XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going for a test ride I just had to have one. (It did take me a week of looking sad before I was able to get the ok from my wife.) I really like it. Just a very fun bike to ride. Love this forum, lots of great info.

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Welcome!

After going for a test ride I just had to have one. (It did take me a week of looking sad before I was able to get the ok from my wife.) I really like it. Just a very fun bike to ride. Love this forum, lots of great info.
Dude! Alaska? I'll never complain about the heat again!

How are the roads up there? Much in the way of twisties? Send pics of your next ride....oh, and start looking for some heated grips....brrrrrrr......

Oh, and welcome from Mobile, Alabama, where we had a heat index today of 109..:devil:..

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
What color did you get? One of my to-do rides includes a trip to your beautiful state. 2010 is my goal. Enjoy the new ride and keep the shiney side up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the welcome. We don’t have a lot of roads, but there are some long and twisty ones, and a few dirt ones. If you haven’t had a chance to try it yet, that XR will scoot on a smooth dirt road. It has been a very nice summer so far, had temps up in the 60s and 70s and lots of sunshine. I’m at work now where the temperature is currently +33 with wind chill +8 (about 700+ miles from home). I’ll be home next week and plan on doing some riding.

I have the go-fast orange one!:) We have been living here for the last 28 years and love it. Pretty country.

·
I piss excellence!
131 Posts
neato...

Sharps, that is just too cool.....the XR as a dual purpose bike! Listen Dude, find some flat track tires to replace these Dunlops and I'll bet the XR will be the bomb on those dirt roads. We gotta get some video of this!

G

·
Sharps, welcome to the forum.
Alaska, sounds pretty cold. Can you ride all year round or just in the summer?

( You got your colors right :clap:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve been looking at some duel sport tires for the future. I like the looks of Pirelli Scorpion also. Anyone have any other tire recommendations? I was hoping to make a trip up the Dalton Highway (Fairbanks to Deadhorse, at least 300 miles of dirt) this summer. It may have to wait until next year.

We have a pretty short riding season but lots of daylight! I’m working about 35 miles west of Deadhorse and as I type this it is 26 degrees F and snowing outside. I bet the folks that are riding up the Dalton are a little chilly this morning!

G

·
88 degrees and sunny here, you can have that 26 degree with snow crap forever and I was on the (snow) ski team in college... But I bet those conditions add to your "combat" pay!

Do a search on tires or tyres and you will see some options. There was one dude on this board who started to talk about converting his bike to a v-strom or the like then put the XR up for sale because he "discovered dual sport".

G

·
"What's snow", we dont get that stuff down here. It can get cold but nothing you get, welcome aboard Sharps. :tank:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.