XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Don't touch me there!
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per superbike planet:

Knowledgeable sources report that Briton Cal Crutchlow has inked a deal that will see him leave the Yamaha fold and ride for the Italian manufacturer Ducati in MotoGP starting in 2014.
Crutchlow chose Ducati and a big payday.

Not too sure I would have turned down the big payday myself but I think this is a huge mistake for him, Ducati is where promising careers go to die. Better wring the best out of the M1 while you got it, Cal. Hopefully Audi will put that big budget and their racing experience to work but I don't see it......

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Who knows? Cal is so good and young, he may be able to adapt. I'd love to see him make Yamaha eat humble pie, but it'll be a long shot.

That asshole Stoner (IMHO) (()) was able to find a way to make the Ducati's go.......

But in hearing Rossi talk about the reluctance of Ducati engineers to listen to rider input and knowing Cal can be a little outspoken himself, there is a good chance this is going to be a very acrimonious relationship. Should make for great entertainment :clap:

·
There's a fine line between tough and dumb...
983 Posts
Looks like a bad move for an up and comer, in my opinion. Hayden can't make the Duc work, Rossi couldn't make the Duc work. Stoner was the last one to make a go of it, and I'm not sure we're talking about the same Ducati these days. With no room on the Honda and Yamaha teams, I guess Ducati is the only option for a factory ride. I think he'd be better on the satellite Yamaha. Of course, none of this takes into account changes that Dorna might make to the rules for next year.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Looks like a bad move for an up and comer, in my opinion. Hayden can't make the Duc work, Rossi couldn't make the Duc work. Stoner was the last one to make a go of it, and I'm not sure we're talking about the same Ducati these days. With no room on the Honda and Yamaha teams, I guess Ducati is the only option for a factory ride. I think he'd be better on the satellite Yamaha. Of course, none of this takes into account changes that Dorna might make to the rules for next year.
I think I'd rather take a chance on the prototype Suzuki than the Ducati.......better yet he could snag a ride on a Gresini or LCR Honda (that's what I wish Nicky would do... :) )...........

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
There`s to many top riders and to few rides.He must just think to hell with it go for the big bucks.I would have him on a Honda or a Yam factory ride what does he have to prove he`s brilliant and erm British(no bias whatsoever:rolleyes:)

Sam

·
Hooray for boobies!
1,085 Posts
Suzuki aren't in the game until 2015 so I think it was now or never. I do wonder if there has been any input, investment or reassurances from Audi on the deal.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Cal's relatively not that young in the sport , I think he chose financial security and prestige over winning , hopefully he can get a better ride in 2016 and not carry the Duc curse. Stoner won with tires that gave him an advantage that year he wasn't that stunning after riding for Ducati.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Cal's relatively not that young in the sport , I think he chose financial security and prestige over winning , hopefully he can get a better ride in 2016 and not carry the Duc curse. Stoner won with tires that gave him an advantage that year he wasn't that stunning after riding for Ducati.
Money yes Prestige I dont know. He would probably have more on the ride he`s got getting podiums if its there for him next year.Simon might have something with Audi being the new owners.

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
My take on this is....Cal is at a point in his career where his options are limited, for the next two years, due to contracts that have already been signed, he only had access to a Yamaha or Honda satellite team and does not have a chance of winning a championship.
So his Ducati works contract for two years is a no brainier, for IMO two reasons, one is the big fat pay check and the other is to do better than Rossi did on the Ducati, if he does he stands a very good chance of getting a factory Yamaha or Honda ride two years from now. It is also possible that now the old guard at Ducati race team are under VW/Audi control with the massive financial backing they now have will change and things might move on in a more positive way......IMO Cal had no choice but to go with the Ducati deal.

Either way I will be right behind him, I like him and love his attitude and sense of humour...........Go Crutchlow. ++

As far as Yamaha go, they see Lorenzo as a winner and Rossi as a money maker, as much as I like Rossi his day has gone and he is just Yamaha's cash cow. I'll put money on Rossi retiring at the end of this Yamaha contract.

·
"Is that a Buell?"
245 Posts
Rossi could not change Ducati, but Audi can. They already made some big changes this month, on all levels, and I think that Cal is counting on it.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
........ ++

As far as Yamaha go, they see Lorenzo as a winner and Rossi as a money maker, as much as I like Rossi his day has gone and he is just Yamaha's cash cow. I'll put money on Rossi retiring at the end of this Yamaha contract.

I'm not sure anyone makes any money from MotoGP. I'm surprised Suzuki is coming back.

Does Yamaha sell additional bikes because Rossi rides a million dollar, hand built, factory maintained, titanium and carbon fibre rocketship? Maybe a few, but enough to pay his $12,000,000 salary? Plus the salaries of his support team? And trucks, transportation, travel expenses, entry fees, yada yada yada..... No way. If it was a financial decision Yamaha would do what every other right thinking company would do, GET OUT! :devil:

The only reason Yamaha is in MotoGP is because Honda is in MotoGP. If Honda got out of MotoGP, Yamaha would be out in a flash.

I LOVE MotoGP.....but it makes no logical sense. World Superbike, on the other hand, makes perfect sense......race what you sell.....win on Sunday, sell on Monday :)

Cal is gonna do great anywhere.....and Audi will change the culture at Ducati :)

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
.and Audi will change the culture at Ducati :)
We been hearing that since thy bought the Duc Farm, but it hasn't happened yet. Wonder if the Italians and Germans aren't playing well together - wouldn't be the first time ....

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
We been hearing that since thy bought the Duc Farm, but it hasn't happened yet. Wonder if the Italians and Germans aren't playing well together - wouldn't be the first time ....

For years I reported to a CEO who's favorite saying, whenever we'd acquire another company, was, "We will change the people or we will change the people."

:)

·
7,305 Posts
I'm not sure anyone makes any money from MotoGP. I'm surprised Suzuki is coming back.

Does Yamaha sell additional bikes because Rossi rides a million dollar, hand built, factory maintained, titanium and carbon fibre rocketship? Maybe a few, but enough to pay his $12,000,000 salary? Plus the salaries of his support team? And trucks, transportation, travel expenses, entry fees, yada yada yada..... No way. If it was a financial decision Yamaha would do what every other right thinking company would do, GET OUT! :devil:
What I was getting at was more the sponsors rather than bike sales, they are going to pay a premium to have their names on a bike ridden by Rossi so Yamaha get the best of both worlds, they have a winner in Lorenzo (before his two accidents) and a sponsor magnet with Rossi. That must take a large part of the financial burden of Yamaha's GP bill.

Audi have only bought Ducati 16 months ago so they should just about be getting geared up to start make a difference, that stuff takes time. I think things might start to flow better for Ducati, or at least I hope so, its getting a little to much with just a two horse race.
I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how it works out over the next couple of years.

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
i would love to see Ducati back in the hunt. As Scotty says the two horse race sucks. And if Ducati can make the changes now with Cal, that's great.
Maybe they just need to pull Fast Freddie Spencer out of retirement. That guy could adapt to a Vespa's handling and make it go fast!

·
7,305 Posts
In an ideal world I would love to see Stoner back on that Ducati just to see if....?

I posted this a while ago on another thread....

"I read a great quote the other day by a Merican tuner/journalist Kevin Cameron "We thought Ducati were geniuses in 2007, but now its clear, the genius was Casey Stoner" made me smile that did
Same guy also said "when I was young I made the classic mistake of try to make racers out of production bikes, which is like trying to mill an alternative universe out of solid billet" which made me smile and think of one or two folks around here"

http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/si.../page2?highlight=2007+thought+ducati+geniuses

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.