XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I swear I'm done messin' with this bike...and every year some new deal comes along that's too good to pass up, in this case it was some items from Jeremy Connors that sent my head spinning. Ever since Day 1 i always thought that the XR1200 looked great with a set of High Pipes and a 17" front wheel. Our member Streetracker produced 4 sets, and the only other option was the exhaust that Storz performance sold and then the exact same ones were available from BuBs. Streettracker's exhaust shootout article he did for Hot Bike magazine concluded that the BuBs were the loudest of all the systems he tested.

When Jeremy said he had a set for sale, I knew this might be my only chance, so I jumped in with both feet knowing not only that finally my vision of what I wanted my XR to be was one step closer to becoming a reality, fortunately he also had the Storz rear brake cylinder relocation kit for sale as well, its all made of billet aluminum and is really a beautiful piece of kit.

My good friend Bill Wilcox, has a shop just 10 miles from my house, soo.... off to the races we go!, these are just some preliminary pictures, there will be more to come as we get closer to the finish line, and at the end, I'll produce a couple of short videos just to see how loud they really are.

I already had the Marchesini wheels, just waiting for the right time to mount them up, First picture shows the rear already installed

12-9-21 at Wilcox 005.jpg

12-9-21 at Wilcox 004.jpg

these next pictures show the front wheel mounted on the new 17" Pirelli Angel GT tire size 120/70 ZR17, notice the wheel is perfectly balanced not needing any wheel weights.

12-9-21 at Wilcox 009.jpg

12-9-21 at Wilcox 001.jpg

This side shot shows my Supertrapps have been removed, a mounting bracket for the BuBs is there waiting, and the Bling of the Storz brake relocation kit and brake lever installed and operational, I'm really drooling over this kit...it's very cool!

12-9-21 at Wilcox 010.jpg

12-9-21 at Wilcox 007.jpg

That's all I have for now,stay tuned...next we will be installing the new front wheel and tire, fitting up the BuBs head pipes and (cough) mufflers.

Jeremy, thanks again for everything. and if Thomgoo or Sam Samuels sees this, I'd like to know if they had any success installing aftermarket sound baffles in them

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,751 Posts
Very tasty Roy. We clearly share a similar vision of what makes an optimum XR. Think you're going to enjoy those wheels, did you happen to weigh the new and old wheels before installing? I'd be intriuged to know what the stock rear wheel & tire combo in particular weighed vs. the new Marchesini & Angel GT combo...
Keep the pics coming.
Cheers,

J.

·
Super Moderator
12,480 Posts
Dam Roy, looking good Amigo! Can't wait to see what your outcome! Go get you some!

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,168 Posts
Looks really good. Can't wait to see it with the Bub's, but I hope nobody lives close by. Didn't streettracker say they sounded like a pack of XR750's leaving the line at Springfield.:whistling:
I don't think anyone can leave their XR alone, isn't that why we call them a"STARTER KIT"

·
Registered
64 Posts
The gold forks, Ohlins shocks, and the gold wheels, on the orange. Magnifique!

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shack, I'm sorry I didn't get to do any weight comparisons for everybody, but believe me when I tell you they are Light, much lighter than stock.
We were going full out to get this done and to beat the bad weather that's heading our way in a couple of days.so I'm sorry I didn't take more photos of everything as it was coming together. I have to say, I'm very pleased with the way it turned out, all that's left is to re install the belly pan, and to have the 17" Vance and Hines front fender painted (John, your thread on painting your fender will come in very handy)

One problem on the way home was that my Power Vision was not reading the AFR's on one of the cylinders, we must have knocked a wire loose, but I have all Winter to trace that problem down and fix it. you can tell in the video that its running a little rough. Thanks to everyone for the positive comments, I think this time I'm really done modifying things :rolleyes:

A few more pictures and a short video

002.jpg

004.jpg

009.jpg

Excuse the shaky video, I was a bit excited!

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,751 Posts
I think darbgnik got it spot on when he said "manifique", ' cause it sure is.

Roy, like I said above, your vision of how an XR should be optimised closely parallels mine, and a number of others on this forum, with a few incidental diferences. If only HD had released the XR much like this I honestly think it would have been a top 10 hit, and might still be with us in some form, even at a significant premium over the price at which it was originally sold. Your example proves all over again that there is a such a great, capable, gnarly & highly attractive road bike lurking within the basic XR platform, just waiting to be unleashed if equipped & set up right. Would that the factory had seen it your way, or should I say, our way.

The gold wheels, shocks & forks combo in combination with the orange paint and blacked out motor look stunning. No other word to describe it. Even Thomas must be wondering now if his colour scheme of ruby and black components looks as good as yours (and speaking of Thomas, where has the old bugger got to?...we haven't heard a peep from him or Magoo for that matter in months...anyone have any word?).

If you want to go that extra nth degree of colour coding, NHK make a gold bodied steering damper, model ODM 3000E I believe, which would chime in beautifully with your forks. $165 USD to you from Fast From The Past in Gainsville, Florida. Check them out.

The Bub's sound lovely too. Hope you don't end up with a grilled R calf from them, that's all. They look the business too. In fact they look all business!

Just a word re painting your V &H guard. If you do it yourself using an acrylic paint, either get a proper automotive acrylic that dries quickly, or be prepared to wait a while before applying the top clear coat. I have had my colour coat crack in a fine "crocodile skin" fashion some time after I finished the job, and I think it's because I didn't wait long enough for the acrylic to dry thoroughly before spraying the clear. I plan to re do it this summer. Just a word to the wise.

"Manifique" indeed! Let us have a ride report on the end result in due course...

J.

·
Super Moderator
12,480 Posts
Stunning Roy! Absofukcinglutely stunning! Well done!

Reactions: aa79912
1 - 20 of 38 Posts