XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Just signed up this morning, great site , had my xr1200 since July 2008, I was one of the first from my dealer in UK.

Have a stage 1 setup , and got the seat sorted with gel to make more comfy.

Unfortunately a recent back injury has made it a strain to lean forward to the standard bars, ( i am a short ass) I found a set of bars in my garage that I had since my xl1200c days (bought at a boot sale but never fitted) , I am in the process of fitting these as they offer a 2/3" increased pull back so I can sit more upright and a bit further back in the seat ( on the wider bit ). Although the bars are chrome , If it works I will get them powder coated.

Anything to get me back out on the bike this month!!

Looks like I may only need to re-route the clutch and electric cables. Brake line can be unbolted from triple clamp and the metal hose 'bent slightly' to aid reach.

Would you advise this?? Has anyone else increased the pull back on the standard bike?? I know the trend its to have the bars further forward , but that is simply not an option for me.

I welcome your thoughts.

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Ay up mate, welcome to XR-Ville'
Adrenalinmoto do a Front Brake Hose Kit, if you're worried about bending the stock one.
And if you are gonna powder coat the bars, make sure and mask off the same parts of the bars that the originals have or it will make it difficult for you when you come to fit them.

http://www.adrenalinmoto.co.uk/prods/162.html

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Welcome!

Vtwinaholic.....hmmm, is there a support group for that? I may need to join....

On the handlebar deal you may want to try the "floridacars mod". Search the performance mods section and you'll find it. He bought an extra top clamp for the handlebars, turned it upside down and backwards, and put it under the bars with longer bolts, effectively acting as a riser.....clever booger that floridacars! Somewhere on here is a complete post about it, including pictures.... I think it would be perfect for you!

Good luck!

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Bars

Vtwinaholic.....hmmm, is there a support group for that? I may need to join....

On the handlebar deal you may want to try the "floridacars mod". Search the performance mods section and you'll find it. He bought an extra top clamp for the handlebars, turned it upside down and backwards, and put it under the bars with longer bolts, effectively acting as a riser.....clever booger that floridacars! Somewhere on here is a complete post about it, including pictures.... I think it would be perfect for you!

Good luck!
Here is the post on the home made riser, it adds about 3/4 to 1" height

http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/site/showthread.php?t=229&page=3

I would get in touch with Matt at Adrenaline, he has contacts everywhere. I would have a set of Earls stainless brake lines made up to fit.

Whatever it takes to get out and ride.
Tony

·
ILL NEVER GROW UP JUST GROW OLD
148 Posts
Hi can you tell me who did you the gel inserts for the seat & can you give me the contact details & price please Im in mids uk & could do with a improved seat.

Thanks Malc

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Hi can you tell me who did you the gel inserts for the seat & can you give me the contact details & price please Im in mids uk & could do with a improved seat.

Thanks Malc
Malc, give these folks a call, i talked to them a while ago and they quoted me £70 to insert a gel pad in the XR seat.

http://www.saxonseats.co.uk/index.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.