XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DarkhorseMoto is looking into producing front axle sliders for the XR1200. Is there any interest?

I've got a set of the DarkhorseMoto rear sliders on my XR. I bought them through Matt, and the sliders are great. They fit nicely and have a good clean look. Hopefully I'll never use them, but here is what they look like:

If they make a front slider it will probably look someting like this:

Although with our axle not being recessed, it will likely stack on the end of the axle. Also, the 3/16" hole in the left end of the axle will likely have to be enlarged slightly to accomodate the rod that connects the two ends.

Post up if you're interested, and I'll follow up to see if they will start selling them...

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since I already have the Darkhorse set on the rear of my XR, I might as well do the same for the front. At least it will match.:tank:

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
maybe...

I may be in....depends on cost, function, and look...in that order [:)]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be in....depends on cost, function, and look...in that order [:)]
Well, they are still assessing demand but the ballpark cost would be about $55, similar to their other front sliders. Based on their rears, function should be excellent and look should mimic the rear (minus the spools for a lift).

Personally, I just want a set - and if there is enough interest, they appear to be willing to start producing...

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Sliders...

~

I, too, have a set of the rear ones I got from Matt at Adrenalin. Nice pieces, well designed... Like the little touch of having the hole drilled in one to assist in tightening them.

I'd be game for a front set.

Thanks!

Dallara

~

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'm probably a step ahead of DarkhorseMoto, but if you liked their rear sliders for the XR1200, I'm pretty sure you'll like their front!

I mounted the prototype set on my bike, and I'm again impressed by the quality of their work. Even in prototype, the fit is excellent. Here are some pictures of the DarkhorseMoto front sliders for the XR 1200, and the install.

As nice as the sliders are, it does take a little prep work to get the front axle ready to accept them. It took me about 5 minutes to do. First, the large opening in the right end of the axle is cross-drilled near the end. Unfortunately, HD left burrs inside the axle. You'll probably need to take a round file and knock the burrs off.

Also, HD only leaves about a 3/16" hole in the last 2 1/2" of the axle on the left side of the bike. The hole needs to be enlarged to 1/4", in order to be able to pass the slider connecting rod through the front axle. To be sure that I drilled straight, I put my bit in an extension and drilled from the right side of the bike. Also, the axle is pretty hard, so I enlarged the hole in three steps. Having good sharp bits is a real plus!

This is a picture of the right end slider button. Notice that it has an extension sized to slide into the axle and center the button.

Voila! The right hand button in place.

This just shows the threaded rod that connects the two slider ends. You just insert it through the enlarged hole in the right side of the axle and tighten it down. DarkhorseMoto sends loctite with the sliders, and the front right button has a hole in the side to use to tighten down the sliders if you wish. Also, see how the axle sticks out a little beyond the end of the nut? The left front slider has a recess in the back side so that the slider button sits flush on the nut.

This is the left side slider button tightened down.

Keith from Darkhorse has been out at Laguna Seca for the past week, so I don't know where they stand on selling these things. If you are interested though, you can contact DarkhorseMoto, or one of the sponsors who stock their products.

Cheers,

:scooter:

Attachments

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Dude....
2 Great posts this week!!! What have you been putting in your Cheerios?
Thanks! I want 'em!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darkhorse is going into production of their front sliders for the XR1200. I've got a set on my XR and they are a nice finishing touch. I've even "road tested" them, and yes they did work well when I went down. :whistling:

I got queried by DarkhorseMoto about the level of interest for XR1200 sliders. I've got nothing to do with the company, but if anyone wants a set you can reach out to Keith Thrash at DarkhorseMoto.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sliders..Bar Ends and More

You might just want to take a look at Rhinomoto at www.rhinomoto.com. They have a complete line of XR1200 sliders and some very unique bar ends that take the CRG Mirrors. Pictures are on the website.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might just want to take a look at Rhinomoto at www.rhinomoto.com. They have a complete line of XR1200 sliders and some very unique bar ends that take the CRG Mirrors. Pictures are on the website.

Mark
I see Rhino's bar ends/ mirror mounts, but I don't see Rhino axle sliders for the XR1200. Rhino's basic design wouldn't seem to work with the XR. Am I missing something?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remedy

No, You didn't miss anything, I did. But I am meeting with the head Rhino tomorrow and see about axle and swingarm sliders. I'll post as soon as i find out. The Rhino stuff is top notch, I have it on most of my bikes and have never had a problem with fit and finish or performance.

Mark:oops:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No worries. Darkhorse also does some excellent work, and I've been very pleased with the quality of their previous rear sliders and the new addition of their front sliders.

·
The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules
1,422 Posts
I sure as heck wouldn't buy any slider made out of metal. Metal tends to grab asphalt while plastic slides. Last thing you want is the point of contact auguring in and torquing the piss out of your forks. Tell 'em to make them outta plastic/delron etc...

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
DarkHorse Moto has now sold his entire operation to Al at ASB in California. i don't know if Al plans to continue with the whole DHM range or just the Buell specific stuff, as he doesn't offer any Xr1200 parts in his range at the moment.

I have some DHM swingarm sliders left in stock but won't be getting anymore once these have gone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sure as heck wouldn't buy any slider made out of metal. Metal tends to grab asphalt while plastic slides. Last thing you want is the point of contact auguring in and torquing the piss out of your forks. Tell 'em to make them outta plastic/delron etc...
These definitely slide on pavement - without any gouges or rough points - plus they seem to survive a couple trips to the pavement with only needing to wipe the surface tar off them.

Now bar end sliders on the XR, I wouldn't waste my money on. The bars bend first. :whistling:

·
Administrator
13,493 Posts
These definitely slide on pavement - without any gouges or rough points - plus they seem to survive a couple trips to the pavement with only needing to wipe the surface tar off them............................... :whistling:
What Mr. P says is mostly true and I hope he does not speak from experience. I on the other hand have put the sliders on the pavement. Had to use some 600-grit paper and crocus cloth to re-polish 'em. But they are just fine.

BTW welcome back P. We missed ya.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.