XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added this to their XR? States it works on our bikes.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@ geno
I feel for you and I am the same way. You get used to how far you can go, and know when that light comes on how how much further you can go. If our bikes were meant to have a fuel gauge, it would be there already.

In a few older posts, I see were XR Owners would rather have an oil temperature gage, rather than a fuel level gauge.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,827 Posts
If the gas level gauge kit was available & cheap enough I'd get it. Not because I really need one but more just for fun. Although I'm not sure how much mucking around would be involved in fitting it, it's almost guaranteed to work in an XR, our master cylinder and fuel filter/pump are standard Sportster issue.

Like Geno I have a general sense of having ridden about 200 km or 2 hrs on the highway which is when it's time to stop and organise some fluid throughput. Usually for me as much as the bike. But an oil level gauge is genuinely useful. Especially the HD digital one which gives you an oil temp as well as the oil level. XR's run warm, Australia is generally a warm climate country, and I can say thanks to the oil cooler and that little HD gauge (bought in these pages) I know for a fact my oil is at around 98C after say 30 mins of run time, regardless of ambient temp. Even in the height of a hot Australian summer the oil doesn't get much hotter.

Disclaimer: my last bike had a warning light for low oil level which saved the motor on one occaision when the idiot owner neglected to check the oil before riding interstate so after that I became a believer in oil level gauges.

J.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those that want to know...

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,827 Posts
For those that want to know...

I read the reviews incorporated into that site. Definitely not getting one now!

J.

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
We already have a good fuel gauge. The odometer.

Reset at fuel up, and refill by 125 miles. Dead on accurate!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts