XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following F1 since the 90’s but more religiously since the early 2000’s. Watched the Indy Car Feeder Racers come up to F1 in the 99’s, and now I fly the F1 Flag the entire race weekend, watch practice, qualifying, and races live. Love the technology, but hate the new commentators as I can’t hear the engine sounds over the stupid commentators. I wish thaey would shut up for a while to hear the engine sounds, but they keep talking all the time. I want to see Hamilton make history with his eighth career championship. OK enough, who else watches F1?

Wheel Tire Plant Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Not me since Michael Schuhmacher starts and finish his F1 Carriere.
He started and lives just 60 mls away from my Place.
A few Seasons after he stops i lost Interest more and more.

Some F1 Tracks not so far,around 3 Hrs from the Place i live but 500,-$ + enter Fees are fare too much.
Nürburgring,Spa Franchorchamps,Hockenheim,the Places to go.Even Magny Cours ,Hungaro Ring.Just 6 Hrs to go.

In the 80ies we watching Moto GP Races from the Forest edges around the Tracks.Campfire,wet sleeping Bags and foggy Streets to the next Bakery......i allways remember these Times.
40 Yrs ago.Just Memories.:p

Lewis Hamilton,,Go on".

·
Registered
824 Posts
I followed F1 on and off over the years .
The 70s with James Hunt, Niki Lauda and Mario Andretti . Not much in the 80s with the Turbo light switch Engines.
Mid 90s to early 2000s I would follow it until they started doing the one brand of tires..
Started following last 4-5 years, I miss the fuel stops but it is safer now.
The last few years had a lot F1 political interference, to slow down the Mercedes.
This year Verstappen has given Hamilton a lot of grief .
Max is an aggressive driver , having had run in with Leclerc and Vettel the last few years.
This year has been a lot of finger pointing and name calling.

You can watch the Youtube video with 360 degree by clicking on the white dot the screen
360° Cam: Lewis Hamilton And Max Verstappen's Crash | 2021 Italian Grand Prix

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have Netflix, you will like this:

Human Font Adaptation Screenshot Musical instrument

Reactions: hhauto

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@hhauto

Max needs to be patient, and stop the cutting off as he passes other drivers. He expects others to allow him to pass, but he still has a lot to learn.

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,418 Posts
I watch it some. Been watching Indy car more this year.
Wish they would show more motorcycle racing here.
Seems to be hit or miss and you never know when it is on.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
12,676 Posts
Been following F1 it seems like forever. Met Nigel Mansell on Press Day at the 1993 Indy 500. It was a unique and quite funny meeting. Nigel, along with the other drivers emerged from the press briefing. He was immediately surrounded by a gaggle of reporters since this was his first year in Indy cars following his F1 career, Nigel was considered a "rookie" . I was standing by myself about 30 feet away from him, I had a tall beer in one hand was attempting to get my Cannon camera with a 200 mm zoom in my other hand up to get a picture. I dropped the beer but caught it just before it hit the ground (it was a good recovery). Nigel happened to see my brilliant catch. He kind of chuckled and let out a loud, "Whoopsie Daisy!" He then left the reporters and came over to me kind of laughing and told me I had reminded him of something. He then told me a story about a time when he was having a cuppa tea with one of his crew chiefs. He said he asked the crew chief for the time and without thinking the crew chief rotated his wrist to look at his wristwatch, which happened to be in the same had he was holding his tea. Nigel said the crew chief spilled his tea. He then let out another "Whoopsie Daisy!" I remember telling him that I had followed his F1 career, and being the superstar that he is, when he emerged from the Press Room I wanted to get a picture and while juggling my camera, the beer slipped. He said it was a good catch. We had a laugh then he said, "Enjoy the race", offered his hand for a handshake then returned to the reporters. It was a great memory.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
2,058 Posts
I began following F1 in the mid 1980's, the era of Senna emerging, Prost, Berger, and the Australian 1980 F1 WDC Alan Jones fading. Adelaide got an F1 race for 10 years from 1985 which was a huge deal for basically a large country town out in the colonies. No question that back then F1 was wilder, had more personalities, more explosive machinery eg. the 1985 BMW 1.5L turbo car worth 1500 hp in qually trim, and MUCH more noise than the present day (sadly). I kept an eye on F1 for the Adelaide era, & actually got there for the 1993 Aus GP, which tragically turned out to be Senna's last win. Then in 1996 Melbourne successfully pinched the race and we've had it for 25 years, give or take the Covid ommisions. From 2002 through 2013 I crewed in the trackside medical team for the Melbourne race. I was lucky enough to have a few years of that spending all 4 days of the event in pit lane so I got to see many, many cars and notable identities up close. It was amazing at first but you became blase` about it very quickly. The medical uniform & comms gear you wear opened numerous doors and a few times I was even able to enter the paddock area behind the pits and mingle with the "beautiful people"...and guess what, most of them aren't actually all that beautiful. The genuinely nice people were a treat to deal with, though. Although I'm not an autograph hunter, I got Sir Jackie Stewart's autograph and he was a real gentleman, as was Jensen Button. Some well known others, well, don't ask. Here's a laugh, though. One day I went into the men's toilet, located off a breezeway b/n the paddock area and pit lane. I just needed to make a local call so I stepped up to the splasher and commenced proceedings. In comes a Jordan driver (no names, no pack drill but he was a pay driver who achieved no great success in F1) who stands beside me, peels off half his yellow overalls and has a pee also. I didn't expect any conversation from him or even to be acknowledged, which was fine, but what really got me was when he finished up up he walked straight out without washing his hands. Charming, eh? See what I mean about the beautiful people? Anyhow, I think the moral of the story is, be careful who you shake hands with at race meetings. And maybe carry some hand sanitizer.

Even so, I count myself very lucky to have seen and heard some super exotic machinery up close, eg the 1993 Ferrari V12 F1 car (what a sound!), the normally aspirated V10 and V8 F1 cars of the 2000's, and also I encountered a number of the F1 movers and shakers of that time, Fernando Alonso, Jensen, Flavio Briatore, Bernie Ecclestone, Charlie Whiting, Professor Sid Watkins, the Australian purchaser of Minardi, Paul Stoddart, and very briefly, Mark Webber, the Aus driver who ended up winning 9 F1 races before retirement. It was all good fun if you don't mind giving away 4 days of your time and potential income earnt, as most trackside personnel including medical, firies, crowd and vehicle control marshalls are unpaid. The deal, at least in Australian events sanctioned though CAMS, has been for years that volunteers in essential services get 2 free event tickets which you can sell or give to friends/family etc. So that's some compensation.

Nowadays I watch it on TV but the 2014 onwards highly muffled 1.6L turbo V6's don't have much appeal for me, even less with massive hybrid battery augmentation of the ICE, plus all the artificial "enhancements" like KERS, DRS and so on. The modern cars have sprouted enough aerodynamic wings, slots, strakes and such to justify re categorisation as wheel driven airplanes, truly.
I find I detest the woke elements creeping into the sport, or should I say industry, or should I say televised entertainment platform (whose prime intent is to capture highly lucrative advertising) such as:
1. Getting rid of grid girls
2. The fostering of opaque F1 identities who've become terrified of saying something for which they might be crucified on Twitter so they say almost nothing of what they really think
3. Multi millionaire drivers kneeling on the grid in faux genuflection to the deities to atone for all of our supposed wicked racism

Oh boy...it all makes me puke, quite frankly. I know this dates me, but too bad. I made the move to Moto GP a few years back and have no regrets. I'll give F1 a look if it's on, but to me it's just a shell of it's former high caffiene, full fat, tasty & eye popping self. But if you guys like it as it is now, good on you. Each to his own.

Somehow though I doubt the 2010 - 2020 period will ever be regarded as a golden era for F1, unlike the 70's that I wasn't there for, or the 80's of which I saw some. Likely more it will be as one in which F1 lost its way to some extent, and is scrabbling for options which will again draw mass appeal. The global per race TV audience is still in the hundreds of millions but has been waning in the 2015 - 2020 period, you see. The Ver Stappen vs. Hamilton contest is a godsend for doing so, but 8 years of Mercedes Benz near to total dominance is not. 2022 should be a watershed year as the cars will be quite different, with 18" wheels, louder engines, minimised aero and a $140m total cost cap on teams coming into force. So watch this space. I will, but I have to admit, I'm a bit pessimistic. It would take a lot to win this old fart back.

J.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome stories!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Fuc* F1. I got turned on to the Aussie V8 supercars and I never looked back. F1 lost it's way.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Going to be an interesting race tomorrow, after that qualifying session. Sochi, Russia 5:00 am Pacific Time, ESPN2.

Bicycle part Font Auto part Parallel Automotive exterior

·
Registered
824 Posts
Again Hamilton shot himself in the foot.

"Hamilton topped both Q1 and Q2 for Mercedes in Sochi, and was the quickest driver on intermediates in Q3 before cars came in to switch to slick tyres.

As Hamilton came in to make the change, he clipped the wall at pit entry, leaving his Mercedes car with front wing damage and in need of a new one to be fitted.

While Hamilton was able to eventually get back out after moving aside for team-mate Valtteri Bottas in the pits, he struggled to get his slick tyres up to temperature, spinning into the wall in the final sector on his last lap.

Despite the mistakes, Hamilton still qualified fourth with his initial time on intermediates, having seen Lando Norris, Carlos Sainz Jr and George Russell all jump ahead on slicks."

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I watched it live but when it comes time for the race I think the tides will change, and Mercedes will end up on the top spot possibly the top two spots, and I don’t think Max is going to make it all the way back to the podium. Just my opinion. Max will need to get past “Maza-spin”. With rain in the forecast it’s a tossup and can throw my prediction out the window

Product Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot

Reactions: hhauto

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks to be rain for qualifying and the race this weekend. Even with a 10 place grid penalty, I don’t think that will stop Hamilton.

Light Product Font Line Screenshot

Human body Line Font Gesture Automotive mirror

1 - 16 of 16 Posts