XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I own a 09 black XR1200 along with my 09 Soft Tail custom. Love both bikes especially the 1200, being a former crotch rocket owner for the past 25 years. My XR1200 has only 500 miles on it as it is only 3 weeks old, have noticed I have had to wipe down and keep watching the area around the oil drain and speedo cable for an annoying oil seep/drip. Anyone else having this issue? Have a good day, be safe, Fred.

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Fred, welcome! Glad you found us. What part of the world do you live in?

Your oil leak is a new one....we've had some leaks reported around the rocker boxes, the oil lines around the cylinder base on the left side, and some issues because of the routing of the transmission vent line....but that's it so far. I'm sure someone here will be able to help figure out what's going on with yours.

Congrats on the scoot. You're gonna dig it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fred, Welcome to the forum. Two '09 Harleys eh? You'll create a bit of envy with those, even if you are like many of us and the Softail sits in the garage while you enjoy that XR!

Could you describe a bit, from where you are seeing oil seepage (since the XR doesn't have a speedo cable)?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the oil seepage is around the oil drain plug and where the clutch cable goes into the tranny, speedo cable? yeah well orange juice was on sale yesterday and you know how well that goes with Beefeaters.....I am home for lunch right now and I rode the XR pretty hard around post this morning, I will let it sit for a bit and check it before i go back to work. Take care, Fred.

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Fred, welcome! Glad you found us. What part of the world do you live in?

Your oil leak is a new one....we've had some leaks reported around the rocker boxes, the oil lines around the cylinder base on the left side, and some issues because of the routing of the transmission vent line....but that's it so far. I'm sure someone here will be able to help figure out what's going on with yours.

Congrats on the scoot. You're gonna dig it!
Magoo,
Don't forget the leaks that I and others have reported where to oil cooler lines go into the thermostat under the cam cover.

And welcome Fred.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, for not completely answering the first post. I am a retired Army Sergeant, currently living in Killeen, Texas. I spent the last year with the 3D BCT 1Id in Afghanistan as their Safety Officer. Previously to that i worked on Apache Helicopters for the last 25 years in the Army and as a contractor. Glad to be back home, Eastern Afghanistan is a rough place. Fred.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
the oil seepage is around the oil drain plug and where the clutch cable goes into the tranny, speedo cable? yeah well orange juice was on sale yesterday and you know how well that goes with Beefeaters.....I am home for lunch right now and I rode the XR pretty hard around post this morning, I will let it sit for a bit and check it before i go back to work. Take care, Fred.
Fred, run your hand along the clutch cable from where it enters the clutch cover back toward the front of the bike. There's an O-ring inside the clutch cover where the cable enters. That O-ring sometimes leaks...the oil seeps out onto the cable, then runs along the cable to the lowest point then drips off. It makes the leak look like it's coming from somewhere else.....but if the bottom of the clutch cable is oily that's where your leak is! :clap:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fred, welcome to the forum and congrats with the new bike.
Good to hear you made it back in one piece. Respect to all you veterans out there.

Keep the rubber side down and you will have lots of fun with the XR:D

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Welcome...

Fred, welcome to your forum & congrats on the new rig. Thanks for beating up the bad guys for us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.