XR1200 Owners Group banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
2011 XR1200X, 2012 Super Glide Custom, and 2023 KLR650S
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, I received my 2011 XR1200X yesterday and was very happy with my purchase. The bike is a true 2,400-mile bike in great condition. Can't wait to get time to set-up the suspension and start riding the WNC roads. Thanks to everyone for your reply's and I look forward to being a member of the XR1200 OG.

Attachments

· Administrator
8,749 Posts
That's one fine example of the species, congratulations!!
just check out the date code of the tires, if they are original to the bike, they could possibly be 10 years old and may be due for replacement. Also, the V&H black widows are known to be prone to rust, especially the head pipes, keep an eye on them and maybe give them a coat of high temp heat paint.
Beautiful bike...Well Done !!!
Regards
Roy

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the information, the tires are only about 6 months old and have around 120 miles on them and yes, I have heard about the V&H rust issues and so far, the header pipes are in good condition, but for some reason have a reddish look in photos, are black in person.

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, I took a little time off work yesterday afternoon to ride the XR1200X and it’s like a drug that is addictive. I think this maybe my downfall??? lol 😂 The bike handles and brakes like a sport bike but has the low-end torque of a big V-Twin that most of the very fast sport bikes are missing. So, the expensive is amazing 🤩 how you can enter and exit a curve with more control that you expect and there is the problem, you want more, and we all know more is not always the best thing for you????!! lol 😂 The bike is by no means a super-fast bike (125MPH), but the fun factor is a 10 plus. The bike pulls hard though the gears all the way to 7,000 RPM’s and in forth gear at around 4,000 RPM’s you have a hand full of torque and the fun begins. lol 😂 I think 🤔 this was a great purchase as far as the fun factor, but maybe not so much for the health factor???? lol 😂 Of course I am not telling anyone something new, just my thoughts.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I feel for you and I’m sure a lot of other members feel the same way as the bike is a blast to ride. Coming from sport bikes, I never would’ve thought a Harley Davidson would be so much fun. Have fun be careful this bike is very addictive.

· Registered
30 Posts
Well, I took a little time off work yesterday afternoon to ride the XR1200X and it’s like a drug that is addictive. I think this maybe my downfall??? lol 😂 The bike handles and brakes like a sport bike but has the low-end torque of a big V-Twin that most of the very fast sport bikes are missing. So, the expensive is amazing 🤩 how you can enter and exit a curve with more control that you expect and there is the problem, you want more, and we all know more is not always the best thing for you????!! lol 😂 The bike is by no means a super-fast bike (125MPH), but the fun factor is a 10 plus. The bike pulls hard though the gears all the way to 7,000 RPM’s and in forth gear at around 4,000 RPM’s you have a hand full of torque and the fun begins. lol 😂 I think 🤔 this was a great purchase as far as the fun factor, but maybe not so much for the health factor???? lol 😂 Of course I am not telling anyone something new, just my thoughts.
@Maxx 1954 this is one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned. I currently have 2 XRs, a 2010 that's heavily modified and a 2012 XRx that's stock except for the Bassani exhaust and they are both extremely fun to ride. I have 3 other bikes as well but find myself spending more time on the XRs than on all the others. Enjoy that ride brother! :)

· Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
Nice!

Now, hopefully the Dragon has stopped smoking and you can get over there and ride!

· Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,688 Posts
Unfortunately, the XR fun factor can strongly influence your licence health factor, depending on how severely your local your local jurisdictions view driving offences. I got 3 speeding fines totalling about $900 AUD & 9 points on my licence in my first 3 years of ownership. Here in Victoria (Australia) 12 penalty points in any 3 year period earns a 3 month licence suspension. So have your fun but be very careful how & when you do it...

J.

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes, I can see how you could let the XR trick you into getting a speeding ticket, this is the reason that I feel blessed because when I leave my driveway, I am already riding the WNC mountain roads and can enjoy a 35 to 45 mile per hour ride through the curves with no fear of getting a speeding ticket.

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks, and I also am looking forward to next year.

I installed my 11-year-old still in the box (NOS) windshield (see photos) that that I purchased from a XR1200 OG member was made to fit the XR bikes and adjusted my suspension to fit my riding style this weekend, so I should be ready to ride the next nice weather day that comes along.

Also, I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving this week.

Attachments

· Registered
XR1200 2009
76 Posts
Thanks, and I also am looking forward to next year.

I installed my 11-year-old still in the box (NOS) windshield (see photos) that that I purchased from a XR1200 OG member was made to fit the XR bikes and adjusted my suspension to fit my riding style this weekend, so I should be ready to ride the next nice weather day that comes along.

Also, I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving this week.
That's a neat couple! (y)
Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts