XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just purchased a nice 2010 XR1200 last night, somewhat spur of the moment as I found a decent deal on it. 7000 miles on it, appears to be in pretty good condition (I'll get some pictures up later)
I have owned a lot of motorcycles over the last 10 years, but this one is my first Harley. I plan on using it as my daily-driver and some longer distance touring with the wife.
I had been looking at getting a Tenere 700 or even the Pan America, but then I found the XR and decided to give that a try first.

I currently daily drive a CBR300 (which the XR will be replacing) about 50 miles a day on the interstate, it has been a great bike, I have had it about 4 years and put 20,000 miles on it, but frankly have just gotten bored of it. The 65mpg and 6000 mile oil changes has been nice though..

Other than that I have a slew of other bikes in the garage: '99 DR350SE, '73 CB750, '74 CB360, '72 RD350 and a YZ125 for the off road. As you can see I have a thing for the 70s motorcycles..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yea, I forgot to mention, I'm from Wisconsin, but despite our weather I tend to get around 10 months a year of riding..
I'll be looking for a small fairing or at least some wind protection on the XR for sure..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome from north of the border ! Would love to see the RD 350

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Welcome in from a cold and snowy Connecticut. it is still amazing to me what a following this bike has, even though its been discontinued from the Harley line-up for 9 years already.
Anything you need, or want to know about your XR, you can find here...all you have to do is ask.
If your daily commute has any highway miles, you might want to consider the "Scotty" mod, its a gearing change that reduces rpm about 400-500. you can do a search on it, lots of info on how to do it for around $250.00
Regards
Roy

·
Super Moderator
12,478 Posts
Welcome to The Forum from sunny SoCal! We like pictures of all bikes, so don't be shy. ++

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here are the pictures.. First couple of the new XR, don't mind the dirt.. she traveled part way into my life on an open trailer.. (Also, don't mind the mess in the garage.. Adding a bike mid-winter screwed up my storage methods..)

PXL_20210126_234428507.jpg PXL_20210126_234442644.jpg

Next, a quick sampling of my other bikes/adventures:
IMG_20200905_102309.jpg IMG_20200902_115109.jpg 20190621_115734.jpg IMG_20200418_085506.jpg

I can't seem to find any pictures of the RD for some reason.. I'll go take one sooner or later. It's still a slow work in progress..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello from northern Japan! I too made my XR1200 my first harley. I think 1970s bike and "modern Harley" have a lot of overlap, so you should feel right at home.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
Welcome from Melbourne Australia also. I like your ingenuity, first ever time I've seen a bicycle carried on the back on a motorcycle, so well done.

The XR is a cult model in my view, one of those rare devices that adds up to more than the sum of its parts, and the stock or near stock example like yours is commonly just a starter kit for more extensive modding which many of us have done. There is so much info and pics here in these pages to give you ideas so read up and let your imagination run free. A word of caution though, your wallet will likely follow...

J.

·
used ta could
1,766 Posts
Congratulations Leanier on your latest. Welcome. Having had so many machines you obviously know how to wrench. HD is different, mechanically, than any other. I hope you’ll make the effort to acquire a manual or at least study up before you begin any projects on your new machine. Even something as simple as a break lever or a clutch cable is done with a style unique to the brand. I thought I knew how to do basic maintenance on a motorcycle til I got my XR. Sometimes I think they should change the name of the company to WTF. haha . Enjoy! If you like to turn you’d better get that muffler outta the dirt.... haha

·
"...I see the state line in my lights, Engine take
345 Posts
Welcome from the People's Republic of NorKal...she's practically brand new at 7K miles!!!

:lane:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Welcome from my neck of the CA Sate. How do you like it so far? Any recommendations for the "future" XR Owners from your experience?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome from my neck of the CA Sate. How do you like it so far? Any recommendations for the "future" XR Owners from your experience?
Unfortunately since I bought it I haven't gotten a chance to so much as ride it. Right after I got it home we got well over a foot of snow, and now the temps have dipped into the negatives..

·
Can it get any better than this?
181 Posts
Welcome from another Wisconsinite. Enjoy your XR and ride safe. You've found a great group here. Loads of information available and folks with incredible knowledge here for you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts