XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I am, a really nice X model will set you back about 11,500 or 12,000 USD and will usually have some nice pipes etc.

A lot of these bikes have old tyres from not being ridden often and possibly suspension that is a little tired compared to 11 or 12 years ago.

Has anybody serviced or rebuilt their front and rear X suspension back to new condition? Was it worthwhile?

My dilemma is whether I drop the $ on the X or spend maybe 50 to 60% on a low km regular model and put super fresh Ohlins suspension, BPF and floating discs on it.

The X model with new tyres and possible suspension rebuild is getting up toward the price of some reasonable new or newish bikes (not that I want those bikes, I want character and simple).

I guess the X is also quite different cosmetically with it's blacked out components which a lot of people seem to like, so an X model will always be the halo trim.

For me I quite like the silver cylinder barrels on the engine. It looks like an old school engine. Prefer the blacked out triple clamp etc though.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
E.g.

08 Non X - 3900 kms. Stock exhaust. $6k USD

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

11 X - 11,000kms. Stored indoors only. Never ridden in rain. Locked up in winter. V&H, stock pipes, XL handlebars, tail, ECU. One owner. Servicing by owner (older mechanic), so no 'book' history

$12,500k USD

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

This bike is seriously mint, even underneath is very gloss black!

Attachments

· My hovercraft is full of eels
1,092 Posts
IMO at least the rear X suspension isn't worth rebuilding. For the same price you could get some good, serviceable shocks. I just put some X shocks on my standard model and they're better than the original shocks, but they're not mindblowingly good. For $250 definitely worth it. I'm not an expert though, so if you find a shop that can rebuild them, it may be worth getting them freshened if they're shagged out.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gents!

Geeze it must have been an easy choice when these were new since the X was only slightly more than the poverty spec.

The White X is super nice overall and there is little I would do to it. I would feel bad riding it in the rain though, lol.

Might at least go check out the White X, it's only an hour away.

· Registered
122 Posts
Did I miss something, but I thought the XR1200X was the updated model that came out in later years. I personally have the early bike with Ohlins rear and reworked front. I think that will give you better ride than a stock X model

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did I miss something, but I thought the XR1200X was the updated model that came out in later years. I personally have the early bike with Ohlins rear and reworked front. I think that will give you better ride than a stock X model
Yes, most all the X models here are 10 or 11 models.

There are some 2010 non X models here too, so I guess both were available during a crossover period.

Did you upgrade to X forks or work with your stock items to improve?

The X is a bit special and desirable overall but is roughly twice the price and likely suspension getting a bit tired. Your approach on a non X bike sounds very good.

· Registered
853 Posts
Got to say I like the look of the White X, but the 6K will buy a lot of goodies for the Black non X, ie shocks, upgrade on forks and it'll handle better then the X afterwards, then again the White one is a nice looking bike with extras that you might be able to sell to recover some of the extra cost! Glad it's not my decision, but good luck with whichever you choose (y)

· Registered
1,741 Posts
wife says the X looks too similar to my current bike, can see her point... although I did have to point out which part the fuel tank is to her :ROFLMAO:
Ha. I was showing my wife a picture of the Panigale V2 Troy Balis edition and telling her I would like to buy it. She looked at the picture and said "don't you already own that one." And she meant it.

· Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,729 Posts
I'm in love with that V2 Panigale special edition. Only ~ $27K AUD, too. If only that wasn't also the price of admission for the new MG Mandello V100; the decision would be so much easier.

Now. Minto and rare pearl white XRx vs lightly used & much more common gloss black non x, tough choice. Only you can know how much the leftover $6.5K USD means to you. It sure would cover a lot of upgrades, as others have said above. For that much saved you could easily go 17" in front too, as well as toss in some Brembo rotors. I'm on the fence with this one. The non x deal is much better bang for buck, which appeals to my tight arse nature, but those pearl white x's are visually just gorgeous, this one all the more so for being very low km's and obviously in great nick. They were always rare, and today 10+ years after the XR1200's heyday, they're almost special enough to have a visible pemanent halo around them. I'm torn.

Tell you what, though: as your wife is clearly a discerning bike fancier, why don't you let her make the decision? Or is that tempting fate?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, had a look at a different plain Jane black 08 with about 10k on the clock and the white X.

In short, we made an awesome deal on the white X and I am picking it up in a few weeks! :D pretty stoked.

The black 08 was at a dealer with another couple of hundred bikes. I think it was 'fine' but basically in need of a light resto to make it nice. I am willing and able to do that, but the lack of history and a few other knocks and scrapes to the engine casings plus horrid aftermarket parts on it (with no originals) meant that it wasn't cheap enough for me to be interested in messing with it. I would if that was the only choice though.

Whereas the white X was the total opposite. Out come all the factory brochures, HD key case, sales quote, receipts, genuine tool kit, all the original parts bubble wrapped and in boxes, unused pearl white solo cowl and a set of coated V&H widows with baffles. The bike itself was stored in a temp controlled office/showroom building most of it's life and not ridden in rain ever he claims. I believe it. I wonder if it's even been hosed off with water before frankly! Original brake pads front and rear, second set of tyres which are pretty old but still quite sticky still.

Main mods are XL bars on it now which are much narrower than stock and relocated the turn signals to the forks plus removed the side reflectors.

I note that it has no alarm system fitted. Was this an option?

Extremely nice owner that just loved oddball and interesting machines and he has several including an incredible C4 Corvette here with just 22k on the clock, unrestored. Top to bottom was perfect.

it was a very unusual situation where the owner of a car dealer was also into bikes and just happened to be the single owner of this bike, in my city. That makes changing registration and many things a lot easier than buying from afar and the experience quite different to a regular dealer.

My plan is to learn as much as I can about these machines, ride it and preserve / maintain it largely as it is.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Glad you held out for the one you wanted, and it looks clean. Even if it is mostly stock, the white ones are not seen very often. If the tires are more than 5 years old, I'd recommend replacing them, regardless of how much tread is remaining. Security system was a factory option. Have fun with it, nd the Search Function will be your best library of topics about the XR.

Webike Japan has a lot of aftermarket accessories for the XR1200.
Webike: Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Gears, OEM parts & Reviews

Reactions: Mike in Japan

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad you held out for the one you wanted, and it looks clean. Even if it is mostly stock, the white ones are not seen very often. If the tires are more than 5 years old, I'd recommend replacing them, regardless of how much tread is remaining. Security system was a factory option. Have fun with it, nd the Search Function will be your best library of topics about the XR.

Webike Japan has a lot of aftermarket accessories for the XR1200.
Webike: Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Gears, OEM parts & Reviews
Thanks! This site has been amazing given there is about a decade of interaction from learned folk primarily focused on the XR.

Tyre's and brake hoses will be replaced as job#1.

Current owner is having all fluids and filters changed prior to pickup.

The white looks a lot better in person imo, especially with the solo cowl, quite a lot of metallic and pearl in it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts