XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
certified tool
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we had a little extra time at work today, figgered we'd throw the ole xr on the dyno for few 100% runs. It's bone stock, environmental conditions listed at teh bottom.

Thought I'd post the results for your viewing pleasure.
Yay!

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
I'll try to get mine posted for you soon Scotty. Do I have the world's most powerful stock XR1200? Mine has almost 82 hp at the rear wheel. I think 81.91 give or take.

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
I'll try to get mine posted for you soon Scotty. Do I have the world's most powerful stock XR1200? Mine has almost 82 hp at the rear wheel. I think 81.91 give or take.
Nope, Fat Billy's was 82.16, sorry dude! But maybe you had more TORQUE :D
Do remember, different dynos and all that, but i can only go from what i see posted.

G

·
Do remember, different dynos and all that, but i can only go from what i see posted.
Heck, even I had 82.85 SAE HP and 68.83 Ft-lbs. If you want to go uncorrected, I can claim 86.94 HP and over 72 Ft-lbs! :D

Ok, so where are one of you guys with the fancy pipes to put me in my place... ;)

·
7,305 Posts
Heck, even I had 82.85 SAE HP and 68.83 Ft-lbs. If you want to go uncorrected, I can claim 86.94 HP and over 72 Ft-lbs! :D

Ok, so where are one of you guys with the fancy pipes to put me in my place... ;)
Phaedrus, he said stock you had the Pipercross filter, stock drilled pipes and Thundermax..
Thats why i listed Fatso as being the best stock run ;)

·
7,305 Posts
~

Just curious...

What kind of dyno were each different poster's readings taken on?

Thanks!

Dallara

~
Didnt really want to get to involved with that, if we did we would have to go the full hog with humidity and ambient temps and so on, it would just make it very complicated to keep track of that much info.
Looking at the results we have already it seems as though things are pretty uniform, especially as each motor is gonna be slightly different anyhow.
I'm just gonna let that one ride, as far as the different dynos are concerned.

I'll put something together in a couple more months when we have a few more with different mods and exhausts. Then it can be added too as more results come in.

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Didnt really want to get to involved with that, if we did we would have to go the full hog with humidity and ambient temps and so on, it would just make it very complicated to keep track of that much info.
Looking at the results we have already it seems as though things are pretty uniform, especially as each motor is gonna be slightly different anyhow.
I'm just gonna let that one ride, as far as the different dynos are concerned.

I'll put something together in a couple more months when we have a few more with different mods and exhausts. Then it can be added too as more results come in.
I can understand that because it can get rather involved. Superflow (which is the unit I use) actually has a readout that corrects to Dynojet numbers since Dynojets are usually much more shall we say "Optimistic".

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Dynos...

~

Not trying to be argumentative here, but I'm afraid there are rather significant differences in dyno results depending on the type of rig used. For instance, there can be up to well more than a 15% difference between an accelerometer/flywheel-type dyno (like a DynoJet) and a water-brake/load type (like a Mustang).

Relatively accurate correction factors can be used for things like temp, barometric pressure, humidity, etc., but you can't change the simple fact a DynoJet will show much bigger power numbers than a Mustang (or SuperFlow without the correction factor) will. That said, the consensus in most of the industry is that water-brake/load style dynos are more accurate, along with eddy-current styles, with accelerometers being the least accurate...

However anyone wants to set up the "table" for collating dyno results, etc. is certainly their own choice. I was just hoping we could get those contributing dyno numbers to include the brand and type of dyno in their posts.

And just to ask the question... How much more difficult could it be to add one more field in the table that shows type or brand of dyno?

Just asking...

Dallara

~

·
7,305 Posts
~

And just to ask the question... How much more difficult could it be to add one more field in the table that shows type or brand of dyno?

Just asking...

Dallara

~
Like i said, if that were the case then it would only be a matter of time before folks wanted ambient temps and humidity and who knows what else to be taken into consideration, i just dont want things to get that anal. After all it aint a competition.

The way i am looking at it is when people do other mods to their bikes and dyno them again we can see what difference the mod makes, people will use the same dyno as they used before, i dont want it to turn into a "my dick is bigger than your dick" contest, my idea is more of a mod performance reference.

If it were gonna be done the way you suggest their would still be discrepancies as one Dynojet dyno may be out of calibration compared to another one, only true way of doing it would be to use the same dyno for every bike and that aint a possibility.

I'm happy with it the way it is ;)

By the way, have you any intention of sticking yours on a dyno?
If so i look forward to reading your in-depth report.

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
Dammit. I bet he got me because his rear tire was worn more, effectively lowering the gearing. I forgot my slip again, so I don't know what my TORQUE numbers were. I do know that the TORQUE that I do have, combined with my huge HORSEPOWER numbers, makes this bike pretty damn fast from corner to corner. :clap:

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
~Just curious...What kind of dyno were each different poster's readings taken on? Thanks!Dallara~
Whatever they have at Bakersfield Harley-Davidson in Bakersfield, CA

I have a question now. I am building an exhaust system (flattrack look) and will do another dyno run when it is done. I did the first run in early March I think. Cool, nice weather. My next run will be in hot, dry, crappy Bakersfield late spring weather. How much can I expect this to change my readings? If the exhaust is close, I'll keep it. If not, I'll have to find something else.

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Some Dyno's will print out various reports IE: our Superflow can print Uncorrected, Corrected, Corrected to SAE, "DynoJet" equivalent etc. These numbers can easily vary by 20% ! On top of that you have whether or not the correct inputs were done (Tire Size, weight, etc) How the bike was tied down, Tire pressures, was the drum centered on the tire, what gear was the run done in, what rpm was the run started in etc. etc. Tons of variables that the operator can manipulate :whistling:

G

·
Some Dyno's will print out various reports IE: our Superflow can print Uncorrected, Corrected, Corrected to SAE, "DynoJet" equivalent etc. These numbers can easily vary by 20% ! On top of that you have whether or not the correct inputs were done (Tire Size, weight, etc) How the bike was tied down, Tire pressures, was the drum centered on the tire, what gear was the run done in, what rpm was the run started in etc. etc. Tons of variables that the operator can manipulate :whistling:
you could discuss endlessly about those parameters...only thing that really matters is the before/after comparison of a mod....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.