XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travis Wyman here,

Wyman-Travis-BigShot.jpg

We are are the beginning stages of transforming another XR1200 to add to the line up for Harv's Harley-Davidson racing! For any of those who are interested, the bike is being worked on by my crew chief Aaron Brown and XR1200 mechanic Robb Hilfiker. Step one was to pull the bike off of the Harv's Harley-Davidson showroom floor. We began on March 26th, and plan on testing the motorcycle at New Jersey Motorsports Park April 9-10th. So far, the kit has been ordered and is on its way from Vance & Hines. Rear-sets are being shipped from cjmoto.com. The suspension will be Ohlins 30mm cartridges in the front, and AMA spec Ohlins rear shocks being built by Lenny Albin of Superbike Chassis. As we make progress, I will be posting pictures to this thread, and am more than willing to answer any questions that may come up. Enjoy!

#24 IMG_2530.jpg IMG_2510.jpg IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

Hey Guys just reporting in on the build for Travis, We got more work done on the XR last night, finished pulling most of the unneeded parts off and started putting new race parts on. We received the kit in the mail and we started by laying the parts out and taking a rough inventory of what we had and what we still needed. After that was finished we installed the new clutch, pulled the old pulleys off of the rear wheel and tranny and replaced them with new Vance and Hines parts. Next we got the old tires off and the new Dunlop rubber mounted and balanced on the stock rear rim and the new 17in front. While all that was being done the front brakes where removed and set aside so we could get the old lines off and prepare the new Vance and Hines lines for installation. Then the O2 sensor eliminators where installed and set aside for later. Overall a productive nights work, the last pic is where we are at now. BTW all the stock parts are on ebay PM me for more info... More Pics to come soon!

Clayton.

OK! We got back on it yesterday, the rest of the parts came in so we are headed for the finish line of this build! First off we put the new rear sets on and started the task of safety wiring the bike and removing the jiffy stand mounts from the frame. The drain plugs, rear brake master cylinder, and other misc bolts where all wired up and After that we started bolting the rear sets on and adjusting the linkage adjusted. When we finished with the rear sets the exhaust was fitted and safety wired then the Vance and Hines Fuelpack was installed, both installs where uneventful and fit with without issue. Next it was time to get the bike sitting on its new suspension, Öhlins shocks replace the stockers while the stock XRX forks are reused with the addition of new internal cartridges. After the bike was sitting on its own 2 Wheels again, we got to installing the modified steering stops and oil cooler relocation mounts and ran all the plumbing. Next on the list was getting the new bodywork mounts fitted and the new under seat pan with catch can situated and then it was time to mount the new Vance and Hines Bodywork! It is starting to look like a race bike now! Then it was just a matter of a finishing up few small things and a new Vance and Hines XR1200 Race Bike was Born! See guys nothing to it! As always ask as many questions as you like, I will get them answered ASAP.

Clayton.

Attachments

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
Ooooooh, this should be fun.

·
Premium Member
14,911 Posts
Good stuff, good stuff, this will be good stuff.

Of course we already know you are fast on the XR :)

Wyman-Travis-BigShot.jpg

But you race SuperSport class also......

Does the transition bother you? Going from the Semi Truck-like XR to the Ferrari-like R6?

·
Travis Wyman #24
19 Posts
Does the transition bother you? Going from the Semi Truck-like XR to the Ferrari-like R6?[/QUOTE]

I've been asked this question before, and I have literally spent the past couple years trying to come up with a better answer than what I have... but I just simply flip a switch in my head. These two bikes differ so much with their riding position, hand and foot position, shift points, braking, acceleration... the list goes on and on. But as different as the two motorcycles are, I have been able to use the extra track time to my advantage. Last year, I had back to back races on the XR and then the 600 at Road America, WI. I had to jump right off of the podium of the XR1200 race onto my 600 for the Supersport race. Since it had rained overnight, the track conditions had changed a little and I was able to get a good feel of the grip and new slick surface and earn my first professional win! So to answer your question more precisely, the transition does bother me, and takes about a lap to fully "flip the switch," but at the same time I use it to my advantage

-Travis #24

·
My other ride is your bitch
1,872 Posts
Whatcha gonna do with those X forks you pulled off the front. If ya wanna sell them I might be interested.

·
Things are not always what they seem to be.
2,078 Posts
Very Cool. Can't wait to see the rest of the transformation photos!

·
Super Moderator
12,559 Posts
Hey Travis, is the new bike for you or are you adding another rider to the stable? Looks like you guys are gunning for that $60,000 check they are handing out at the end of the season.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
LMAO.....waiting on parts :nana: :nana:.....so, even the pro jocks have to wait on parts :)..... Lol....I feel your pain :)

Are you riding any short track this year?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Fun! Just want to hang out here.

·
Kinder gentler machine gun world
4,489 Posts
Cool thread....waiting for the parts...........

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
02 sensor eliminators? How does the bike tune itself? Can you manually adjust the tune?

·
Live life like u mean it !
4,578 Posts
Interesting thread.
Thanks for taking the time to post.....keep the info rolling in...:)

·
www.jp2code.net
20,696 Posts
Hey Clayton,

Thanks for the updates.

Speaking of that V&H race kit, do many use that nice Rear Set that comes as an accessory? It's like $700, and made by Giles, I believe. Nice!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts