XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the complaints I've had about the XR transmission besides not being a 6 speed is the noise and balky shifting especially when hot. I think I may have found a partial cure to help the shifting. I have tried differant oils, Sync3, Mobile One, and Harley Formula+ and even used BG EPC as an additive and no real change. Yesterday I changed the tranny oil and used Motul 5100 15-50wt. Better shifting almost at once. I had used this oil in Motocross bikes with seperate tranny oil and in MX mini bike racers with engine and tranny oil together. These bikes could be shifted under throttle so the oil works. It seems the 5100 has better sheer polimers than trannies like. I'll keep everyone advised as the miles pile up. :D Later,

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mort, I heard Amsoil was good as well. The Motul features ester. Ester? Don't know who she is but she makes my bike shift smooth. I road a couple hundred miles today with the Motul and the bikes shifts great when hot and doesn't "clank" as much (the clank in the gearbox is a Harley no cost option) when shifting. Careful downshifting or you'll miss neutral. I'll see how it is in a 1000 or 1500 miles. :D Later,

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
shifting-primary chain tension

I also noticed less "clanking" when shifting when I adjusted my primary chain with required specs. Had the initial adjustment at 1,000 miles but it was a few mm's too loose at the 3,000 mile mark. Mort

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don & Wild, If you like the way they shift now just change the tranny oil and you'll be amazed. :clap: Later,

G

·
Mort, I heard Amsoil was good as well. The Motul features ester. Ester? Don't know who she is but she makes my bike shift smooth. I road a couple hundred miles today with the Motul and the bikes shifts great when hot and doesn't "clank" as much (the clank in the gearbox is a Harley no cost option) when shifting. Careful downshifting or you'll miss neutral. I'll see how it is in a 1000 or 1500 miles. :D Later,

Ester containing oils are of high quality! :)

for now, I just "clank" through all the gears since I'm to lazy to change oils or something...I rarely check engine oil as well :rolleyes:

·
scharf2u
117 Posts
Besides going to a full synthetic oil in the gear box, I also put on Storz shifter. It got rid of the long shift linkage rod and tightened up the shifting quite a bit. Also, since I wear a size 14 shoe, the linkage isn't rubbing on the side of my boot.

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct Don the clutch didn't like the Motul. I switched to the Harley + tranny oil and the clutch liked it any it shifted smoother and was a bit less noisy. I think clutch adjustment is more important on HD than some other brands. I run a bit of freeplay. Many Harley techs adjust the clutch with almost 0 freeplay to help the shifting and noise because it allows the clutch to release earlier. Everyone needs to remember a Harley trans has big heavy parts and likes complete lever movement. One way to help the first time clank into low gear when starting out is to pull in the clutch when you first start it to "break" loose the cluch plates. :cool: Later,

·
Registered
245 Posts
Of all the Harley's I've owned (30+) my XR has the smoothest shift that I have experienced and is on a par with the V-Rod - a six speed with a slipper clutch would make it a better bike - mine is still running the oil it came with from the factory and I have a minimum 3/16" freeplay at the pinch point on the clutch lever .

·
Registered
306 Posts
I use the formula + mine shifts nice with a very positive "klunk" I do not take the primary cover off to change, just add thru the chain adjustment "slot" seems to work well and I check my free play.
Mike

·
Its good to have friends
2,308 Posts
Correct Don the clutch didn't like the Motul. I switched to the Harley + tranny oil and the clutch liked it any it shifted smoother and was a bit less noisy. I think clutch adjustment is more important on HD than some other brands. I run a bit of freeplay. Many Harley techs adjust the clutch with almost 0 freeplay to help the shifting and noise because it allows the clutch to release earlier. Everyone needs to remember a Harley trans has big heavy parts and likes complete lever movement. One way to help the first time clank into low gear when starting out is to pull in the clutch when you first start it to "break" loose the cluch plates. :cool: Later,
Billy, and you didn't think I was paying attention....lol.....over

·
The Fonz was here!
586 Posts
You mean he should finish his sentence..........period.
It reads way cooler like this.......over.
You see what I mean.............over.
Er uh I mean............period.

·
You can't build a reputation on something you're g
38 Posts
Rain Riding

If you ride in the rain as I frequently do, you need to check for water in the trans case (Lots of Froth). I found that putting a zip tie on the top of the rubber boot on the clutch cable stops the problem. At my first fluid change I had almost as much water as trans fluid. The factory fluid protected the inards and except for the pain in the ass of cleaning the parts no harm was done. I think the H2O may have dampened the clunk a bit and I miss the slushing sound.:whistling:

·
The Fonz was here!
586 Posts
If you ride in the rain as I frequently do, you need to check for water in the trans case (Lots of Froth). I found that putting a zip tie on the top of the rubber boot on the clutch cable stops the problem. At my first fluid change I had almost as much water as trans fluid. The factory fluid protected the inards and except for the pain in the ass of cleaning the parts no harm was done. I think the H2O may have dampened the clunk a bit and I miss the slushing sound.:whistling:
Good tip....I will do this right away.Thanks!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.