XR1200 Owners Group banner

Hello from SW Indiana

Tags
3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Firecracker 
#1 ·
Hello, all. A little history if you don't mind. I recently got back into riding after a ~30 yr hiatus. Within a 12 month period I had two drivers pull out in front of me (hit the 1st one), and a semi push me off the road as I was passing it. Took them as a sign... Got the itch & bought a dual sport last summer. It has been fun riding but then a friend starting talking up the XR1200. After a few months I found your forum and became a fan. I finally decided I had to have one. I thought I found one nearby on CL but the seller does not reply. But I will keep looking. They must be great bikes based on the comments I have read here, regardless of the various issues you talk about. I am in southwest Indiana, kind of the middle of no where. I know when I do find one I'll need your help to make it right. 'Till then, talk to you later....

John S.

#9 ·
Hey, do you know Larry Bird? Or Johnny Cougar? Either way you are Welcome here :) ....... Good Luck :)

#12 ·
Good idea / Bad idea? I bought a WHITE 2011 w/blacked out motor & exhaust in Tampa, Fl. I'm thinking of flying down & riding it back....900 miles. I was hoping to get your opinions on such an undertaking. Sounds like a great adventure to me, reminiscent of an old TV show, "Then Came Bronson". Yeah, I'm old.++ I'm just not sure if it's a smart thing to attempt.
Thanks for your help....

#15 ·
Dude, I would do that in a heartbeat! And I love the Caucasian XR...... Purplehaze in Pennsylvania has one of those rare beauties and it's sweeeeeet :)

I've done a round trip of over 500 miles each way so the XR is certainly capable. Do you know if the bike has stock gearing and suspension? If so cruising at 70 mph is going to run 4000 RPM (which is no prob) but if it has taller gearing (the Scotty Mod) then 70 will be closer to 3500 RPM (much more comfy :) ).

CT XR Roy is on the money on the fuel range....most riders fuel up every 100 miles and reset the odometer (don't trust the low fuel light).

Seven hundred miles can be done in a day but that would sure take the fun out of it :). Sounds like a week long ramble to me......back roads and two lane blacktop :)

#17 ·
Padded bicycle shorts, that's all you need to know until you get it home :)
Congrats on your new purchase!
Ha! Ha!
Yeah, you're going to hate the seat if you jump on for that long ride!
I've looked at all the seat threads and nobody seems to have come up with a good seat for this bike.
I've got the Corbin seat and I'm definitely going to make some kind of change over the winter.

Love the bike and the ergonomics are good otherwise......but the seat? Yikes!

#18 ·
Slap a Nike swoosh on the side of the tank and "jus do it"! Make sure to throw a couple of pillows on your easy chair for when you get home.

Newfangledtechstuf

#21 ·
Best laid plans and all that... I didn't get to ride it home but the shippers did deliver it today! When we got it off of the truck and fired that puppy up... I was as happy as a kid at Christmas. That thing sounds awesome and it's only a stocker! There was an old couple (older than me) sitting in their car just shaking their heads. Hee Hee, so I racked 'er back just for fun... Riding it home from the big store parking lot where we had to unload it, I couldn't keep it under 40 mph, it just wants to go if you know what I mean. Speed limit is 30 thru town. Got it home & had to clean it up some. Have to admit I was a little disappointed as it had some cosmetic dings I couldn't tell from the pictures I'd seen. It looks as though it has new tires & the rear rim is pretty chewed up. Took it out for a longer ride and was impressed with how it ran. It is much stronger than anything I ever had before. At least from what I remember anyway. I'll get some photos and post 'em up for you all to see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.