XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the skinny(from Fat Billy). I have ordered the fork and shock kit from Harley. I had my Harley parts dude look in the parts listing for the new forks. The new forks have dampers in both fork legs with compression and rebound and preload. The rear shock have the adjustments listed on the website. The parts guy also found the XR1200X front brake rotors as well so they are on the way. Yes the forks are available by themselves at $588.00 each but they are on back order. I already have Bi-Turbo top of the line shocks but I'll try the Showas and sell the ones I don't need. Putting a kit in forks is over $1000.00 dollars so I'll try the Harley parts and see. Watch this site for used parts from by bike. Will give full report after installing above listed items. Magoo is pissed by my splurge 'cause he's so cheap. I know you all want to know the cost of the rotors so to scratch that itch they're $202.00 each. It's only money! :clap: Later,

P.S. Na Na Na Na- NaNa, sorry just had to.

·
Its good to have friends
2,308 Posts
Here's the skinny(from Fat Billy). I have ordered the fork and shock kit from Harley. I had my Harley parts dude look in the parts listing for the new forks. The new forks have dampers in both fork legs with compression and rebound and preload. The rear shock have the adjustments listed on the website. The parts guy also found the XR1200X front brake rotors as well so they are on the way. Yes the forks are available by themselves at $588.00 each but they are on back order. I already have Bi-Turbo top of the line shocks but I'll try the Showas and sell the ones I don't need. Putting a kit in forks is over $1000.00 dollars so I'll try the Harley parts and see. Watch this site for used parts from by bike. Will give full report after installing above listed items. Magoo is pissed by my splurge 'cause he's so cheap. I know you all want to know the cost of the rotors so to scratch that itch they're $202.00 each. It's only money! :clap: Later,

P.S. Na Na Na Na- NaNa, sorry just had to.
Billy, do the front forks come as a complete unit or it just the legs and internals?

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They come as bolt on complete units. Film @ 11:00.
:clap: Later,

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The should be here by middle of the week. Please calm down Lori_K, if I have to wait so do you. Don't like waiting either. :pinch: Later,

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
speed59, The part numbers for the rotors is 41822-10. They're not on the Harley site, my parts guy came up with it somewhere. :whistling: Later,

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my suspension kit today. Forks are better than expected (basic) inspection. Spring preload is on the out side of each fork slider so it can be adyisted w-o removal of front wheel. This will make it adjustable while on the road! Both the forks had compression and rebound settings on each fork top so they are easily adjusted. There aren't that many clicks, 5 compression 3 rebound but any adjustment is welcome. The showa shocks look good as well with compression amd rebound. The spring preload is only adjustable via turning the coller to differant levels not by adjustable preload via a threaded nut. This will limit the shocks adjustment a bit but I'll give em a try and compair them with my Bi-Turbos. Brake rotors are to arrive tomorrow so I'm about ready to do the upgrade. Hoping for good weather on Sunday to try em out so stay tuned for a report. :clap: Later,

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll do pics when I get it done. The forks will look the same but the shocks are differant. :D Later,

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ya know, it makes me wonder, the forks look externally the same. Could it be that the internals and the adjusters could be added to the original style forks?
Might be interesting to take a look at the parts books on those forks when they're available and see if the fork tube part numbers and slider numbers are the same.

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The sliders are differant due to the pre-load spring adjusters. The fork tubes are differant in the diameter between the triple clamps. The BPF (big piston forks) as Harley calls them are bolt up the same and I was able to move the forks above the top triple clamp as the stockers. Rotors will be here tomorrow so I'll finish the front end assembly. Don't know if the parts will interchange or not. Just for info the left fork leg on the stockers is the one with the compression and rebound and the right leg is just spring. The new forks have both on both sides with adjusters. My parts guy told me the kits are on backorder so I guess they made a few to see how they do. The forks are available seperate for $588.00 each but are also on back order. Will keep everyone posted as project progresses. :scooter: Later,

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Getting close. I got everything bolted up and it fit like a glove. The Shocks are lighter than the Bi-turbos. Sorry my triple beams were lost in a raid. The floating rotors are lighter but not as much as expected. I'd say they're 2/3rd of the stock rotor weight. Any unsprung weight loss is a big gain. If I get my pipe back by the week end look for a report by Sunday evening. CAN'T WAIT! :clap: Later,

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.