XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I put the XR on her first phase of her diet. I built a new upper motor mount out of T6061 aircraft aluminum. The over engineered HD motor mount and the horn mount weighed in at a whopping 4.7 lbs I trimmed off 3.5lbs. This dont seem like much however phase 2-3 I will be making new parts for the tail light mount and the seat mount I can easily loose another 7-8 lbs there for a total of 10-12 lbs lost. I'm hopping the mount will hold up to the torque as there are no gussets welded in. If it fails I will rebuild it and weld a small triangle in for support. Now the testing begins. I already did a wheelie, several flat shifts and hard acceleration. So far so good. So my goal is to bring her down from 525 wet to just under 500lbs. Phase 4 will be a new rotor for the rear which should trim off a bit more. Phase 5 will be BPF which I understand are lighter as well. The biggie would be new set of wheels but that is out of my league at this time. Ill keep an eye on it and post back

motor mount 005.jpg motor mount 004.jpg motor mount 001.jpg motor mount 002.jpg motor mount 003.jpg motor mount 006.jpg

·
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you at 525 now?

After you trim down all the fat, how are you going to pull cars with chains tied around your frame? :confused:
Yes Joe 525 now with oil & fuel

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
"...I will be making new parts for the tail light mount and the seat mount ..."
Hey Jeff.... If you're interested in building and selling a set I would be interested in buying one...

·
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"...I will be making new parts for the tail light mount and the seat mount ..."
Hey Jeff.... If you're interested in building and selling a set I would be interested in buying one...
Frank the motor mount took 5hrs including design & mock up. It would be great for someone with a water jet, couple of min. When I make those mounts under the seat there will be welding involved & I dont do aluminum so I will need to farm that out. Cant wait to see how long it will take to make those. One at a time I'm sure.
Maybe we can get Mr. H to make some

·
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Jeff. So you're goint to farm something else out? Same guy as is doing the fairing? lol. Jimmy.
NO No no :nono: The tig is gonna be done by my exwifes boyfriend (yes she has had a cat bath too) She owes me a favor so I'm sure she will have him do it

·
Registered
546 Posts
Diet Recipe

Hi Jeff,
Nice work on the motor mounts! How did you get your bike down to 525 lbs wet? I'm curious to know if there's something I can still do to mine. At my last weigh-in, I was at 530lb with the CF body parts, Saddlemen's seat, 17" Buell wheels F&R, lighter wave floating rotors, 2 into 1 exhaust (minus heat shields) & SuperTrapp, removing the OEM tail-light, fender & signals, reflectors, OEM mirrors, removed passenger pegs, hangers and made a lighter muffler hanger, Buell style shifter, removed evaporative canister & bracket, installed smaller handlebars, etc.

Recently removed OEM front signals & replaced with lightweight Oberons, and put on a reeealy lightweight CF canister muffler in place of the S-Trapp.

I would estimate a ~5lb loss with these last 2 recent changes... so now at 525 lbs-ish.

So... let me know your 'recipe' to get to 525 lbs, eh? Mine started off at 580, just like the magazines published. I think there's another 10 lbs to safely dump, like the seat mount and tail light bracket, and whatever else I can find... hehehe. Oh and that 10 lb lighter battery when the time has come. That would bring her down to a svelte 505 or so.

Perhaps I missed something you did to yours?

Cheers!
BLIGHT

·
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blight honestly the largest weight savings was the Torque Hammer @ like 8lbs The old hunk of junk was 36lbs with brackets. I too have smaller bars,mirrors,your taillight design,your shifter design with lightening holes (of course) ,no reflectors, the stock break lines had some extra weight, there gone, lighter wave rotors. When we were at the tail of the dragon I had the opportunity to put her on a scale (525 wet). Magoos weighed in at 540 something. I will be making the ecm mount next, that thing looks heavy and installing a rear wave rotor. My bike is not a Cali bike so I didnt have the evap canister you say that had some weight to it. So its just stuff no wizardry here! :clap:

·
Straights are only to get to the next corner
2,686 Posts
Funny, the mags here weigh the XR consistantly at 565 lbs.

But shaving off 55 lbs (or 25 KGs) ?!? I sure like to see the list parts & mods that does that...

Great work on the mounts Jeff. Although personally I don't mind a bit of over engineering when it concerns motor mounts. :) They'll hold out when new. The catch is that aluminium hardens gradually from micro movement/bending so with aluminium the risk of failure increases over time.

I'm in for a light weight chrome-moly frame with a bold-on alloy rear section. Apart from the acient engine and stock exhaust, I think that the frame & wheels and possibly the swingarm are the heaviest parts compared to most modern bikes.

·
www.jp2code.net
20,696 Posts
@BLIGHT: Before putting my Torque Hammer on, I held both of my exhaust systems in each hand. The T-H (with muffler) was lighter than the stock header with 2-1 collector (no muffler).

Spring Picture

Summer (very dry) Picture

·
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

But shaving off 55 lbs (or 25 KGs) ?!? I sure like to see the list parts & mods that does that...

Great work on the mounts Jeff. Although personally I don't mind a bit of over engineering when it concerns motor mounts. :) They'll hold out when new. The catch is that aluminium hardens gradually from micro movement/bending so with aluminium the risk of failure increases over time.

I'm in for a light weight chrome-moly frame with a bold-on alloy rear section. Apart from the acient engine and stock exhaust, I think that the frame & wheels and possibly the swingarm are the heaviest parts compared to most modern bikes.
Richard you know that the TH had shaved 28lbs of this monster like I said earlier it was the single biggest weight loss I have used. The frame on this bike is way heavy, I would like to actually get an idea how much that swing arm weighs. This micro flex you refer to may come into play but maybe not. There is a dog bone like mount and it got some weight, there are rubber isolators in there so most of the shock that will flex the aluminum is lost. I hope! I still may have a gusset welded into it for strength

·
born stupid
1,509 Posts
The XR swingarm is light alloy - and beautifully made. I've had mine out twice for polishing and can tell you it's a load lighter than the equivalent box section item off a stock Jap bike - i.e. Suzuki Bandit or Yamaha XJR.
Don't have scientific measurements, but you don't need arms like Popeye to stand at the machine all day polishing this puppy - and it's beautifully made in 7 pieces and welded up really well.:)

If I was looking to shed weight, the swingarm would be last on the list. :cool::)

·
Registered
546 Posts

That 565lb is the Dry or shipping weight (even published by Harley) Wet-weight is more 'real world' and includes full levels of fuel and oil, which is rather necessary to ride. Many sources quote the 2009-2010 wet weight at 580 lbs. The 2011 and 2012 X models are 7 lbs lighter at 573 lbs wet... (HD website) likely the lighter suspension parts.

I posted my 'recipe' above to get her down to 530 lbs 'wet', and another 20+ is easily doable with the lighter battery and fabricating aluminum under-seat mounting plates. Looks pretty simple, and I'll do it once our rainy season starts. (2 more months)

I'm too busy riding the XR daily to tinker with it in this great weather! I guess if I were to put the 'X' suspension on I could lose another 7lb... bringing the total to (drum-roll).... 503 lbs!

BLIGHT

·
Registered
546 Posts
@BLIGHT: Before putting my Torque Hammer on, I held both of my exhaust systems in each hand. The T-H (with muffler) was lighter than the stock header with 2-1 collector (no muffler).
I can believe that! The H-D headers are very thick SS. My shortened CF muffler canister is reeeealy light though, so likely makes up for it a bit. I prefer my 2-1 header shape and style, so I'll look other places to get the porkyness down. I's a shame the frame is so dang heavy. Strong for sure, but prolly 20 lbs or more extra steel weight than necessary. Not much can be done to lighten the frame safely IMHO. The XR swingarm is relatively light, but extremely strong... again, better left alone.

I have thought about putting a single-sided swingarm (SSS) on the XR off the BMW 800 twin. It's belt drive too, and the drive sprocket is on the right side like the XR. Looks like a swap begging to be made! Doubt very much it would be any lighter than our current setup, but it would look pretty cool! The problem would be finding a place for the mono-shock! Our bikes have the old-school twin shocks and that just won't work with a mono-shock SSS.

I put the VFR800 SSS swingarm on my conventional swingarm VTR1000 and it lengthened the wheelbase by 1.50", making it launch harder, handle better, and was able to keep the front wheel on the ground a little easier. (that means I could stay in the gas, and not back off to control the wheely) Oh, and it looked very cool too!

BLIGHT

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
I have thought about putting a single-sided swingarm (SSS) on the XR off the BMW 800 twin. It's belt drive too, and the drive sprocket is on the right side like the XR. Looks like a swap begging to be made! Doubt very much it would be any lighter than our current setup, but it would look pretty cool! The problem would be finding a place for the mono-shock! Our bikes have the old-school twin shocks and that just won't work with a mono-shock SSS.
Just use a shock on one side with no linkage, ala ATK.

·
Registered
546 Posts
XR-SSS Concept Pic

Just use a shock on one side with no linkage, ala ATK.
Not sure how the shock would work that way, but if you could move the battery, a mono-shock might go in right next to the oil tank and could be attached to the beefy frame member at the rear of the fuel tank. Here's a quick 'n dirty pic basically what it would look like with the Beemer 800 SSS:

Actually, the SSS would move back about 2" from where I have it in the pic. I just laid my bike's pic over a beemer pic (shorter wheelbase) and erased the beemer.

BLIGHT

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
Not sure how the shock would work that way, but if you could move the battery, a mono-shock might go in right next to the oil tank and could be attached to the beefy frame member at the rear of the fuel tank. Here's a quick 'n dirty pic basically what it would look like with the Beemer 800 SSS:

Actually, the SSS would move back about 2" from where I have it in the pic. I just laid my bike's pic over a beemer pic (shorter wheelbase) and erased the beemer.

BLIGHT
On the other side you just bolt a shock with 2X spring rate from the original mount point on the frame down to the side of the swingarm.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts