XR1200 Owners Group banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Lightning is calling me…….she says “Thunder – you
195 Posts
Beautiful! My kind of mods for sure.

Since you have the gold Marchesini's (the best) and that lighter rear rotor (perfect), you really should compliment them with the Free Spirits Brembo kit and loose another 3 lbs of unsprung weight....in case you were running out of mods to consider.

Rear Wheel Small.jpg

·
Let's Ride
125 Posts
Looks GREAT Roy and sounds awesome! I'm not a fan of gold, but those wheels and color combination is fantastic. Well done.

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Beautiful! My kind of mods for sure.

Since you have the gold Marchesini's (the best) and that lighter rear rotor (perfect), you really should compliment them with the Free Spirits Brembo kit and loose another 3 lbs of unsprung weight....in case you were running out of mods to consider.

View attachment 243832
TM..yours was the one that gave me inspiration to go the route I went, I really liked how yours turned out. While the brembo kit sounds like it would be a nice upgrade, my funds have been tapped out ...for this year!
regards
Roy

·
HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?
3,556 Posts
Oh boy. What a bike. I am quite envious. I can see some high pipes in my future. Well done Roy that is a masterpiece. A masterpiece that is!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bike looks great! Very tasteful mods...I'm in the Hudson Valley of NY - in CT for work a fair amount - I'll keep my eyes open for her!

·
used ta could
1,766 Posts
Awesome! Way to splurge! Nice to do all those mods at once. I’m waiting for permission to get the matching rear Marchesini to the front I picked up. Haha
There is only one downside to these wheels. Only one. They’re much harder to clean in all the little square inside corners and pockets. It’s worth the extra effort tho. Have fun.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I gotta say , Roy , that I don't like the high pipes ................................. I LOVE them ! :nana:

Outstanding ! They truly set the bike apart .

I had some Bubs on a Moto Guzzi Le Mans some years ago .

I don't remember them as being too loud , but then again back then WHO CARED !

George

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So what's the story on Bubs Exhaust? Are they still in business? I couldn't find any info.
Cm when these bikes came out (2008 in Europe, 2009 here in the USA) there wasn't many companies making good aftermarket parts, a couple of good ones here in USA was Storz performance in California and Vance and Hines. At first, Storz was selling the high pipes from BuBs (chrome or black were offered), and then Bubs started selling them on there own.

Once all their stock was sold, and the XR1200 was discontinued in 2012, the only remaining stock was what you could find used, or on ebay, or here in the XROG classifieds.
years ago I had been outbid on a set on ebay, and I promised myself i would go hard if another set became available. I'm glad I was able to get them from member Jeremy Connors.
I don't know if BuB exhaust still exists as a company, but if they are, there not making any more exhausts for the XR1200.

Regards
Roy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Awesome job Roy

Roy,
She is BEAUTIFUL... i have v & h widows in black now but I want a set of Bubs like yours...
is a relocation bracket needed for something.. how expensive and involved was it?
your bike is done to the nines... love it.. not to spend your money but it would even look hotter with some bR end mirrors.. thanks for sharing Roy.
Brian

·
Lightning is calling me…….she says “Thunder – you
195 Posts
I know BUB Enterprises moved to Grass Valley, CA in 2013.
But the website is down and I see, according to information in BBB files, it appears that they are no longer in business

·
Registered
117 Posts
Every year I swear I'm done messin' with this bike...and every year some new deal comes along that's too good to pass up, in this case it was some items from Jeremy Connors that sent my head spinning. Ever since Day 1 i always thought that the XR1200 looked great with a set of High Pipes and a 17" front wheel. Our member Streetracker produced 4 sets, and the only other option was the exhaust that Storz performance sold and then the exact same ones were available from BuBs. Streettracker's exhaust shootout article he did for Hot Bike magazine concluded that the BuBs were the loudest of all the systems he tested.

When Jeremy said he had a set for sale, I knew this might be my only chance, so I jumped in with both feet knowing not only that finally my vision of what I wanted my XR to be was one step closer to becoming a reality, fortunately he also had the Storz rear brake cylinder relocation kit for sale as well, its all made of billet aluminum and is really a beautiful piece of kit.

My good friend Bill Wilcox, has a shop just 10 miles from my house, soo.... off to the races we go!, these are just some preliminary pictures, there will be more to come as we get closer to the finish line, and at the end, I'll produce a couple of short videos just to see how loud they really are.

I already had the Marchesini wheels, just waiting for the right time to mount them up, First picture shows the rear already installed

View attachment 243800

View attachment 243802

these next pictures show the front wheel mounted on the new 17" Pirelli Angel GT tire size 120/70 ZR17, notice the wheel is perfectly balanced not needing any wheel weights.

View attachment 243804

View attachment 243806

This side shot shows my Supertrapps have been removed, a mounting bracket for the BuBs is there waiting, and the Bling of the Storz brake relocation kit and brake lever installed and operational, I'm really drooling over this kit...it's very cool!

View attachment 243808

View attachment 243810

That's all I have for now,stay tuned...next we will be installing the new front wheel and tire, fitting up the BuBs head pipes and (cough) mufflers.

Jeremy, thanks again for everything. and if Thomgoo or Sam Samuels sees this, I'd like to know if they had any success installing aftermarket sound baffles in them
super nice

·
HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?
3,556 Posts
Roy, following your example (and SamLiverpool's), I too now have a set of Storz/Bub hi pipes winging their way to me from a member who had been hoarding parts for years.

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Great news Art, I'm happy for you...but not your neighbors!
Better have your bike MOT'd before you put them on, if you talk to Sam, maybe ask him how he got on with those generic DB killers he was going to install, and how he rigged up relocating the rear brake master cylinder.
Can't wait to see how you get on with them...Black or Chrome, which did you get?
Regards
Roy

·
HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?
3,556 Posts
Cheers Roy, Black pipes, I think I"'m getting the Storz rearsets with the kit so shouldn't have a problem with the master cylinder. Noise should be ok too, I'm deaf in one ear and don't hear much with the other. MOT wise I have made good friends with a local test centre boss. My neighbours don't talk to me much already, perhaps this will bring them closer.....NOT! Sam has already given me some advice on fitting, I'll ask if he got his db killers to work or not. When we were riding round Wales last year his Bubs didn't sound any quieter. For good measure I have also negotiated a buy back of the fancy Jezza race replica paintwork I stupidly sold last year. Bike is booked in with Boz for a quick dial in on the dyno sometime in April. Gonna be a good year for me buzzing about on my rejuvenated scoot.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts