XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My GPz has a helmet lock on both sides of the rear of the bike, and have noticed that the XR is void of this. Searching here, there are many older topics to what some were using, but sadly the older links do not go anywhere. Searched Ebay and came up with some that lock to the frame, d-ring carabiner, handlebar, cable locks, and others.
motorcycle helmet lock | eBay

I wouldn't want something that has the helmet hanging near the hot exhaust, or something that is added to the handlebar or switches, so this interesting license plate mount from Kuryakin came up in my search.

License Plate Helmet Lock With Mount | Device Mounting Systems | Accessory Mounts | Kuryakyn

Gadget Rectangle Automotive exterior Font Automotive window part

Seems simple, and an out of the way locking device that mounts to the back of the license plate, but I'd recommend using special fasteners if one is planning to keep the helmmet there for a long period of time. I was almost given one of these license plate locks, new in the box, and am willing to give it a try. Removing the stock plate bolts would be an easy theft of your helmet, so using alternate fasteners might be a deterrant, but if someone wants it bad enough, there is nothing that is secure.

Has anyone used this before, and does anyone use anything else? What are the pros and cons of your chosen helmet lock?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am impressed by the fasteners and special tool that comes with this license plate lock.
Blue Azure Violet Bicycle part Electric blue

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at this a little further before leaving my garage for the day, the stock plastic license plate hanger doesn’t seem to be strong enough to hold the weight of a helmet and should be upgraded to something to hold this extra weight, so now I’m looking into a stronger rear license bracket that allows the use of the stock taillight. I’m running custom dynamics Pro-Beam tail light and will not change it to the one with the integrated turn indicators signals.

·
Premium Member
2009 XR1200
114 Posts
I've been using a cheap-o combination lock that looks like a climbers D-ring attached to the left bungee bar. The handle bar area is to crowded. Very secure and convenient. I do like the Kuryakin products though
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks John your bike is still my dream machine! Someday we will ride.
H-D carries that Detachable Helmet D-Lock.

Reactions: JimJr1945

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
I use a standard bicycle cable look (combination) and secure my helmet, hanging from the handlebar, through the open face if I leave foe any length of time. Easy peasy foe me.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks gor your input Geno.

Reactions: JimJr1945

·
used ta could
2,011 Posts
I use something like this and a bungee net. A real thief can take it easily which sucks because I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a new lid and they’re almost $1000.00.
Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Font Camera accessory
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here’s a few pictures of the helmet lock attached to the license plate. That is my new Kali Protectives Carbon Helmet hanging from the license plate lock. You can see my Custom Dynamics Pro Beam tail light and turn signals.

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Electric blue Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Hood

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Reactions: raven

·
Premium Member
2009 XR1200
114 Posts
I use this cable lock like Geno, also use it to feed through shirt or jacket sleeve to lock it on the motorcycle.

A hundred years ago I went to a mall and parked my bike with my helmet locked to the bike kind of bottom up like that and when I came out someone had stuffed their fast food garbage in my helmet. I felt violated:mad:
I've had two pair of gloves lifted out of my helmet. That's like stealing my tooth brush. What the heck are people thinking.

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
Here is a pic of geno's helmet lock. I mean if someone really wants your lid, ain't no lock gonna stop 'em. What I try to stop is the honest dude running away with it. :)
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

In my case I have a cross bar on handlebar. And yea my combo is 5225.......................come and get it!

·
used ta could
2,011 Posts
^^^^^^
If he's an honest dude he's not running away with someone else's bucket. hahaha:ROFLMAO::LOL: but I get it.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree Gene. Having it locked to something as an anti-theft, is better than nothing. Thank for sharing everyone.

It's too cold there now Gene. Maybe after Spring?

Reactions: geno

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
I agree Gene. Having it locked to something as an anti-theft, is better than nothing. Thank for sharing everyone.

It's too cold there now Gene. Maybe after Spring?
Not too cold yet...............I feel it coming in the air though.

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
^^^^^^
If he's an honest dude he's not running away with someone else's bucket. hahaha:ROFLMAO::LOL: but I get it.
My dad always said locking the doors keeps the honest people out. True story!

Reactions: raven
1 - 20 of 22 Posts