XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'm the nut that connects the motorbike to the bar
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just entered into XR1200 ownership I have just realised that I have purchased a 2012 X1200X model - I do not know anything about the history of the model so could someone tell me what is the difference between the pre-2012 models and the XR1200X versions?

Also is there a website you can point me to that has the information documented.?

Many thanks all, much appreciated. :)

Still got a week to go before I take delivery. :(

·
Administrator
8,481 Posts
The X models has the upgraded suspension, as Tal pointed out, it also has the full floating brake rotors, blacked out engine, swing arm, exhaust system, triple tree, black trim ring around the speedometer and tach, brake and clutch lever, also the wheels have the painted stripe on them with the bar and shield logo. Can't think of anything else at the moment.
youre on the best source for documentation right here, except for Harley itself, you could always ask the dealer :whistling:

Phaedrus site lists all the production numbers, there should be a link to it somewhere, it's also a great resource for all kinds of information related to the XR, its a good read. Hope this helps, all you have to do is ask, if you want to know anything else.

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts

I do not know anything about the history of the model so could someone tell me what is the difference between the pre-2012 models and the XR1200X versions?

:(
In addition the X has the vented oil tank and different fuse & relay setup from the first '09 bikes.

The most significant difference, to me anywho, was the floating rotors.

The worst thing about the X's? No orange :) :nana:

Also is there a website you can point me to that has the information documented.?

. :(

Lololololol...... Hello?

·
I'm the nut that connects the motorbike to the bar
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. The early XRs were certainly criticised on the front suspension so it looks as if HD actually took note of their customers and the bike press. :clap:

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
The X models has the upgraded suspension, as Tal pointed out, it also has the full floating brake rotors, blacked out engine, swing arm, exhaust system, triple tree, black trim ring around the speedometer and tach, brake and clutch lever, also the wheels have the painted stripe on them with the bar and shield logo. Can't think of anything else at the moment.
youre on the best source for documentation right here, except for Harley itself, you could always ask the dealer :whistling:

Phaedrus site lists all the production numbers, there should be a link to it somewhere, it's also a great resource for all kinds of information related to the XR, its a good read. Hope this helps, all you have to do is ask, if you want to know anything else.
And a cover for the bolt on the triple tree...

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
I love my 09. who wants a vented oil tank, different fuse & relay setup, upgraded suspension and all that other good stuff:)
I know you are being sarcastic, but my feeling is the X suspension isn't really that good either, my oil tank has never been a problem and living in So Cal I don't have problems with the fuse block and rust. The black motor is no biggie to me and the floating rotors aren't either. You see with my Race Tech suspension I am well ahead of an X and there are plenty of better rotors on the market (Not that the stockers are bad anyway) So you can actually end up way ahead buying a non X for less, get the MUCH FASTER Orange Color and be money ahead with better stuff :)

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I know you are being sarcastic, but my feeling is the X suspension isn't really that good either, my oil tank has never been a problem and living in So Cal I don't have problems with the fuse block and rust. The black motor is no biggie to me and the floating rotors aren't either. You see with my Race Tech suspension I am well ahead of an X and there are plenty of better rotors on the market (Not that the stockers are bad anyway) So you can actually end up way ahead buying a non X for less, get the MUCH FASTER Black Color and be money ahead with better stuff :)
+1
Agreed!

·
Lovin the XR!
787 Posts
I know you are being sarcastic, but my feeling is the X suspension isn't really that good either, my oil tank has never been a problem and living in So Cal I don't have problems with the fuse block and rust. The black motor is no biggie to me and the floating rotors aren't either. You see with my Race Tech suspension I am well ahead of an X and there are plenty of better rotors on the market (Not that the stockers are bad anyway) So you can actually end up way ahead buying a non X for less, get the MUCH FASTER Orange Color and be money ahead with better stuff :)
You got it. I have all the stock parts on my bike and things seem to be going well with it. I'm really fine with the stock suspension as I don't really ride all that fast(though I could it's orange:)). My XR is just lots of fun and something different then most riders I run into and the closest bike I will ever have to one of my dream bikes the XR750. I will add that I do like to go fast, I just do my fast riding on the dirt!

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts

Without a doubt the stock suspension on all XR's, X and non-X, leaves a lot of room for improvement. Of course that's pretty true of every manufacturer except KTM and BMW. The XR rear suspension is best replaced as it can't really be modified for performance. However lots of riders will make do with the stock shocks and be satisfied.

The early forks, when set up, are fine (Race Tech is prolly the gold standard there). The Big Piston forks are clearly better on paper but, honestly, I don't think most of us riding blindfolded could tell if we were on an XR with BP forks or standard forks. To test this theory I think we should blindfold Joe ...... :)

I still wish I had the floating rotors :)...... Aftermarket rotors are cooler (and lighter:) ) but I don't want to buy 'em. :)

Blacked out motor? I'm not going to talk about color as an performance upgrade ...... Unless it's to Orange bodywork :nana:

And, contrary to Don :), my original oil tank seeped oil and my fuse block corroded :)

·
Lightning is calling me…….she says “Thunder – you
235 Posts
And most important of all........

The XR front fender bracket was sourced from the 2007 V-ROD which had a 19" front wheel, which is why the guard didn't cover the entire exposed fork lower and why it looks too high on an XR. The XR-X front fender bracket was re-stamped purposely for the XR-X, its a little lower, wider, covers the fork lower better, and has the 3 slots per side (and a little different contour above the mounting which is why its tougher to cut or re-drill to lower it vs the older bracket).

XR Bracket

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

XR-X Bracket
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Vehicle Motorcycle

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.