XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Fred and I'm from Wilmington, OH USA and I've owned an orange XR-1200 for two weeks now and it's the best bike I've ever owned. I bought mine from Biker Bob's Harley/Buell in Taylor, MI.

I traded in a Buell 1125R. I had some reliability issues with it and it was pretty uncomfortable for trips over 20 miles. Prior to the 1125R, I owned a 2000 Buell M2-Cyclone. In my opinion, the XR-1200 is a "modern-day" version of the M2-Cyclone although it's build quality is quite-a-bit nicer.

I've added the Harley saddlebags (which I'm quite pleased with) and the windshield (which is a bit rattley -- If anyone has installed the windshield, please contact me -- I have some questions about the "Belleville Washers"). I plan on doing some ECM (CAN) changes to the XR-1200 on an experimental basis. If anyone is interested in reports on these mods and their result, please contact me.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting and learning about the XR-1200 on this board.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
nice!

Welcome....keep us posted as you figure the XR out...your Buell experience can be of great value here!

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Hey Fred welcome aboard, i moved this post from its first location so everyone would see it, hope you dont mind.

Admin (magoo) must have been to busy chatting the chicks up in his office :D

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Admin (magoo) must have been to busy chatting the chicks up in his office :D
Lol....I should post their pic's....but I'm sure they'd sue me or something..[:)]..

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Busted!

Thanks Magoo. I like your reference to "Crossroads" in your moniker.
Thanks feinstei! I wondered how many people caught that. I like my music with a blues/southern rock accent. I've got about 10 guitars around the house but just don't play much anymore...

Now figure out which member's using a Grateful Dead line as their signature. [:)]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome!

Hi Fred,
Welcome to the group, lots of nice people here with good advice and lots of miles on their XR's already. I never thought HD would make a bike that would get me to spend my money on one, but they did. I love my XR.

I came close to buying a Buell back in '98. Rented one in Vegas and rode the hell out of it around Nevada and Arizona for two weeks. Got back to Detroit and got cold feet! I didn't like the way the dealer, which was Bob's back then but called a different name, handled the Buell's. Turned me off, so I walked out.

Glad to hear you bought the bike up here----we need the money bad!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Motown-XR!
Thanks for the welcome. I visit Detroit several weekends a month (Livonia) -- hope to run into you there. Biker Bob's gave me no particular bargain, but I bought my Buell 1125R from them and they gave a moderate trade-in on it when I bought my XR1200.

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Thanks feinstei! I wondered how many people caught that. I like my music with a blues/southern rock accent. I've got about 10 guitars around the house but just don't play much anymore...

Now figure out which member's using a Grateful Dead line as their signature. [:)]
or an Arlo Guthrie location...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bike Night

Feinstei--not sure what your schedule is but Thursday night is bike night in trendy little Royal Oak, just off Woodward Avenue and I-696. Usually 300 or more bikes parked along Main Street for several blocks. Lots of good food and pubs with outside seating, good for keeping an eye on your bike.

Cybrdyke, if you get up this way on a Thursday check it out. Let me know if you plan on stopping in.

Mo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Motown XR,
Yes, I used to go to Bike Night in Royal Oak when I lived up in Detroit (I lived near 10 Mile & Greenfield). Unfortunately, I live down near Cincinnati now, so Thursdays are out. I am excited about going to the Buell 26th Homecoming in Milwaukee on June 3rd though! The group of Buell owners is taking a tour of the newly opened Harley Museum which I'm anxious to see (being a first-time Harley owner).

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
A belated welcome aboard Fred. Just saw the posting and had to respond. Owned a 96 S1 and an 06 Uly. My XR is, beyond a doubt, the best Harley product I've owned. Also have the bags and the windshield. Did you ever get the rattling windshield sorted out?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi WildWilly and ssssscooter,

I bought my bike in Taylor, MI at a place called Biker Bob's. Unfortunately, it was not a good "new bike" experience since they didn't give me the bike that was listed on my title as well as not checking the bike over before delivering it to me (the throttle was mis-aligned which caused it not to spring back to the idle position resulting in a potentially unsafe condition -- luckily, with help from the Service Manual, I properly adjusted the throttle as well as some other loose bolts that this dealership forgot to tighten).

My problem with the mis-assembly of the windshield was solved with help from others on this board. It was a result of my own simple stupidity. My problem was that I installed the cap washers backwards!

Thanks for the good wishes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome! I just bought my XR a few weeks ago, and love it. My two previous bikes were Buells, an XB12r Firebolt and an XB9SX CityX. Loved them both, but was looking for something a bit different. I'm in Columbus, but do a lot of riding down in the Hocking Hills area.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Robert,
I am enjoying my XR-1200 immensely. I find it to be very close in terms of handling and rider positioning to my 2000 Buell-M2 Cyclone. Luckily though it's a more modern bike and is mechanically better suited for touring. I live in Wilmington (down I-71 from you). Might be worth getting a group of Southwest Ohio XR-1200 owners together one of these days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Scooter!

I got my XR at Detroit HD at 10 Mile and Van ****. Have been treated really well there. The tech I was introduced to, Kris, told me to break the XR in and at the 1,000 mile oil change and inspection he can put it on the dyno and get a few more hp out of it easily.Our bikes are conservatley tuned from the factory, read that as "lean" for emissions, and can be juiced up a bit for better performance.

Kris has done two XR's so far like this and not only more hp but the engine runs a little cooler and smoother. Those owners added aftermarket pipes which helped even more.

I'm going with a Pipercross airfilter as K&N seems to be taking too long to get theirs on the market, and leaving the stock pipes on. I'm living in a neighborhood with a lot of non-bikers and seniors so I don't want the noise.

Understand that to adjust the ECM to get different settings takes a chip or module. I got the HD chip that will let Kris change settings and will stay with my XR for any future changes or go with it if I sell.

I added the short flyscreen and am very happy with it. On the Xway it blocks just enough airflow so as to not rip you off the bike. Somewhere in our threads a rider said he had problems with the screen reflecting light at night, but I think he had it adjusted too low and it was picking up light off the headlight. He also said he changed the headlight bulb to something brighter, which I will do also.

I got the bungee bars, the rear signal brake light conversion kit, and the rounded foot pegs. Happy with all those too.

I live on the east side off 8 Mile Road, not quite as bad as M&M's movie. Send me a PM if you are up this way. Thursday's are bike night in Royal Oak.

Mo :scooter:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.