, but take maybe 4-5 days to enjoy it. Plan for the worst(rain, flat tire, run out of gas), and hope for the best(sunshine, looks and questions about the bike wherever you stop). I am sure the seller could work something out with you, to ship the extras to you. Take pictures along the way and write an article/story about it. No one does this much anymore.

You could fly out, rent a full size truck one-way, and make about 2-3 days of it, taking the same roads. I would bet the seller could help you load it up. Just don't strap it down too tight in the front, or your could blow the seals(ask me how I know... :rolleyes::mad:.

YAHOO!!! (You Always Have Other Options)

Cash talks, so bring some.

Take the route through Kansas, the state that is so flat, you can watch your dog run away for 3 days. LOL!!!

Take the Nebraska Route, and reset your odometer when you see the first corn field, and see how many miles of corn there are. Make it fun trip.

·
used ta could
1,871 Posts
The last time I advised someone to NOT take the risk of traveling on an unknown machine for too many miles they didn't listen to me and they had a great time. Good luck on your trip.;)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
The last time I advised someone to NOT take the risk of traveling on an unknown machine for too many miles they didn't listen to me and they had a great time. Good luck on your trip.;)
Something Maxwell Smart would say, "It's the old 'reverse psychology' trick."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts