XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2011 Harley Davidson XR1200X
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I did a search for adding a cruise control, however the latest posts were 10+ years ago. So I thought I would get the groups input on adding the HD factory cruise control module to the XR. Cruise Control Kit - 41000369 | Harley-Davidson USA. Has anyone attempted an install of HD cruise control on a XR? Appears that it would be functionally (lights, horn, blinker) the same. Thought I would get some input from the group before I made the dealer inquiry.
Thoughts??
Thanks,
Larry

· Registered
746 Posts
I have not seen one of these in person, but have had it bookmarked for some time. Good chance I may try it one year, won't be this year unfortunately.
Motorcycle electronic cruise control - Motorcycle Cruise Controls (mccruise.com)

I inquired at local HD a few years back and they said no HD product available would work for any sportster. Maybe that has changed since. That is why I had this Australian company bookmarked.

· Premium Member
151 Posts
I have not seen one of these in person, but have had it bookmarked for some time. Good chance I may try it one year, won't be this year unfortunately.
Motorcycle electronic cruise control - Motorcycle Cruise Controls (mccruise.com)

I inquired at local HD a few years back and they said no HD product available would work for any sportster. Maybe that has changed since. That is why I had this Australian company bookmarked.
My 04 XL Sportster I had a devise to tighten down the throttle which would act like a cruise control. I just used it to let the right hand rest on long freeway rides.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
No offense, but cruise control on a sportster? The XR1200 is the sports bike of H-D Pack. Depending on how fast you ride, 50-80 mph, that’s about 1.5 to 2 hours between fill-ups.

Reactions: charlesb52

· Registered
746 Posts
My 04 XL Sportster I had a devise to tighten down the throttle which would act like a cruise control. I just used it to let the right hand rest on long freeway rides.
I have the star adjuster from factory which is cumbersome at best. I also have two different styles of clip on cruise control. Both of them are thin, but still take up too much realestate on the throttle. With one of these on my hand is wide enough that my pinky is then hanging off the throttle which is also uncomfortable.

No offense, but cruise control on a sportster? The XR1200 is the sports bike of H-D Pack. Depending on how fast you ride, 50-80 mph, that’s about 1.5 to 2 hours between fill-ups.
No offense, but cruise control on a bagger? It is all in how you use it. As the XR is my only bike, it does it all for me. Ontario to Alberta, to Colorado, back to Ontario; Ontario to Tail of the Dragon and back, lots of highway riding to get to the twisties. I also use the XR 3 out of 4 seasons to commute to work. Those commutes, I do back roads during daylight hours, but highway at night one direction to avoid deer and drunks on the backroads. Commuting on highways to work, I would never use manual cruise control because speed fluctuates too much on hilly parts and I don't really need it. I would use electronic cruise on highway commutes with moderate traffic, just for the convenience of keeping a steady exact speed. It has its' uses.

· Registered
746 Posts
I like the idea and the fact that the device Lakota found is Australian, but $1165 AUD....not sure I like it that much...

j.
Hell, that is less than the price of a Corbin Gunfighter and lady saddle ($1093 usd) when you look at exchange rate! Canada and Australia dollars are close to par.

Reactions: Seamus

· Registered
15 Posts
Most sport bikes now also have cruise control from the factory. My Aprilia Tuono and Caponord have cruise control. But the throttle lock and light return spring on my XR1200R works pretty good as a manual cruise control anyway.

· Registered
2011 Harley Davidson XR1200X
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most sport bikes now also have cruise control from the factory. My Aprilia Tuono and Caponord have cruise control. But the throttle lock and light return spring on my XR1200R works pretty good as a manual cruise control anyway.
Corey, Thanks. Curious as to what throttle lock you are using.

· Registered
853 Posts
Not quite sure how that CC would work on the XR as it doesn't have a motor actuator on the throttle like newer 'ride by wire' motorcycles. There is a thumb screw on the bottom of my throttle grip ( is this standard ? ), which if I screw it in holds the throttle grip in position. The only problem with this method is if there's an up-hill gradient the bike slows down, more alarmingly on a down hill gradient the bike speeds up! It's OK on our motorways, but anything else it's a nightmare, but I can see how helpful it'd be on American freeways.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I did a search for adding a cruise control, however the latest posts were 10+ years ago. So I thought I would get the groups input on adding the HD factory cruise control module to the XR. Cruise Control Kit - 41000369 | Harley-Davidson USA. Has anyone attempted an install of HD cruise control on a XR? Appears that it would be functionally (lights, horn, blinker) the same. Thought I would get some input from the group before I made the dealer inquiry.
Thoughts??
Thanks,
Larry
Don’t know if you solved this but I just was looking and this won’t fit the XR1200. Bummer. My arthritis is limiting my ride time because of sore hands

· Registered
176 Posts
Back in the days when cars had carbs, a few even had cruise controls. Under the hood some big vacuum thing to pull throttle wires according to rpms.
Any ideas ? Nowadays cars use small servos to pull such wires.. i want one

1 - 13 of 13 Posts