·
Premium Member
353 Posts

·
Don't touch me there!
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
A few more pics

Wednesday night purplehaze, xrwoody, Purplehaze's buddy Jay, and I took a quick run on the Blue Ridge and it was as nice as I remembered it, if a bit chilly. From left to right xrwoody, Jay, purplehaze

Yesterday we rode through the park (Great Smoky Mountains National Park) and enjoyed the absolutely perfect weather. From left to right: purplehaze, horosho, xrwoody, seamus, and chipmaker. Not pictured: Jay, to whom the Aprilia belongs:

Then we hit the Dragon and Deal's Gap. We had a real nice run. Such great roads.... Left to right: purplehaze, seamus, chipmaker, and xrwoody.

As usual I have no idea where we're riding today or tomorrow but if you're anywhere nearby I hope that you'll come out and join us!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
As I look at these pics I'm hearing again in my mind the song of a squad of XR's storming through the hills and valleys...sure sounds sweet! Stay upright & wave the flag guys. Maybe next year...

J.
That sound would be music to my ears.

Reactions: Chipmaker

·
Don't touch me there!
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
As I look at these pics I'm hearing again in my mind the song of a squad of XR's storming through the hills and valleys...sure sounds sweet! Stay upright & wave the flag guys. Maybe next year...

J.
Absolutely Shackman, I hope you decide to make it next year too!

·
Let's Ride
229 Posts
This was such an awesome ride. Had the best time of my life and can't wait to meet up with this GREAT group of riders again.

·
Don't touch me there!
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Purplehaze push starting Horosho's bike. Literally. 😄
Seamus took over later. More pictures to come. Safe travels home. Great ride!
As the official 'that guy' from this year's ride let me extend a heartfelt thank you to all who pushed the bike, and helped with various repairs along the way, this is a fantastic group and shows it every year.
Also, thanks to purplehaze for leading us on some fantastic rides, leading is tough and he did a consistently great job with a task akin to herding cats, thank you Scott!

·
Don't touch me there!
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Some pics from Friday:

Nosupes4u and chipmaker. Randy (nosupes) is a hooligan supermoto rider with great local knowledge and speed, always a pleasure to ride and hang out with. He still hangs out with us even if his XR is now gone. Wayne (chipmaker) was a great addition to this year's ride. He has a super clean XR and even cleaner riding style and although he claims he didn't ever fix anything it did seem that whenever a repair was made, he was repair adjacent, thanks Wayne!

The sign at the Inn bemoaning Jarhead's absence. This is a really great place to stay and I'm already looking forward to getting back.

The gang rocking at Trust. Left to right, chipmaker, Jay, XRWoody, and old dog. We met two riders here at a small country store in the middle of nowhere who claimed to also have XRs. That has to be some kind of record!

Riverside pizza dining in Marshall. Nosupes4u, **ACY300, and chipmaker. This ended up being a really nice spot even if the train was a bit loud.

The Blue Ridge Parkway. From left: seamus, Jay (walking away), chipmaker, nosupes4u, and purplehaze. For those that haven't ridden this and the surrounding roads, do it, it's really great. Also, if you can, do it with us on your XR if possible!

Same spot, another shot. XRWoody, horosho, seamus, chipmaker, purplehaze, Jay, nosupes4u, and **ACY300

XRWoody, another newcomer to the ride. Woody is another fast guy with good local knowledge and a great sense of humor that I'm looking forward to riding with again soon!

More soon....

·
Registered
22 Posts
We were enjoying the ride so much not many of us were able to snap pictures. Here are some candid photos. Let me know if you want me to delete a picture please.

Chipmaker and Jay

XRWoody and purplehaze figuring out the machine. It had a sign to bypass debit pin because inputting a pin would fail the transaction... or at least I think that's what they were figuring out because another rider and I couldn't figure it out.

Horosho filling up seamus's tank. Lots of fueling each other bikes. It's these small, kind gestures that make this group amazing. Thank you Scott and Bruce for the fuel again.

Filling up at the Shiners Run General Store gas station. Premium gas was plentiful with many riders coming through.

Another angle and moment. All getting ready to go further south on 215 after checking out the view. nosupes4u showing around the local to us roads.
(I might be able to get a video up of everyone taking off. Same bike but with slightly different sounds.)

Horosho gathering the group to move onto the next gas station that has gas [and maybe shade] while we're lollygagging around an empty gas station. It's good because we were sort of pressed for daylight later that day.

Purplehaze, seamus, nosupes4u, horosho planning the next route while we enjoy the stream and fishers next to us.

Jay and Chipmaker walking to the HD store to check it out.

Chipmaker, Jay, Horosho, purplehaze, nosupes4r, XRWoody enjoying pizza, sandwiches and cookie after a fun ride on Cherohala Skyway. We got plenty of Vitamin D that day. I know I'm not deficient anymore.

As much as I enjoy everyone's company and ride skills, I actually come for Bogart's steak special. ;) Oak Park Inn kindly called the restaurant to reserve our usual upstairs table. This time, we had the whole floor to ourselves! Very special.

XRWoody mentioned about "surf and turf" after we all heard Chipmaker order shrimp. This lead to Jay, XRWoody and me to order our special with shrimp add-on. MMmm Mmmm Mmmm. Delicious! Good people, good food, good ride.

Friday night, the Italian place - Bocelli's Italian Eatery - had delicious cheese bread appetizer and chicken alfredo. I'm noting this here so we can visit again unless we want to explore other places. We grabbed ice cream afterwards. We're all big kids with nice toys wanting good food and ice cream to end the day.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,880 Posts
Speechless. I am so envious I am without speech. Great pics which say it all, anyhow. What I would give to have come on my XR, but unfortunately the tyranny of distance defeats me. You guys are so blessed...

J.

·
HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?
3,580 Posts
H

J.
Hey John, make your mind up, you doing SoCal or East Coast next year, or are we gonna go big and try to do Both??

·
Don't touch me there!
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
From Saturday, a good full day of riding:

At the Harley shop at the bottom of 24, XRWoody, Seamus, chipmaker, and Jay. What a road! We had a good clean run on the NC side even if baggers and Gold Wings conspired to keep us from spirited riding on the TN side. As usual this trip the weather was amazing!

The bikes parked at Tellico Grains, an impressive array of states represented here.

We had to do the Cherohala Skyway as a couple of us had never ridden it. Of course when riding the Skyway you must take a picture at the Motorcycle Advisory sign. The Cherohala Skyway is perfect for the XR with fast flowing sweepers and, once again, we got really lucky with weather and traffic and had a clear run. From left: XRWoody, seamus, **ACY300, nosupes4u, horosho, purplehaze, chipmaker, and Jay.

As is our custom, ladies, and gentlemen, we offer our salute to you, here joined by Mrs. Chipmaker at our final dinner at Bogarts.

What a group, what a ride. We had perfect weather the entire time, which is unheard of, no incidents, no tickets, and just a fantastic time. I am really grateful to all of you who make this ride a highlight of my year every year and to those who created this forum and forged this path. Purplehaze made a nice toast at dinner to Springer who was a really great guy who rode with us years ago and passed away a while back, this one is for you Harvey, we miss you and wish you Godspeed!
For anybody who is considering joining us next year mark you calendars now, it will be the same weekend (the weekend before US memorial day weekend, May 19th-22nd 2022) at the same place (the Oak Park Inn in Waynesville NC). We can't promise the same beautiful weather (we've ridden in rain and even snow in previous years) but we can promise a great time, great roads, and great folks. I'm already looking forward to it!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sure looks like a grand time , sorry to have missed it . 2019 was fun .

Ethan and I had already committed to an FJR get together in N.C., early next month .

We'll be staying at the Oak Park Inn , so we'll be thinking of you guys !

George

·
Let's Ride
229 Posts
Wow, thanks to **acy300 and Horosho for the great pics and write up. I was so wrapped up in the fantastic riding, that I didn't get many pice either. GREAT TIME WITH GREAT PEOPLE!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts