XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my XR on June 6th and rode home in the rain smiling all the way. I immediately started looking for web sites specializing in the XR and found this one. I am glad I did as there are alot of knowlegeable people here and I love being able to share info as it makes buying decisions alot easier when you can share the experience of others. I bought the sinister hard core black one. I figured why pay extra for color when I will just end up painting it anyway. I used to be a auto bodyman and painter and still paint my own stuff. I have my new XR, an '05 DL1000 VStrom and a pair of old XS650 Yamahas. One's a project and one's done. I added the short, clear to black gradient windshield and the bungee bars. I'm not real happy with the bungee bars and will be modifying them. I love the windshield, however. I am looking at new rear shocks as the stockers just don't cut it. The bike is a blast however and I just love riding it. Harley hit one out of the park with the XR as it's pretty good stock, but as with every bike I ever had, it will be improved little by little and that's why I am very glad I found this site. I have read alot of stuff on here already and Bravo to you all for such good info, Tim.

G

·
Welcome

Welcome OldGuy, from another old guy. Great place to hang out. I know it is blaphemy but I also have been thinking of painting my XR. I had a RoadGlide in HD Pearl Yellow. Maybe that might make my XR the fastest of them all. lol

paul

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
Welcome aboard Tim. I once owned a 1982 Yamaha XS650SJ Hertitage Special, in any color you wanted as long as it was black. One of my all time favorites bikes and I still have the heel marks on my backside from selling it.:rolleyes:
My XR is Pewter Denim and I understand less tha 10% of the XRs were painted this color. I also have plans to have mine painted, but still want to keep the pewter denim color. A new tank cover form Harley, in primer, is $422.00. Don't remember what the tail cover from Storz is and I don't care. Going to have these 2 parts painted and keep my pewter denim parts. Will be able to change the color of my XR in minutes. Agree with you on the shocks and haven't made up my mind which way to go. But what an awesome bike right out of the crate. Enjoy the new ride and this forum, and keep the shiney side up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oldest guy on here?

Well, I'm 59 so I might be in the running but probably not the oldest. I usually paint most bikes I get so I am assured I won't see myself at a stoplight. It's actually one of the least expensive mods you can make if you consider all the bling you can buy and the cost of such things. If you don't go wacko with the design, then a paint job won't kill ya. I sold a Honda 919, which was no slouch, to buy the XR. The Honda was lighter and quicker but the XR is more comfortable when it comes to ergos and the low maintenance and big torquey motor make it just as much fun to ride, but in a different way. Thanks for the warm welcome and as I do stuff, like the rest of you, I will post my mods with pictures and explanations. :D

·
Its good to have friends
2,308 Posts
Hey Old Guy, I like the 919 too, must be an old guy thing, I like the VTR also. Maybe you can figure out how to get that secret H-D orange over pearl. Now we got experts on almost everything, perfect!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.