XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick one to say g'day, I live in Adelaide South Australia, the same place as Lofty Bob. Its not a bad location to settle down in as we have a mountain range nearby that is definately XR1200 country (the mountains are on the smaller scale but the roads are great), its fun surprising the Ducati riders when you overtake them in the corners on a Harley. Even if you cant overtake them its still good keeping up with them and that tends to upset them just as much. I discovered the XR1200 when they were being released in England and it was then that I knew I had to have one, but unfortunately I had to wait almost another six months before I got my hands on one. Ive had mine now since early November 08 and since then I've clocked up 17,837 hassel free klicks. No matter what conditions I've come across on the road, be it 42 degree C heat or several days of monsoon type rain the XR1200 hasnt miss a beat which is more than I could say for myself. 42 degrees on the Hay Plains I felt that I was melting and two days of heavy rain with no wet weather gear, (it was summer, who needs wet weather gear?) I now know what its like to be a drowned rat on a sports bike. The only problem that I have had so far was riding through a plague of locusts up past West Wyalong in NSW in December, the locusts bent every fin on the oil cooler and almost blocked the air intake grill but it didnt effect the bikes performance in the slightest. Which was more than I could say for myself, I went from 160kph to 20kph in about 6 seconds and stayed that way for another 15-20 klicks and it hurt like hell, it was a bad time to have an open face helmet and fingerless gloves. Just to make sure I dont have any problems in the future my oil cooler now has a protective grill cover. Being single I have the advantage of spending up on my bike, I have all the bags for touring, the rack, pillion backrest ,sports screen and I also have a heap of carbon fibre parts and go fast gear from Adrenalin-Moto (thanks Matt, the gear is great). My Remus pipe goes on next week if my Power Commander unit arrives in time, but the net result is that my XR1200 is the perfect bike for me, it does everything I want it to do and I cant stop riding it...my ultimate bike. As far as the rest of my life goes thats easy....48 years old, 32 years spent in the army, married 3 times, now single again, I have nine children 3 boys, 6 girls and 3 grandchildren and the only thing that keeps me sane is riding my XR1200. Im glad that this is only a quick intro, but I cant help talking about my bike. And as they say..."Life is Good".
Cheers XRDave :cool:

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Welcome from the flip side of the planet

Welcome XRDave, look forward to hearing some more of your experiences with the XR, I have had mine since Jan 09, have about 1,300 miles and enjoy it greatly,

Tony

·
I piss excellence!
131 Posts
welome!

Welcome to the forum XRDave! Sounds like a great place to live.....great ride report! Except for that locust story......the members who live in Florida and South Alabama probably have similar stories but instead of locust we have lovebugs.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard about your love bugs and they sound pretty bad, I think you could toss a coin on which one is worse. Australia is very simular to the States in many ways. I spent a short time in Washington State back in the early 90's, it was colder than I would have liked but I had a ball, the locals up there made me feel very welcome. Unfortunately I didnt get the opportunity to head south, so I'll have to rectify that in the future and knowing my luck I will get to experience the love bugs for myself. But in the mean time its great to have a place were us XR owners can hang out and compare notes without having to go through some degree of Sportster negativity that I have noticed in a few other places.

·
Crikey mate!
230 Posts
G'day mate - so I'm wondering if we've ever crossed paths?

I'm only a few years younger, grew up in South OZ, did a 6 year tour in the ARMY.

I live in Los Angeles now - been here about 10 years - I think it's safe for me to come back now ;)

Shoot me a PM or email if you like, be cool to share some more info.

Cheers and welcome :D

Oh yeah, and I've hit one of those locust plagues during a M/C trip from Liverpool (Holsworthy) to Adelaide - it was a night, and all of a sudden my lights stared to dim and I couldn't see sh*t - it was the freakiest thing

·
A few roos short in the front paddock
88 Posts
Greetings from Gippsland

Good to see you on board Dave,
Those hot days a week before the fires here I rode across 2 of the normally,coldest places in Australia. Mt Hotham & Kosiosko I think it was 43 degrees c.
A couple of bikes went down. melting bitumen is slippery shit. The oil cooler got stoned & crudded with bitumen. Now remedied. Enjoy your ride.
marx:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive never heard of Kosiosko and Mt Hotham being that hot before, you expect it on the Hay Plains but not up there though. I am also surprised that HD didnt provide a guard of some description for the oil cooler. Being all exposed out there, its prone to get damaged from just about anything and I cant believe it only gets damaged in Australia. I did get an oil cooler guard from ebay, only to find several days later that I could have got it cheaper from Matt at Adrenalin Moto. But even that didnt help today, somehow a small rock was picked by my front wheel which then bounched off my left knee and then it went straight onto the unprotected side of my oil cooler. Some days you are just not meant to win, I must have been a real scumbag in my past life to keep getting into all my "shit happens" situations. And thanks Marx, Im still enjoying my ride. Somehow I dont think that I will ever get tired riding her. :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome Dave! I grew up in South Africa - can't say I've had to ride through a swarm of locusts, but how's a swarm of bees grab you:eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She'll be right, Ive been stung by the odd bee every now and again over the years whilst I've been out riding. But I will definately pass on a swam of the buggers:eek:, you can keep them for yourself. Hitting the swam of locusts was actually quite funny except for the damage they did to the oil cooler. It doesnt matter where you are in the world, there is always something out there to make your day alittle bit more interesting. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.