XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Just got my '09 Orange on Saturday and have only managed to get 250 miles on it so far. I traded in my '05 1200 Roadster which had a bunch of hot rodding done to it. I gotta say, I am jazzed about this bike like I haven't been about one for a long time. Very, very fun piece of hardware.
For myself I've been at this riding business since 1969 and have had about 50 bikes over the years. Bikes are just what I do I guess. Current stable is about 7 deep, kind of a variety.
Otherwise, I'm an RN, been married 17 years and have a 9 year old son.
Looking forward to exchanging a lot of information and thoughts on this bike with all of you.

'09 XR1200
'07 DR650
'06 Tiger 955i
'03 Suzuki SV1000
'02 GL1800
'01 HD FXD
'71 Honda SL100

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
hello joe!

Whatdoyaknow Joe! Welcome....glad to see you bought the fast color!

I'm interested in how the XR compares to your 1200R, since its the real father of the XR (we like to kid ourselves that the XR750 is the father but a paternity test would prove otherwise [:)]!)

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Welcome...

Joe, Congrats on the new rig and welcome to your forum.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatdoyaknow Joe! Welcome....glad to see you bought the fast color!

I'm interested in how the XR compares to your 1200R, since its the real father of the XR (we like to kid ourselves that the XR750 is the father but a paternity test would prove otherwise [:)]!)
The long and the short of it is that IMHO at least, there is nothing in terms of function that isn't an improvement on the XR. Suspension, brakes, vibration, ergonomics on and on.
Now mind you, I think I had my XL pretty well set up. I had cartridge forks off of a 1200S, Progressive 440 shocks, 42mm flat slide, se cams, ported heads, twin tech module, slip ons and se air filter. It ran well, dyno'd at about 80hp (about what an XR does stock I believe).
Nevertheless the XR rides better, runs just as hard, definitely feels as if it handles better, brakes better, shifts better and is just plain more fun to ride. The only thing I can really question is aesthetics and of course thats just a matter of what you prefer, I like both.
I can tell you, I'm not looking back, just can't keep my hands off this XR.
To be fair though, I suppose I should mention that my SV1000 naked does some pretty functional things better than the XR. it dynos at 105 hp, weighs 100 pounds less and has better suspension yet (after some Racetech tuning). Nevertheless you can always find something that, theoretically at least, does this or that 'better'.
I'm pretty sure that this XR is just going to be one of my favorite bikes ever. Hard to ask more than that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.