XR1200 Owners Group banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
used ta could
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the pics Skiddy! The Dymag site shows two different aluminum for the wheels. Forged for the rim and spokes and Extruded for the hub. I'm just curious about the connection. Is it threaded, pinned, welded???

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks for the pics Skiddy! The Dymag site shows two different aluminum for the wheels. Forged for the rim and spokes and Extruded for the hub. I'm just curious about the connection. Is it threaded, pinned, welded???
Mine are forged aluminium and as far as I know the latest UP7X are just the same one piece wheel but with the little holes in the ends of the spokes. I've not seen any with joints or connections. Mine also have the ceramic bearing upgrade.

You have got me wondering now but I need to move my bike tomorrow so I will have a proper close up look at the hubs.

Quote from Dymag website - By using our own modular aluminium hub design, Dymag are able to offer over 3000 individual fitments, from a 1985 Suzuki RG500 to a 2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R. Complete wheelsets are delivered fully assembled with valves, spacers, high quality bearings and your specified sprocket ready for you to fit your tyres and discs and get out riding. We also offer a ceramic bearing upgrade on certain applications.

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,627 Posts
YT, I think it is one piece. they use a different process for making different sections of the wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Your Precious!!! They will look great installed. What is the weight of each?

·
used ta could
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Fractionally heavier than my front cf BST 17", yt. But have BOTH wheels swapped out. I think with that lot on board your revamped XR is going to steer and roll over into corners like a 250.

J.
Maybe a Ford F250! Haha! We know they'll never be lightweights. I am surprised that they're only a pound heavier than th CF wheels. I weighed myself, then me holding the wheels but raced off to work without doing the math. When I got to work, After subtracting my ever increasing weight, I had to message Mrs.Ytman and have her weigh the rear again. I thought "that's too light" but sure enough....I'm hoping the lighter rear will help with rear brake feel. The rear brake really is kaka. I think because of how heavy the overall machine is

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,439 Posts
Maybe a Ford F250! Haha! We know they'll never be lightweights. I am surprised that they're only a pound heavier than th CF wheels. I weighed myself, then me holding the wheels but raced off to work without doing the math. When I got to work, After subtracting my ever increasing weight, I had to message Mrs.Ytman and have her weigh the rear again. I thought "that's too light" but sure enough....I'm hoping the lighter rear will help with rear brake feel. The rear brake really is kaka. I think because of how heavy the overall machine is
I take you'll capitalise on the weight loss by adding floating rotors instead of bolting the stock bacon slicers back on?...
Before I did it I couldn't understand what the advantage was with floating rotors. When I got them, I realised; the the swept perimeter of the rotor itself remains steel, but the hub of the rotor is aluminium, much lighter though adequate for strength. With 2 rotors there's probably a kg saved (~ 2.2 lb) right there off the front end before you even consider the weight saving of the Dymag wheel itself vs the stock wheel.
Odd that you find your rear brake is not much chop. I definitely get some value out of mine, & have replaced my pads all round twice in 54,000 km now, say 32,000 miles, currently SBS HH pads in all 3 calipers and no complaints from me. So individual variation perhaps. Or could it be those extra thick soles on your riding boots?

J.

·
used ta could
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Welllll…I should update this thread. I wanted to make sure things were going in the right direction first.(hey, I made a joke) The wheels arrived in 11 weeks. Not bad considering covid and the fact that I ordered them before “the holidays”. Like I said in the pics the tires mounted easily. I used the direction of the spokes to determine rotation without really looking closely at the rear hub. The spokes are like a “C” channel so naturally I mounted the tires with the flat side of the spoke rotating into the wind. It didn’t make sense to me to have a hollow spinning into the wind collecting debris and whatever the road throws up. I mounted the tires before the discs and pulley for ease of installation. Then I was getting my new bolts together for the rear disc and pulley, so I can have a full set of spare wheels, and I realized the tire was going the wrong way…..the spokes were going the wrong way too! I had to look at the picture of Skiddy’s rear wheel to make sure that’s not just how it is. The rear wheel was backwards. My heart sank. I emailed the distributor and they emailed Dymag and sure enough someone made a mistake. Everyone was totally apologetic about it and I was sent a shipping label to DHL the poor thing back to England. The box the wheel came in was probably the only shipping box I’ve ever thrown away. haha Fortunately I saved the cool “pool noodle” strips that protect the edge of the rim. I found a box that would work with just a little modification and away she went. Soooo we’re just waiting on another wheel to be done up and I’ll let you know how things turn out. Pictures probably won’t show up in order but here they are anyway. The front rim is all good.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Drinkware Automotive lighting Water

Leg Toy Human body Gesture Thumb

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting Alloy wheel

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,439 Posts
Welllll…I should update this thread. I wanted to make sure things were going in the right direction first.(hey, I made a joke) The wheels arrived in 11 weeks. Not bad considering covid and the fact that I ordered them before “the holidays”. Like I said in the pics the tires mounted easily. I used the direction of the spokes to determine rotation without really looking closely at the rear hub. The spokes are like a “C” channel so naturally I mounted the tires with the flat side of the spoke rotating into the wind. It didn’t make sense to me to have a hollow spinning into the wind collecting debris and whatever the road throws up. I mounted the tires before the discs and pulley for ease of installation. Then I was getting my new bolts together for the rear disc and pulley, so I can have a full set of spare wheels, and I realized the tire was going the wrong way…..the spokes were going the wrong way too! I had to look at the picture of Skiddy’s rear wheel to make sure that’s not just how it is. The rear wheel was backwards. My heart sank. I emailed the distributor and they emailed Dymag and sure enough someone made a mistake. Everyone was totally apologetic about it and I was sent a shipping label to DHL the poor thing back to England. The box the wheel came in was probably the only shipping box I’ve ever thrown away. haha Fortunately I saved the cool “pool noodle” strips that protect the edge of the rim. I found a box that would work with just a little modification and away she went. Soooo we’re just waiting on another wheel to be done up and I’ll let you know how things turn out. Pictures probably won’t show up in order but here they are anyway. The front rim is all good. View attachment 251426
View attachment 251427
View attachment 251425
View attachment 251424
View attachment 251428
Tough break yt. If it's any comfort the wheels look super svelte. Sorry it makes a long time off the road into an even longer time. When you do get back on two wheels, your powers of anticipation of other road users misbehaviour are going to be intensely sharpened, I guarantee you that. Also, regards to your missus, if she's OK with you rebuilding your bike and resuming riding then I reckon she's pretty special.

J.

·
used ta could
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks Shack. It doesn’t keep me off the road any longer than before. I’ve always had the stock rear wheel. I actually just got all the DMV stuff done yesterday. She has a new identity. I just have to call the insurance company to be legal.
——My missus is very special(and thank you for recognizing) She’s not real happy about it. She has always worried but now she knows the danger is real and I was very fortunate. Situational awareness is not always enough. Sometimes people just do the most irrational things behind the wheel of an auto and we as two wheelers get effed. Each time we have a close call or even see something that makes us go” that could have been bad if I was closer” we learn something that keeps us motorcycling longer. Ive been off the bike for almost a year and am ready to get biking again. My shoulder is ready….ish. I may stall a little longer. Maybe Monday!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts