XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Liquid Fluid Gas Tints and shades Electric blue
Saw this front fender for sale. It is off of a V- Rod It looks a bit wider than the XR but the bracket recess looks the same. Question; Has anyone tried to fit a V-rod front fender to the XR? I like the aluminum look.

· used ta could
2,428 Posts
Member Tiger Mann has that fender on his bike with a shortened bracket bringing it down closer to the tire of his 17"er and it looks great. I'm not near my pictures or I'd put one up.

· Lightning is calling me…….she says “Thunder – you
246 Posts
Here you go - the V-rod fender mounts backwards but the mount is identical to the XR. I took an XR-X bracket and shortened it 1" (for my 17" wheel), then an aluminum V-rod fender and powedercoated it satin black.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Lightning is calling me…….she says “Thunder – you
246 Posts
Rudedog -
Looks just like mine did before I got a 17" wheel, cut down the bracket, and changed colors:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· used ta could
2,428 Posts
I recently discovered that the fender mounts on the early forks are 1/2" further away from the wheel center than the X forks. That holds the fender farther away from the tire. That's why the fenders on the non X bikes are so high up. I made a fixture to shorten the fender bracket for the 17" wheel on my X only to find it didn't get as low as I'd like on the Non X with a 17. I bet it would be perfect for your situation if you wanted to get that new aluminum bad boy closer to the tire. I recommend getting a second bracket if you want to hack one up and keeping the original as.....original, for resale. If you have the means and the desire I would loan you the fixture. You could modify it if needed.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recently discovered that the fender mounts on the early forks are 1/2" further away from the wheel center than the X forks. That holds the fender farther away from the tire. That's why the fenders on the non X bikes are so high up. I made a fixture to shorten the fender bracket for the 17" wheel on my X only to find it didn't get as low as I'd like on the Non X with a 17. I bet it would be perfect for your situation if you wanted to get that new aluminum bad boy closer to the tire. I recommend getting a second bracket if you want to hack one up and keeping the original as.....original, for resale. If you have the means and the desire I would loan you the fixture. You could modify it if needed.
Thanks for the offer every mod I have made on my bike I have purchased a part new or used and modified it and keep the stock original in storage. Thanks for the offer on the fixture but I will purchase another fender bracket and cut and paste. Again thanks for the info and the offer.

· used ta could
2,428 Posts
If I may flog this horse just a little bit more.......If you plan on buying another fender bracket to modify I recommend the early model like the one you have as opposed to the later model with the cutouts. I can't believe I'm the only one that has had this happen. My bracket broke across one of the holes. I put a lot of miles on my bike and I travel on a bumpy dirt road every day. You may be all right but you have added a lot of leverage with the longer fender and I would hate for your bracket to fail also so I'm obligated, as a dude, to share my experience and give advice😁. I think the early brackets can just be redrilled to lower them.?.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts