XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the new guy allow me to introduce myself. Unfortunately I don't have any recent photos of myself but this pic goes directly to my screen name.

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Remind me not to piss you off!!:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I learned how to shoot when I was 12 (same year I learned how to ride). My dad had a great friend, former Gunny, taught me with a 1911, it's been my first choice ever since. That's a Les Baer lightweight btw.

Former competitive shooter, basic and ccw instructor. When I was at Camp Shelby for my older son's first deployment departure ceremony his LT came up to me and said he understood I was responsible for how well he shot.

He's still one of the best shooting medics I've ever seen.:D

Anybody come out to Denver, range trip is on me.
Steve

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
With ya Doc

I taught my sons to shoot rifle, shotgun revolver and semi auto when they were 10, I am an NRA instructor and have taught more than 1,000 Boy Scouts to shoot rifle and shotgun. A good healthy knowledge and respect for firearms is what saves lives. The first time I dated the girl who is now my wife, we went to a range and shot. I being the "big stud" showed her what to do. She meekly watched and then shot a 2" group with my .357. She said her "Daddy" taught her. I left the range suitably humbled. To this day I still refuse to piss her off. Oh, yeah, she did the same when the boys told her they would teach her to shoot. Leave it to a mom to keep us boys in line.

·
I piss excellence!
131 Posts
yeow....

Just laughed coffee on to my keyboards....thanks a lot...you bastards!....I'm trying hard to be in a bad mood and you guys arn't helping! [:(]

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Blah

Want a bad mood? Call Scotty!

·
We'll always have Paris
14 Posts
In France, personal guns are prohibited. Regarding hunting guns, you even need a hunting licence and every "weapon" need to be declared to police office...Remember my first trip in US. I visited a gun shop and was amazed that assault weapons could be sold...Different culture indeed!

However, in Switzerland, when you are at military service (2 weeks per year during 15 years), you keep your military weapon at home.

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Gun laws

We in the US have been allowed almost total freedom regarding the possession and use of firearms. We are now facing one of the most restrictive gun control laws we have ever seen, although not nearly as strict as in most European contries.

The new law would require all firearms to be registered, any sale would also have to be registered (now private sales go unrecorded). Gun owners would be required to have a physical and mental examination whenever the government wanted. Guns would have to be kept out of the hands of those under 18 (duh), the government would have the right to come and inspect your storage facility at any time (not liking that aspect).

I thought that the Swiss Army could do everything with just one knife

·
We'll always have Paris
14 Posts
They have knives but also fierce St Bernard dogs :D

Remember about an article in a newspaper...After a massive killing at a US university, they intervewied a student who quoted that this kind of thing could not happen if everybody could carry a gun at university...Found this really weird!

In France, weapon can not really protect you as you'll get into deep trouble if you use it even against a thief. A year ago, a grocery retailer was put into 5 years jail for shooting a guy who was threatening him and trying to get the cash. The judge quoted that there was a disproportion between the threat and the way he tried to defend him and his business:confused:

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Distorted perspective

They have knives but also fierce St Bernard dogs :D

Remember about an article in a newspaper...After a massive killing at a US university, they intervewied a student who quoted that this kind of thing could not happen if everybody could carry a gun at university...Found this really weird!

In France, weapon can not really protect you as you'll get into deep trouble if you use it even against a thief. A year ago, a grocery retailer was put into 5 years jail for shooting a guy who was threatening him and trying to get the cash. The judge quoted that there was a disproportion between the threat and the way he tried to defend him and his business:confused:
Many people here have the idea that owning or carrying a gun will protect you, and you will be justified in using it. The courts are constantly moving toward more and more responsible gun ownership and use laws. More deaths occur from untrained individuals using guns, and if the people who own guns are not more careful with storage, carrying and training then the problem will continue to grow. Most guns that are involved in shooting deaths are stolen guns, taken from individuals who should not have them in the first place. I have several guns, each member of my household knows how to fire, and clean all of the guns we have here. All of the weapons, firearms, hunting bows, etc are locked up, unless someone is using it. When done, it is immediatly cleaned and returned to the locked storage area (gun safe, in a locked room). The kids learned to shoot at 10 yrs old, and still do not have access to the keys. I have friends who keep a loaded gun, under the seat of their truck, than park the truck and leave it for long periods of time, unattended. They have a permit to carry concealed, and do carry often, without any real need.

I have been able to demonstrate to them just how easy it is to take their gun from them, yet they continue to carry. If you are armed, and someone who is unarmed attacks you, it is likely, unless you are trained, that they will get your gun. You have now armed the person who is attacking you.

We can have strong gun control, and still have the ability to own and carry guns.

Stepping down from soapbox.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gee, all this from one little ol' photo?!:D

This would be a great conversation over a nice cold one, damn wished we lived closer.

"I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy" John Steinbeck

"An armed society is a polite society" Robert Heinlein

·
Some gave all
122 Posts
Italian?

Doc45, that doesnt sound Italian. We mus'nt speak of the rituals... The way of the gun, and the knife.

My entire adult life has been spent in Law Enforcement, and or Military. I am in favor of an armed populace. I am also in favor of anchovies on pizza, so I am unpopular sometimes.

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
In my house

You would only be unpopular after the pizza.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doc45, that doesnt sound Italian. We mus'nt speak of the rituals... The way of the gun, and the knife.

My entire adult life has been spent in Law Enforcement, and or Military. I am in favor of an armed populace. I am also in favor of anchovies on pizza, so I am unpopular sometimes.
Fuhgeddaboudit. Grew up in S. Jersey (outside Atlantic City), not Italian but I could be :D.

I'll just say I've carried a firearm (usually one form of 1911 or another) for over 31 years, had the pleasure of working/training along side some outstanding men from various agencies/military units from not only the US but Germany, England & Israel. It was very natural for my older son to join the military. They younger one would've except he's a type 1 diabetic.

I grew up around the kind of men that did what ever was necessary to make sure they came home to their families at the end of the day. I have the last gun my father carried (a S&W 686 from the first production run, tweaked by a great 'smith in Arizona), I inherited it when he passed in '92. My sons learned to shoot handguns with it, it will never leave the family.

Thank you for your service to your community, be safe.

Oh yeah, whatsamaddayou, no pepparoni?!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts