XR1200 Owners Group banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Thanks @Shackman for the advice. I bought the voltmeter kit from a member here acways back. Installed it from the instructions, and did notice the fork bracket pivot bolt seems a little on the short side. Haven’t had any issues with it as it is, but will look into a longer bolt. Sure, add that info here for those that might want to add a steering damper.

As for Fast From The Past, I know Jim well, as I bought my Tarrozi Rearsets and Fork Brace from him when I raced my GPz550 in AFM 2010-2013. His sticker was on my race bikes all those years. Sent him a framed championship poster after winning Foumula Vintage. Nice guy!

Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Helmet Automotive tire

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I will admit, I am no Suspension Guru, but here is my 4.5” of fork travel I am getting, as they came off the bike. Does this mean anything? Too much? Too little?

Temperature Tool Measuring instrument Font Tape measure

· Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,729 Posts
Thanks @Shackman for the advice. I bought the voltmeter kit from a member here acways back. Installed it from the instructions, and did notice the fork bracket pivot bolt seems a little on the short side. Haven’t had any issues with it as it is, but will look into a longer bolt. Sure, add that info here for those that might want to add a steering damper.
OK, here it is. The NHK damper which I found at FFTP whose specs best fit the XR was model ODM3000E. The damper has a standard body diameter of 25 mm, a stroke of 195 mm and a total length of 395 mm. In April of 2020 it cost me $165 USD and $64 USD to ship to Australia. The NHK kit includes a nifty 2 bolt damper body clamp but members wanting to fit one to an XR need to source their own fork leg and frame down tube clamps. However both are readily available on eBay. The stroke length is critical; XR's aren't blessed from the factory with excessive steering lock (as I found out on my very first test ride from the dealer on mine, when I almost put it into the gutter trying to do a wheels up U turn in an average suburban street) and you need all of that 195 mm and some playing with clamp positions to retain all your existing lock to lock.
German/European members might be interested to know FFTP ship the damper with copies of TUV certification.

Trust all this helps.

J.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Forks shipped. Now the waiting begins. I feel like a parent sending a child off to camp for a few weeks, but I don't have any kids that I know of.

Updates as I get them.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Not much to report yet, but received this text yesterday:

Hello Corey,

Your repair order for your XR 1200 is tentatively scheduled to start 01/26/2023, you will receive another message when we have an update.

Thanks,

KFG MOTORSPORTS

41 - 46 of 46 Posts