XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
used ta could
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an experience with an aftermarket front axle? My gut tells me to buy a HD part. I bent mine in a wreck. There's lots of cheaper axles on ebay. Probably made in Taiwan. I would pay more for a performance part if there is one. I don't want used. It could be in the same condition as mine. haha

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
The OEM HD part is pretty soft metal (don't ask me how I know, I have bought 2). I think they are that way for a reason so as not to bugger up other parts. Aftermarket is probably A-OK.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
What is the price difference? There are certain things that I’d use factory, and had to buy a front axle too. Previous owner install/parts have broken inside forcing replacement. It’s your call.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Here in the Shop a oem Frt. Axle costs around 150,-$.
Allways buy a origin if possible.I dont know the Aftermarket Axles.
The XR Axle is dif. from the Sportsters.XR Axles are a little tricky to handle with.First never push it out when its seized.
Dont use a tool that fits in the Axle,they will crack/Split.Allways smoothing the Edges on the bigger End or they will not fit easy into the Forklegs.At this Point check the F-Legs .Use a File,Knive or Sandpaper.Axles must fit by Hand without any Power,Smoooooth....))))

·
Bucking the trend
84 Posts
Ronnies online shows a factory XR axle for $71.49 US.
Not too bad. Not sure I'd trust off brand, but a well known aftermarket should be ok (if there are any).

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I bought a new factory axle from H-D and all is good. Yes, I would not buy an aftermarket one.

·
Wapiti Slayer
608 Posts
I have an extra OEM one that is fine. Lmk if you want it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts