XR1200 Owners Group banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi Mark. No updates as of yet, but as soon as I do have anything from them I will post it here.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mike from Ohlins has directed me to KFG Motorsports in Auburn, WA so I have sent them an inquiry.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, there is good news! KFG Motorsports can take the FKG 216 Cartridge Kit, normally used in the 2011-2015 Kawasaki ZX-10R, and modify them to work in the XR1200 Forks.

Hypersport NIX 30 Cartridge Kit (FGK 216) | Öhlins USA (ohlinsusa.com)

In order to keep my XR all Ohlins, this is the route I will be going. Will need to order the springs separate from the cartridge kit, based on my weight. More as this all unfolds... It has been a little over a year since starting this search. 😁😁😁

· Registered
23 Posts
Well, there is good news! KFG Motorsports can take the FKG 216 Cartridge Kit, normally used in the 2011-2015 Kawasaki ZX-10R, and modify them to work in the XR1200 Forks.

Hypersport NIX 30 Cartridge Kit (FGK 216) | Öhlins USA (ohlinsusa.com)

In order to keep my XR all Ohlins, this is the route I will be going. Will need to order the springs separate from the cartridge kit, based on my weight. More as this all unfolds... It has been a little over a year since starting this search. 😁😁😁
Cool on getting Ohlins parts.
Did you see that compression is in one fork, rebound on the other?

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Cool on getting Ohlins parts.
Did you see that compression is in one fork, rebound on the other?
Yes I did, and if that is how it is going to be, then I’m OK with it.

Reactions: Enchanter

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got off the phone with Ohlins in South Carolina just now, and he said KFG Motorsports in Washington will be handling these modifications including ordering all parts needed to make the FGK 216 Catridges fit the XR1200 Forks. KFG will order the springs based on my weight and set them up, so all I have to do is reinstall the forks when they arrive to me. This is not a direct cartridge install. There are other modified parts needed to be made to make them fit. This IS the same modification performed for the AMA XR1200 Series.

Ohlins also added the following comment about compression and rebound settings separate in each fork:
"Compression and Rebound in both legs is an outdated technology, so we do not use it anymore in any of our fork products."

6:00 am here on the West Coast, so I'll give it a few hours before calling KFG to start this ball rolling. (y)(y)(y)

· used ta could
2,487 Posts
I have the Traxxion Dynamics cartridges. They have the compression damping in one leg and the rebound in the other. I thought I was feeling a difference in corners when I would hit a bump. So I focused hard in left and right bumpy corners and I realized the twist I thought I was feeling was opposite in left and right corners. The forks were working great. Just a little chassis/swingarm flex.....Corey, are they going to install the Ohlins cartridges in your '09 forks or do you need BPF's?

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@ytman
They are will be installing those cartridges in my '09 Non-BPF Forks.

Reactions: ytman

· Registered
565 Posts
I think the UK and AMA bikes used the same Ohlins components so you should end up with a similar spec to mine, except maybe for the spring weights. It's a shame all the tech info that was available has now gone but at least the parts and expertise remain.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The ones in this link @JeremyConnors sold, are the same cartridges, and have the separate fork rebound in one, and compression in the other.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Looks like I am moving forward with the Ohlins FGK 216 Cartridges and Springs in my Non-BPF Forks. Just got an email from KFG and will be pre-ordering the cartridges and springs in advance, then sending them my forks in a few weeks to work the magic, having them set up for my weight and riding style. This is not just a one off service for me only, nor new to them, so when it is all complete, this same service can be “had” by any XR Owner that wants the same. I’ll post the price as well..

Overkill? Not for me, but you only live once, right, so why not!!!

· Administrator
8,790 Posts
Just for informational purposes, and not meaning to hijack Corey’s thread.
Andreani, the Italian company, also produces fork cartridge kits for the XR1200, one kit fits the Showa BPF forks found on the X models, and they use a different kit for the non X Showa forks.
Price range is about $685.00 US, factor in an additional $65.00 for shipping from Italy.
Regards
Roy

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
No problem Roy. There are a lot of options currently available.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Update:

KFG has all the information on installing the above mentioned cartridges in the BPF Forks(2011-2012), but not the information for the Non-BPF Forks (2009-2010). It can be done, but the information of what needs to be done to the earlier forks will be revisited and "cataloged" when I send in my forks. They don't have a complete cost on this until it is done, and I will post the current price. This will be for anyone else looking to have the same Ohlins Cartridges with springs based on your weight, when they are done. They will set them up with a base setting according tp your riding style or intentions. Winter is the slow time of year for stuff like this.

· Reading the Pictures
'12 "x" always in-the-works..
280 Posts
The ones in this link @JeremyConnors sold, are the same cartridges, and have the separate fork rebound in one, and compression in the other.

You are correct, @CoreyDSFA ! They're steering you the right direction, pun intended. 😉

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It's time to move forward with this. I have the day off today, and will be removing the forks, and pack them up for shipping to KFG Motorsports. Bike will be raised, strapped, and locked to the service jack while I await their return. I don't want to find the bike on the ground some morning. :rolleyes::mad: While the forks are out, I'll clean up and paint the mirror stems, and gauge brackets, that I should have painted before completing the bar change. Fork turn around time is unknown, but this is the off-season.

Pictures to come, as I know we all like pictures... :geek:

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Before I stated removing the forks, I found the recently purchased Kawasaki reservoir hose, was “weeping”. This weeping it like sweating. Originally had it with grey Tygon I bought from Motion Pro, but didn’t like the grey line look. The grey was only temporary till I got something factory, but the factory hose didn’t work. Finally got some Motion Pro Tygon in clear, and will keep an eye on it. I am using Motul Brake fluid.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Gas

Tin Automotive tire Fluid Tire Wood

Just so the forks are reinstalled with the same height of 0.250” as they were removed… If KFG recommends another height, then I’ll follow their recommendations.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design

Wood Clock Measuring instrument Watch accessory Gauge

Marked the position of the Ohlins Damper Bracket.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar Headgear

More than one way to skin a cat. Doesn’t take long to remove the forks. The guy that invented the zip-tie, is a God!!! Here is the info I found about the inventor:

Sato Engine Guard comes in handy holding the calipers in place until the forks return.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Engineering Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Auto part Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Secured the front with tie-downs on both sides, and the rear tire just touching the ground. Just waiting for the forks to be reinstalled.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

Reactions: bentiverstaurheim

· Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,728 Posts
Corey, just wondering if your steering damper fork attatching clamp could use a longer bolt? You seem to have a few mm of spare thread available there. From memory it's a 1/4" or 5.6 mm bolt. A regular zinc plated bolt is fine, you don't need HT there. I used a bolt sufficiently long to go in hex upwards and put a nyloc nut on the butt end with a couple of mm exposed. Has worked fine for a couple of years now with no vibe issues.
FWIW, Fast From The Past in Gainsville, Florida, offer a great & high quality NHK damper which fits the XR, although you need your own 43 mm fork leg clamp (easily found on Evil Bay) and a corresponding Sportster front down tube clamp also, to hold the damper body. If anybody would like a model no. or further details, just lmk and I'll dig it up.

J.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts