XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for this if its posted but I sure couldn't find it.
I'd like feedback on the HD tail bag. I can't tell from the site photos is it straps to something specific on the bike and more importantly if the straps are routed such that they don't scuff up the paint.
Info appreciated.

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
HD Tail Bag...

~

Had mine since day one that I got the XR1200, and I love it. Much more so than the HD tank bag. The tail bag pretty much lives on the back of my XR, day in and day out. I did a day ride this week with it, and as usual it performed flawlessly.

Pros:

It mounts solidly, with never any worry of it even shifting, much less falling off. It fits well, and looks like it belongs on there... Much more so than in any pictures. So far mine has not marked up the bodywork and I have nearly 3,000 miles on the bike, with at least 2,200 of those having the tail bag mounted. The bag is made out of high-quality materials, inside and out. The zippers are thin, but very, very tough, and I haven't had a problem with them yet. The zipper pulls are the perfect size, easily usable with or without gloves, yet small enough they never get in the way nor flail around. It even has a pocket inside that would allow the backreast to stick up inside it, yet it also has an ingenious little door that seals off that pocket, and when not in use the pocket, etc. take up no space inside the bag. A very nice touch, and well designed and thought out. Also, the bag is very rigid for a soft bag, and holds its shape perfectly, loaded or not. It is nicely lined, too, with soft material. Great carry handle and detachable shoulder straps, too.

Cons:

It doesn't hold near as much as it looks like it should. Not sure why, but it is primarily because of the shape. More tapered in practice than in appearance. The side pockets hold very, very little, and in no way expand. Same with the top. What you see is what you get as far as space. This is one of the problems with the rigid material that holds its shape so well - it is so rigid it doesn't stretch, even in the slightest. I don't think it's waterproof... It hasn't leaked on me, but then I have not been in any downpours - just light rain. They may be useful to some folks, but so far I have found the little, crisscrossed elastic bungee strap on top of the bag to be worthless. It is simply neither strong enough nor big enough to hold much more than a magazine, etc. No way you could get a jacket, etc. held down by it.

Regarding the mounting straps... The front ones loop down around the upper shock mounts one per side. The rear one goes down underneath the rear bodywork and down across in front of the license bracket. It is actually quite well thought out, and makes for a very secure and steady mounting. As I said above, so far it has not harmed my bodywork. The only drawback to the mounting in my eyes is the length of the straps. Once you have the bag mounted and adjusted the remainder of the strap is not long enough to properly tie off, yet is long enough to flap in the breeze incessantly... It really doesn't hurt anything. It just looks bad.

Often it is said the way you really rate a product is simple... All you need do is ask yourself the question "Would I buy another just like this one?"

In this case, and IMHO, the answer for me is a firm and confident "Yes".

I think the bag works well, looks right, is secure, and is priced fairly. One could do a lot worse.

Hope this helps!

Dallara

~

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Dallara, Totally agree with your tailbag comments. Mine has been a great asset and I'm glad I have it to use. A good investment. :clap: Later,

·
Registered
507 Posts
I apologize in advance for this if its posted but I sure couldn't find it.
I'd like feedback on the HD tail bag. I can't tell from the site photos is it straps to something specific on the bike and more importantly if the straps are routed such that they don't scuff up the paint.
Info appreciated.
Aerostitch sells some clear sheets of plastic that protect the paint. They are not adhesive. You cut the sheets to fit and spray them with water. Work out the bubbles and they stick well but peel off easy enough. I highly recommend this to protect your paint. I also put a strip at the bottom of the tank cover as I am prone to rub against it.

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Those sheets work well. I use 'em to keep the straps at the shocks from marring the paint. :D Later,

·
Registered
257 Posts
Great writeup Dallara. The only thing I would add is that it is not waterproof. It will not fill up like a bucket but all clothing and cardboard inside will absorb water through the outer skin. After Saturdays rain, anything I want to keep dry will be placed in plastic bags in future.
As for paint scuffs....none so far.....but a few people admiring the setup on the weekend similarly suggested adding the adhesive clear plastic stips.

My final thoughts on the tailbag:
I think it looks better with the bag than without and I too would replace it without blinking an eye if it was lost stolen damaged etc.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally picked up the tail bag along with the HD sport shield. A fairly local dealer was running 25% off on parts so I ordered these a couple of weeks ago. I reckon at 25% off msrp they only end up being maybe 30% over what they should cost :D
The bag does seem well designed. I do think I want to put some kind of protective film where the straps touch the bodywork but otherwise the design and the rigidity of it look pretty good. Probably holds about as much as it could without completely spoiling the lines of the bike.
I think I will like the shield also. Pricey indeed but it does look well thought out and went on fairly easy. Didn't get a chance to ride it but it looks like it will do to break up the wind on the chest which I think is about all you can reasonably ask of something that size.

G

·
Whenever I go on a long run I always put red electrical tape on all the body work sections that might even get in touch with the straps (it sort of match's the mirage orange colour, better than black anyway). I also put electrical tape on top of the fuel tank as well, the tank bag scuffed the paint work just enough to annoy me after my first interstate run. I go alittle overboard with putting the electrical tape everywhere but it costs bugger all and it peels away easily after I get home from the run. Besides the initial scuffing marks on the fuel tank which I polished out later, I havent had any damage to my paint work and Ive done a few long distance touring runs on my XR1200.:tank:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Whenever I go on a long run I always put red electical tape on all the body work sections that might even get in touch with the straps (it sort of match's the mirage orange colour, better than black anyway). I also put electrical tape on top of the fuel tank as well, the tank bag scuffed the paint work just enough to annoy me after my first interstate run. I go alittle overboard with putting the electrical tape everywhere but it costs bugger all and it peels away easily after I get home from the run. Besides the initial scuffing marks on the fuel tank which I polished out later, I havent had any damage to my paint work and Ive done a few long distance touring runs on my XR1200.:tank:
Yes i should have done the same. I checked after one or two rides and no scarring whatsoever.....but after a few thousand kms there are some wear marks starting to show on the paintwork.
I will pick up some of that clear contact and leave it on permanently. It wont show with or without the tailbag installed and will leave the paint intact.

Still think it is one of the best accessories out there.

G

·
Tail Trunk

Great write up guys. I opted out of the tail trunk as it just did not do anything for me and I was used to tank bags. Yes it is a bit of an annoyance when filling up with gas but I need the break anyway. Your suggestions on the clear film or electical tape are great. The XR makes a neat sport tourer and with the ability to carry a few things, that makes it work. I just may have to get over my aversion to the tail trunk as you made it seem to work too well for me to ignore. Bags go on Weds and then I will put on a batwing fairing, cruise control, and have a mini Glide(lol).

Again thanks for the info.

paul

G

·
The "faux" carbon fiber will bubble up after a rain. Mine did the very first time I rode in the rain. It is not waterproof, either. For day to day trips to work and such, it does just fine. For longer trips, be sure to waterproof everything inside.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but the one thing I’ll add from my experience is that the tail bag isn’t particularly stackable, such as if you want to bungee a duffle or other bags on top for long trips. Although I use the HD tail bag, I’ve had to get creative in the stacking area.

I’m reminded of a tail bag I saw up in Ohio last month on an XR. This is actually a member who I ran into up at the AMA Vintage Days and he had a friggin enormous Saddleman universal bag. I think it was THIS ONE. While imo it’s ugly as sin, it also seemed as much practical. Point is, if you’re planning longer trips I think an alternative to the HD bag should probably be considered. I told myself I was going to get one of these, but I haven’t brought myself to it yet.

G

·
OK....update on the "wet, bubbly tail bag carbon fiber". After a day in the sun, with low humidity, the bubbles in the carbon fiber on the tail bag are gone. It looks the same as it did new. So, what is the deal? I'm not sure, I will just say that after the rain and bubbles in the carbon fiber, it is now flat again...

·
weeble wobble
165 Posts
I love the utility of this bag, well amde, although the first one I ahd some seams come undown, it was warrantied no questions asked.

There are a few drawbacks;

1. straps, where they come across the rear bodywork, they rub, it will scratch the paint/finish. I'm looking at getting some 3M clearbra material for this. For now, uber sexy HD can *******. Bonus, always have foam ****** for the frosty beverages.
2. In combination with other saddle/tank bag you can bring enough for a 3day trip. Otherwise its suitable for an overnight, if your judicious.
3. Its mostly waterproof, mostly. But honestly the rain I rode through was torrential and a smarter man would have pulled under an overpass or just gone swimming.
4. $$ for cheaper you can get some nice combo tail bag/saddle bags.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.