XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changing my stock rearsets to Sato (Thank you @JimJr1945 ), and one of the the stock button-type allen heads were already rounded out inside. See #10 on image below. I'll be using the old center punch method, to work it loose first, then if that doesn't work, drill it out. No way am I going to replace those bolts with stock allen-head again. What are some of you using for replacements? All other bolts in this picture came out just fine.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was one of my options. What about 6 or 12 point head?

Reactions: Chipmaker

·
used ta could
1,913 Posts
The Sato rear sets come with flat head allens for that connection. I keep grease on mine cause they go into a cast part.

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,320 Posts
Is this with your stock master cylinder bolts, Sato does not reuse the bolts.
If so I had the same problem, and so did someone else.
I put up thread on the fix.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
These OEM Allen Bolts are special.In Case of a Fall they dont break,just deforming.It looks like the Bracket is gone but only the Bolts deformed.Cheap Repair.My Insurance paid the full Set of Brakets...)))).The Bolts costs around 3,-$

Sorry,im not talking about these Bolts.

·
1,320 Posts
Couldn't find the thread.
I took a large drill bit and drilled the heads off.
Just take enough off to pull the bracket off.
Then I got a friend to get a strangle hold on the master cylinder and clamped vise grips on the bolt. then worked the bolts loose.
When I put the Sato's on, I blue locktighted everything.
I hate it when expensive parts fall off LOL
Hope this helps

·
Registered
72 Posts
I remember having to replace a bolt on my Sato set up. Found some button head hex in SS. I think OSH might have some if there is one near you.
Alex

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Reading this and if have a low mileage XR? The bolts that have been in place for 12 years, and would normally have been removed for any type of service, but haven't, stuff like this might happen. I know the footrests and linkage might not need removing regularily, but stripped bolt heads can happen. I recommmend blue thread lock when reinstalling any bolts as vibration can and will be an issue. If it is steel to ateel,then red thread lock.

Got the bolt removed, but the lower pulley cover bolt is also messed up. Need to remove that to get the lower foot rest bole installed. Yikes!!! Now with the Bassani I have, I need to remove the exhaust to really get to it. Hope for no broken head studs, but exhaust gaskets will be replaced.

Reactions: raven

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
1,320 Posts
Cory, I don't think you need to remove the pully cover to mount the Sato's
I an sure I didn't.
I just looked at mine and I think a long allan socket will fit.
Hope you get this before tearing everything apart to get at it.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cory, I don't think you need to remove the pully cover to mount the Sato's
I an sure I didn't.
I just looked at mine and I think a long allan socket will fit.
Hope you get this before tearing everything apart to get at it.
Thanks for the advice, but with that one stripped head bolt, I am planning on removing it anyhow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts