XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My ‘09 is in the shop having the stock motor mounts replaced with Drag Specialties Mounts. I have read a lot here that the Drag Mounts are firmer than the H-D, and when dropping it off to have the work done, the Tech showed me how he checked the rear one. I was amazed how much movement there was for a bike that has only 12500 mikes on it. With the bike on the side stand, pull and push the top of the rear wheel side to side, not front and back, and watch the movement. Mine moved quite a bit more than what would be considered within normal. We saw a lot of movement. No wonder the race teams went with neoprene rear mounts. Part of the service inspection is to have the rear mounts inspected and the bolts checked. Mine had one of the smaller bolts loose, but all fasteners are getting replaced. The swing-arm bearings are also getting replaced, because they have a gritty feel to them.

It is in the shop overnight and should be complete by the end of the day tomorrow.

Please check your rear mounts like I have described, and replace them with upgraded mounts. Replace the front mounts too if you haven’t ever replaced them. Pictures tomorrow.

(2) Drag Front Mounts
0933-0054

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Font Camera accessory

(2) Drag Rear Mounts
0933-0055

Automotive tire Output device Rim Automotive wheel system Circle

·
Registered
765 Posts
Changed all four of mine to DS mounts at about 12K, but I also filled them with polyurethane rubber to make them even more stiffer!
Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part Artisan

This is the old front mounts on the left compared to a new DS on the right

Camera accessory Material property Auto part Font Fashion accessory

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking forward to the changes after its complete.

Motor vehicle Font Art Auto part Drawing

#9 and #1 are getting replaced in this image below:

Font Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part Parallel

·
used ta could
2,281 Posts
To those that think that changing to the DS isolators will make your beloved bike a shaking, rattling, uncomfortable piece of junk, you are wrong. This tightens it up so it handles like a real bike. Before spending money on suspension have these put in or do it yourself( it’s a hard job). This should be the number one mod for anyone who likes to turn. The stockers are done by 10,000miles and compromised long before that.

·
Let's Ride
538 Posts
Thanks everyone for this info. At 24,000 miles I'm guessing mine are shot! I believe I've read on this forum that the Neoprene ones may be a little too harsh for everyday street riding... is this correct?

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: Chipmaker

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts
FWIW, the mounts used in the race series were not neoprene. They were supplied by Vance & Hines and were made of polypropylene. A much stiffer compound than neoprene (which is wetsuit material).

You wanna get rid of the wobble.........................here's your ticket:

:D
Product Automotive tire Font Rim Wheel

Just to be clear, I have a set of Drag Specialties mounts on the shelf, but I am still on the OEM mounts. I note that I have been told by riders following me on rides that my bike does indeed go through "gyrations" when cornering. Just adds another dimension to riding the XR. :D

I really should change those out. 🤞

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just for reference... Drag Specialty number is 1302-0091.
Nice job there! Those bearings do not come with the retaining rings, so you would need to purchase the H-D 11282 listed above.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Joe at Suburban H-D has those white mounts listed above for $120.00 a set. I just e-mailed him this morning about them. This is something that Suburban H-D is planning on remaking.
[email protected]

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts
Joe at Suburban H-D has those white mounts listed above for $120.00 a set. I just e-mailed him this morning about them. This is something that Suburban H-D is planning on remaking.
[email protected]

Looks like I am going to have to keep the Drag Mounts in place.
Hey Corey, looking forward to your ride report! Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Old mounts removed.

Automotive tire Tire Tread Rim Synthetic rubber

New mounts installed.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim Engineering

·
Registered
2011 XR1200x
39 Posts
FWIW, the mounts used in the race series were not neoprene. They were supplied by Vance & Hines and were made of polypropylene. A much stiffer compound than neoprene (which is wetsuit material).

You wanna get rid of the wobble.........................here's your ticket:

:D
View attachment 251172

Just to be clear, I have a set of Drag Specialties mounts on the shelf, but I am still on the OEM mounts. I note that I have been told by riders following me on rides that my bike does indeed go through "gyrations" when cornering. Just adds another dimension to riding the XR. :D

I really should change those out. 🤞
Good observation. I have these installed on my bike. Stiffens up the handling. I like the Vance & Hines white nylon polypropylene rear inserts. Too bad they don’t manufacture these anymore. It was part of their racing kit. I regret not buying the whole kit. Ahhh hindsight!

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@geno
The shop did mine. I wasn’t about to take on that task. They found a few things and fixed them. Happy just knowing the old ones were replaced correctly, and I’m good for many miles.

Rode it home(7 miles) and didn’t notice an alarming difference, but the rear shocks I installed were binding. Tech installed the correct spacers from my Ohlins Purchase that came with them. Ride feels better out back. Time will tell.

Bassani recommends Screamin’ Eagle Exhaust Gaskets, but I installed stock gaskets instead. Feels a little better through the RPM Range.

Still getting use to this bike. Loads of fun, and I could post something about it every day. Don’t want to be THAT guy. Glad I bought this iconic bike, and maybe in a year I might do cams, but going to enjoy it as it is for now.

Reactions: geno
1 - 20 of 53 Posts