XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in my 06 Victory Hammer for an all black XR1200 4 weeks ago and couldn't be more happy. Well I could be more happy if the XR had a 6 speed tranny. My only real complaint about the bike. I bought the Hammer in Columbus Ohio where the roads are flat and straight. Late last year I transferred jobs to Huntington where there are plenty of windy twisty roads which begged for a better handling bike. I don't particularly care for crotch rockets and I have always liked the "naked" bikes. Like many here I was dumbfounded when HD released the XR in Europe but not in the US. I think the XR fills a nitche that was missing from the HD lineup of cruisers and baggers.
Getting off of the Hammer and onto the XR is completely night and day. The upright riding style, the very sportbike handling and the very broad torque curve of the XR fits me and the winding roads here very well.
I have already ordered the Dash slipons and Remus Powerizer from Adrenalinmoto. Can't wait to get some more sound out of the V twin and maybe a couple of HP.

Do I understand correctly that the catalyst is in the stock slipons? There is nothing restrictive I would have to remove from the stock pipes to increase the flow?

I would appreciate suggestions on the best intake mods to work with the Powerizer and Dash slipons. Those are the only changes I am planning this riding season.

It is great to be apart of this group. There are some very knowledgable people on here and I hope to learn from you.

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
sweet!

West Virginia! What a great place to own an XR....you're a lucky guy.

The US model XR has no cat, period. With the Dash slipon's and the powerizer you should feel quite an improvement across the powerband.

General concensus is the air intake is the choke point on getting more power from these things. Options are a pipercross filter and an Adrenalin airscoop....K&N doesn't have a filter out yet....someone will eventually figure out an airbox fix.

Oh, the thing that would get you the biggest gain....call your dealer and order the Orange tank cover and seat pan.....then you'll be smoke!

West Virginia, Mountain Momma, take me home, Country Roads!

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
Welcome aboard Craig. Update us when you install the mods as I'm looking to do the same. I will visit your state in August for a BMW rally in Boyer. Been there on a bike before, and looking forward to doing it again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try the Pipercross filter. Thanx.

I did not want to pay $350.00 for a partially orange bike. I know several painters that would love to get hold of the all black "canvas" that is my bike. This winter I will let one of them create a custom paint scheme for the XR.

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Glad you don't like crotch rockets because you XR will out run half the J models. I went out today with black jeans, roadrace boots, half helmet with face shield and a orange t-shirt with the sleaves cut off. Might be considered cross dressing but there are a few sport bike riders hating life because they were passed by a fat guy and could not keep up. XR's Rule! You'll love it ! :clap: Later,

·
semper ubi sub ubi
74 Posts
Hi from WV 2

Where are you in the Mountains? I am in huntington... Hope to see you around some time. You goin to the dragon when they settle a date? Where did you get yours? WVHD, Charlies, wytheville or somewhere else?

Send me a PM sometime if you are down this way.

Rich

I traded in my 06 Victory Hammer for an all black XR1200 4 weeks ago and couldn't be more happy. Well I could be more happy if the XR had a 6 speed tranny. My only real complaint about the bike. I bought the Hammer in Columbus Ohio where the roads are flat and straight. Late last year I transferred jobs to Huntington where there are plenty of windy twisty roads which begged for a better handling bike. I don't particularly care for crotch rockets and I have always liked the "naked" bikes. Like many here I was dumbfounded when HD released the XR in Europe but not in the US. I think the XR fills a nitche that was missing from the HD lineup of cruisers and baggers.
Getting off of the Hammer and onto the XR is completely night and day. The upright riding style, the very sportbike handling and the very broad torque curve of the XR fits me and the winding roads here very well.
I have already ordered the Dash slipons and Remus Powerizer from Adrenalinmoto. Can't wait to get some more sound out of the V twin and maybe a couple of HP.

Do I understand correctly that the catalyst is in the stock slipons? There is nothing restrictive I would have to remove from the stock pipes to increase the flow?

I would appreciate suggestions on the best intake mods to work with the Powerizer and Dash slipons. Those are the only changes I am planning this riding season.

It is great to be apart of this group. There are some very knowledgable people on here and I hope to learn from you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Rich. I am in Huntington as well. I'm surprized I haven't run into you somewhere. I run all over the place.
I purchased my XR from Charlies.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rich and Craig
I'm in Logan. I haven't seen another XR on the road yet. I'm having a blast on the backroads around here.
Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hillbillys

Rich and Craig
I'm in Logan. I haven't seen another XR on the road yet. I'm having a blast on the backroads around here.
Ed
I live in VA just across the line from Bluefield. There is another XR running around here but I have not caught him. We all ought to hook up for a good mountain road ride, it aint like there is a lack of them between Bluefield and Huntington.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome! Logan - oh-oh! Pretty soon we're going to see photos of an XR1200 with dual sport tires running the trails at Hatfield-McCoy. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny you should mention that. Last Saturday am I was riding up Rt. 10 and something made me turn onto the Peach Creek Bridge. At the end of the paved road, there is a hook up with the BearWallow section of HM. I couldn't resist. I rode to the top of the mountain to an area the locals know as Piney Flats. It's about 3 or 4 miles of dirt road in decent shape. I'm on the original tires but had no problems. It's a whole different ride vs. my KTMs. The XR makes small ruts and bumps disappear. It goes through those obstacles, not over them like the dirt bikes. It handled surprisingly well, but I don't think I'd want to tackle anything more gnarly than a fire road due to weight and lack of suspension travel.
On the way back down, I met a couple of young guys drinking beer in a pickup truck. They stopped me and one of them said "what the hell are you doing?" The driver kept saying "you went up there on a GD Harley?" They were both laughing their asses off.
That will probably conclude the "dirt biking" with the XR, but it was kind of fun.
Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As much as I love riding in the dirt and on the trails I believe I will restrict my XR1200 riding to the pavement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Craig, it's definitely a pavement bike. I had seen an earlier post about using it as a dirt bike. Being a long time dirt bike rider, I knew there was no way. But, I had to try riding up this dirt road and was really surprised at how well the XR handled. I think it's a testament to the work done by the test riders to sort the chassis. To be a usable dirt bike, it would have to lose at least 200 lb and double the suspension travel. It wouldn't be the same bike.
But, it's good to know that if you hit a dirt road, you can handle it, and have a little fun kicking the back end out coming off the turns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.