XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Don't touch me there!
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it seems as if things are slowly if not quite surely returning to normal we're going to get together and ride some of the best roads in the US the weekend before Memorial Day. We've done it before I time or two, here are some links to earlier rides:

2012: 2012 XROG East Coast Meet up
2013: Jeffery's Redemption Tour or Find Waldo (Bob) in...
2014: Magoo: Return to the Dragon
2015: Smoky Mountain Retreat May 2015
2016: Lucky 7 Smoky Mountain Gathering
2017: 2017 Smoky Mountain Great 8 Weekend...
2018: Smoky Mountains Magoo's 10th Anniversary (ok, he...
2019: Carolina's, Tennessee and Georgia Riding May 16-20
2020: Cancelled due to Covid but there is still a thread! East Coast XR1200 Ride .... Sometime After May 10, 2020...

I haven't been to all of them but I've been to a bunch and they've all been a blast. Every year (except last year due to quarantine) we meet up and ride. The roads are great, the people are better. I cannot recommend this event more highly, and look forward to it every year. Here are the deets:

Where is it?
We stay in Waynesville NC at the Oak Park Inn and ride out from there. We hit legendary roads like the Tail of the Dragon, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Cherohala Skyway and many other lesser known but often better(!) roads in North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee with occasional stops at places like the Wheels Through Time Museum in nearby Maggie Valley. It is an absolutely beautiful part of the country with great riding.

When is it?
The weekend before Memorial Day. Some folks come early, some stay late but the most of us will be there from Thursday to Sunday, May 20th-23rd. There is no set time you need to be there, come for the whole time or ride with us for a day, you'll still have fun!

Who should attend?
Everybody that reads this post! If you're into this forum, you're welcome, no exceptions. We've had all levels of riders and folks that have ridden with us long after they've sold their XRs

So let's hear it, who is in?

·
Let's Ride
183 Posts
Been waiting to go on one of these rides. Can you fill me/us in with more details (for the ones that have never been on a ride like this)? Do we arrive on Thursday the 20th and start riding the 21st? Is Sunday a full ride day or see ya next time day? Etc. And Thanks Horosho, for getting it started.

·
Don't touch me there!
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chipmaker, I'm looking forward to riding with you! The thanks are actually due to Magoo, Jarhead, CobraT, Purplehaze, Springer, Phaedrus, and the others that blazed the trail and made (and continue to make!) this such a welcoming event.
As far as details go it's pretty loosey goosey, come and go as you wish. We'll kinda sorta coordinate as the event gets closer and then get everybody's cell # to coordinate on site. I think I'm going to show up on Wednesday this year and head home on Sunday but my guess is that some folks will stay a little later. We usually plan Thursday morning's ride close to Waynesville so that we can grab lunch in town and gather up anybody that shows up Thursday morning for an afternoon Blue Ridge Parkway run or something shorter. Usually we take longer rides like heading to Little Switzerland on Friday or Saturday and Sunday varies, sometimes it's a grab breakfast and head out day, sometimes, folks will ride all day and then head out and the last time we rode I think we did the Tail of the Dragon, which is towards home for me, and I headed home from there while others rode on. And the weather plays into things too, if it's raining hard we'll probably will shoot for scenic over spirited. Luckily, between Purplehaze, Nosupes4u, Jarhead, and others that may be there we'll have some guides that really know the territory and lead at a spirited but safe pace. Most of all we play it by ear and stay flexible. While we may not know exactly what we're doing ahead of time, I have yet to go on a less than stellar ride on these trips.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I knew it...just can't keep you guys down...man, I wish I could sign on, but I'm sitting here in Florida, trying to figure out how to get back to Canada. Right now the plan is to fly to Detroit and get a limo service to drive me across. If I fly to Toronto, I have to quarantine at my expense in a Gov't approved hotel. The land border is closed except for returning Canadians, and once I'm in I won't be able to get back across the border with a bike on a trailer. Oh well, some of these years..............
Bruce, take a bow for getting the show on the road.....😀

·
Super Moderator
8,227 Posts
Horosho, thanks for getting this off the ground, I’m pretty sure, no I’m sure I won’t be able to make this one, just getting over an injury, and my bike has not run since December and then it was running like a dog.
but I just want to tell everyone, that the time I went with these guys was the most fun I ever had with my XR, if your even thinking of joining this fantastic ride, just do it!
more important than the great roads you’ll get to ride...the people you will meet will be an even better experience, these guys are great, you’ll make some memories you’ll always remember.
regards
Roy

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Bruce, this is Magoo .... had to login as username: admin ‘cause I can’t remember my password for username: Magoo 😂😂😂

Anywhooo, some stars are lining up that may put me in the Waynesville area around these dates so I may be in. Not sure my XR is up to it (deep knocking in the lower end 😩) but maybe the KTM or Aprilia.

I’d love to see everyone.

·
Don't touch me there!
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan, I'm looking forward to riding with you again and at least one instance of you taking off & riding at least 100 miles more than I do & still getting back to the Inn before I do! 😂
Harry, we know you'll find a way, we'll put you down as a maybe! :)
Roy, that sounds like a maybe too, hope the recovery goes well and we'll see you soon
Magoo, I'm super excited that you'll be joining us, it will be great to ride with you again and catch up. Also, I did not know you even had an aprillia. Here's hoping it's a Moto 6.5!

Just as a note to anybody joining us, several folks will be on other than XR motorcycles, it's fine.

So here's the list so far:

Yes:
Purplehaze
Jarhead
Nosupes4u
**acy
Seamus
Chipmaker
Horosho
Magoo

Maybe:
JoeP
Phaedrus
Poolpawpaw

Out:
Sadwingsrgn 😢
CT XR Rider
flattrkr

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,222 Posts
I knew it...just can't keep you guys down...man, I wish I could sign on, but I'm sitting here in Florida, trying to figure out how to get back to Canada. Right now the plan is to fly to Detroit and get a limo service to drive me across. If I fly to Toronto, I have to quarantine at my expense in a Gov't approved hotel. The land border is closed except for returning Canadians, and once I'm in I won't be able to get back across the border with a bike on a trailer. Oh well, some of these years..............
Bruce, take a bow for getting the show on the road.....😀
Harry hope you can get across without problems.
With everything shut down I don't think I will make any races in the US this year and the outlook is not good for racing here.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Bruce, this is Magoo .... had to login as username: admin ‘cause I can’t remember my password for username: Magoo 😂😂😂
Tom, the fact that you may be there makes it even more frustrating that I'm out....I had concluded that you were either in jail, or shot by a jealous husband....then I remembered that your grandson would keep you out of trouble.....:)

Racy and I should be a go and will be on the 701 with an xr1200 sticker :LOL:.

Randy, after your encouraging words about Street Triples, I got one, and have been riding the hell out of it ever since.

Harry hope you can get across without problems.
With everything shut down I don't think I will make any races in the US this year and the outlook is not good for racing here.
Bruce, it's a sad prospect, and I agree the outlook is not promising. I'm supposed to go straight home to quarantine after crossing at Windsor, but I plan to stop in London and Guelph to visit my kids and grandkids. I'm fully vaccinated (2 doses Pfizer), and I have a negative RT-PCR test, so I'm prepared to take that chance. I'm keeping the government on a need to know basis, so I won't suggest a meet for coffee in case the quarantine police are onto me. Wouldn't want you to have to join me in the Canadian gov't's equivalent of Gitmo.......................:cool:

·
Registered
797 Posts
I just saw this. I'm in for the ride but on the BMW(unless we have a club funeral). I haven't been on a long enough trip on the XR to see how my shoulder will do. I had some bad left shoulder issues up there in 2019. We have to leave the following Thursday for West Texas and i sure don't want to mess any body parts up before that trip. I was up there for a week last summer and had no issues on the Beemer. Hey, i'll just put an XR sticker on it. I'll go ahead and book a room.

·
Don't touch me there!
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updated with old dog on the list, sounds like we'll have a good variety of bikes this year

Yes:
Purplehaze
Jarhead
Nosupes4u
**acy
Seamus
Chipmaker
Horosho
Magoo
old dog

Maybe:
JoeP
Phaedrus
Poolpawpaw

Out:
Sadwingsrgn
CT XR Rider
flattrkr

·
Registered
797 Posts
At least North Carolina shouldn't be concerned with Covid this year. I was up there almost a year ago and they were just going plain crazy with virus restrictions. I've already had it plus i was vaccinated so no more Covid worries for me. I was sick for 2 days, then completely well and i was thinking, "This is it??" Yeah i know lots of people died and i'm not making light of this but i was expecting something at least like a bad case of the flu. Wife may come but i'm not sure how her little Honda 750 Shadow Spirit with the skinny front wheel would do in the mountains. If not she could follow in car and ride with me on the BMW. Her legs can't stand a long trip in the cramped passenger position and i'll be damned if take the Road Glide up there to the XR1200 ride.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Is there any particular side of the motel where the XR group is staying?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Looks like this is getting political... LOL!!!
You al have fun, and I hope to read about this with pictures too.

·
Don't touch me there!
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Usually you can tell them you want to be with the XR folks (if they ask for names you can use Hazen or Demske) and they'll know but oftentimes we have some on the upper level by the office and some on the lower level

·
Registered
110 Posts
As it seems as if things are slowly if not quite surely returning to normal we're going to get together and ride some of the best roads in the US the weekend before Memorial Day. We've done it before I time or two, here are some links to earlier rides:

2012: 2012 XROG East Coast Meet up
2013: Jeffery's Redemption Tour or Find Waldo (Bob) in...
2014: Magoo: Return to the Dragon
2015: Smoky Mountain Retreat May 2015
2016: Lucky 7 Smoky Mountain Gathering
2017: 2017 Smoky Mountain Great 8 Weekend...
2018: Smoky Mountains Magoo's 10th Anniversary (ok, he...
2019: Carolina's, Tennessee and Georgia Riding May 16-20
2020: Cancelled due to Covid but there is still a thread! East Coast XR1200 Ride .... Sometime After May 10, 2020...

I haven't been to all of them but I've been to a bunch and they've all been a blast. Every year (except last year due to quarantine) we meet up and ride. The roads are great, the people are better. I cannot recommend this event more highly, and look forward to it every year. Here are the deets:

Where is it?
We stay in Waynesville NC at the Oak Park Inn and ride out from there. We hit legendary roads like the Tail of the Dragon, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Cherohala Skyway and many other lesser known but often better(!) roads in North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee with occasional stops at places like the Wheels Through Time Museum in nearby Maggie Valley. It is an absolutely beautiful part of the country with great riding.

When is it?
The weekend before Memorial Day. Some folks come early, some stay late but the most of us will be there from Thursday to Sunday, May 20th-23rd. There is no set time you need to be there, come for the whole time or ride with us for a day, you'll still have fun!

Who should attend?
Everybody that reads this post! If you're into this forum, you're welcome, no exceptions. We've had all levels of riders and folks that have ridden with us long after they've sold their XRs

So let's hear it, who is in?

View attachment 247805
I might be able to make this ride

·
Don't touch me there!
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The latest roster

Yes:
Purplehaze
Jarhead
Nosupes4u