XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Remus. It's great, but I was wearing some Adidas workout pants when riding to the store the other day, and they brushed the rear head pipe right at the weld and left a strip of melted polyester I guess. Instantly turn black and looks like poop. I want to get it off, but a little nervous about what technique. The Remus has a spun (vertical/longitudinal) look to the stainless pipes that I don't want to mess up.

Any suggestions? I wiped off the bulk of burnt plastic while still soft, but now there is a black haze.

Thanks in advance!

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Only a suggestion

I use a stainless steel Bar B Que cleaner on my grill that seems to work well, I have spot cleaned and the areas match when grill gets hot, the thermometer shows about 600f when I set on high to clean. It's called Bar Keepers Friend, the website is www. barkeepersfriend.com, and it is available all over, I get it at Wal-Mart. Try in an inconspicuous place first, and brush with the lines. Good luck, and maybe wear some riding gear that won't melt, had to say it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
had the same problem when I melted my riding gloves on the Y-pipe. I wanted to activate the brake to check the rearlight LOL...

I took a fine (!) wire brush intended for an electric drill. Then brush along with the lines. All the black stuff dissapeared.
If your exhaust has already turned a bit into golden color, expect the cleaned area to get a bit brighter (more silver) than the rest. But that is going to vanish more and more with time.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Good luck, and maybe wear some riding gear that won't melt, had to say it.
LOL...:D...Tony, Dude, don't kick a man when he's down....but I'm glad you said it 'cause I'da had to....

had the same problem when I melted my riding gloves on the Y-pipe. I wanted to activate the brake to check the rearlight LOL...
Benny, somehow I have no problem imagining you doing this...:D

I've done much worse.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Benny, somehow I have no problem imagining you doing this...:D

I've done much worse.
the other day I melted a pice of glove to the rear header when I was about to check the cable from the O2 sensor LOL...

some things I really never learn :rolleyes:

·
The older I get, the faster I was!
63 Posts
I installed the Remus. It's great, but I was wearing some Adidas workout pants when riding to the store the other day, and they brushed the rear head pipe right at the weld and left a strip of melted polyester !
I bent over to to do something under my ST one day and bumped my forehead on the pipe. Burnt skin brushed right off. Still carry the scar.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I bent over to to do something under my ST one day and bumped my forehead on the pipe. Burnt skin brushed right off. Still carry the scar.
LOL! Best post by far! Thanks guys, and I'll take the ribbing for the good advice.

·
The older I am the better I was
19 Posts
I've had a similar problem on one of my previous bikes, fix:

Get bike up to normal run temp, switch off, hose your exhaust with cold water and then use a NEW razor blade to scrape most of the crap off and then use a good metal polish to ease the residue off. It worked for me and was a crisp (potato chip) bag.

Hope that helps
AG

·
The Fonz was here!
586 Posts
Get it hot ,and use a damp terrycloth 100% cotton towel. the cotton may scorch but it won't leave anything on the pipe.

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
Just my two cents worth dont use house hold products on your bike. They damm near F'ed up my powder coat on the cam cover forever took days to figure out how to get the streaks off. But I did. Use common scene thats all

·
Life starts at 40
426 Posts
Just my two cents worth dont use house hold products on your bike. They damm near F'ed up my powder coat on the cam cover forever took days to figure out how to get the streaks off. But I did. Use common scene thats all
I'm wondering how you did that ?
I'm trying to patch up the powder coating on the scooter of my wife without sending it to be powdercoated completely :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
exhaust spot cleaning

I have used Mother's Mag polish/paste-applied gently on cold exhaust.
My wife's auto expenses were squeezing my XR modification budget so I sold her SUV and bought her a Smart Car! (just kidding Joe!!) Mort

·
www.jp2code.net
20,691 Posts
I have used Mother's Mag polish/paste-applied gently on cold exhaust.
My wife's auto expenses were squeezing my XR modification budget so I sold her SUV and bought her a Smart Car! (just kidding Joe!!) Mort
Yeah, you should have seen the look on my wife's face when I pulled up a *used* Scion for her while I got to go place my order for a new Harley. :devil:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts