XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been looking, and reading a lot on here for a while now, and one thing I see in every picture, is the clutch cable that hangs down from the lower part of the frame. Once you see it it can't be unseen! I have read many posts about clutch cables and their wear issues, but haven't seen anything about having one custom made that doesn't hang and/or one made a different length, that can be rerouted to not hang below the frame? Saw a picture of one that secured the cable housing to the down-frame. I do understand how these cables work, and their function, and know anything can be made to any length by companies like Motion Pro. One has to be able to turn lock to lock without pulling on the cable assembly, and I see where it seals at the clutch cover as well. Just wondering if anyone has attempted anything other than stock, for a stock? Good and bad experience with this subject?

·
Lightning is calling me…….she says “Thunder – you
201 Posts
I hated the look of that cable hanging down but I don't think a shorter cable or tying it down is the answer. I went with the Vance & Hines belly pan just for that reason - cable slips through the inside for a nice clean look and still allows the proper mobility.

Before and after:

Image2.jpg

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh that is a great idea, hides the cable, and looks so much better.

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
Some people have gone to shorter HD clutch cables from other models. I dont have the part numbers handy but there are shorter options available.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,826 Posts
Some people have gone to shorter HD clutch cables from other models. I dont have the part numbers handy but there are shorter options available.
Replacement/shorter clutch cable unecessary IMHO. Just zip tie it loosely to the lower chassis tube. First thing I ever did, 10 years ago. Zero problem since.

J.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well then you go! Thanks for all of the replies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts