XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XR1200
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, does anyone know about those cam marks? Yeah i know they are timing marks but, there is couple marks too much, or are there?
Then another queston, back cylinder cracked this summer. Any idea how that might been happened. No marks in piston or cylinder head. I have wiseco 4891P1 pistons.
Automotive tire Gear Black Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system
Sky Tints and shades Automotive lighting Rim Eyewear

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
This happens when a cheap Garage Tuning is common.Lots of Sportsters & Buells dying with this kind of tuning with Parts right from the Box.

·
used ta could
2,011 Posts
This happens when a cheap Garage Tuning is common.Lots of Sportsters & Buells dying with this kind of tuning with Parts right from the Box.
Could you elaborate please? I was really hoping for some replies to this thread for learning purposes.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have seen a few REAR Cylinders crackin on the Base.When Companys like S&S offering Big Bore Kits and Hot Cams People starts to build their own BB.After breaking in the Cylinders it was common very often the Engine was ruined after a few short Blasts or a longer Heat on the Motorway.I do not know whats on but it seems the high Revs & heavy Pistons,weak Cylinderbolts,enlarging Conrods ,you name it.My Friends British Bikes ,Norton & BSA collapsing in Sidecar Racing allways after 3-4 Heats.I believe there must be something wrong with the Borediameter and the Oilsystem.at this Point.Cylinders need a Bore for extra Oil,the splashing Oil isnt enough.
Harley Sportsters havin a Bore in the lower Section of the Cylinder.
Using the tuned Engins under normal running Conditions no Problems but trying to find out whats up you will Surprised without any Warning.
Pistons need to be cooled from the lower Side by spraying Oil with a Jet.I remember my first BSA Rocket III engine with
1000cc.Extra Copperlines with a Jet ,takin Oil from the Crankshaftbearing works but it was a tricky Job.

·
Registered
2008 XR1200
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen a few REAR Cylinders crackin on the Base.When Companys like S&S offering Big Bore Kits and Hot Cams People starts to build their own BB.After breaking in the Cylinders it was common very often the Engine was ruined after a few short Blasts or a longer Heat on the Motorway.I do not know whats on but it seems the high Revs & heavy Pistons,weak Cylinderbolts,enlarging Conrods ,you name it.My Friends British Bikes ,Norton & BSA collapsing in Sidecar Racing allways after 3-4 Heats.I believe there must be something wrong with the Borediameter and the Oilsystem.at this Point.Cylinders need a Bore for extra Oil,the splashing Oil isnt enough.
Harley Sportsters havin a Bore in the lower Section of the Cylinder.
Using the tuned Engins under normal running Conditions no Problems but trying to find out whats up you will Surprised without any Warning.
Pistons need to be cooled from the lower Side by spraying Oil with a Jet.I remember my first BSA Rocket III engine with
1000cc.Extra Copperlines with a Jet ,takin Oil from the Crankshaftbearing works but it was a tricky Job.
Ok, there is oil jetting for pistons, and no heat marks at the piston. And it is not a big bore kit. Cylinder is now tested with MPI test and PT. No crack, it is a thin piece of cylinder wall that has left.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Maybe someone ruined the Cylinder when mounting it to the Housing.Sry but i cant see the Crack.Vertical or horizontal?.

·
Registered
2008 XR1200
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe someone ruined the Cylinder when mounting it to the Housing.Sry but i cant see the Crack.Vertical or horizontal?.
Horizontal, about 10 a clock to 12 a clock. Darker area on that picture where is that fluorisent yellow stuff. Pistons are .010 oversize and cylinders were bored and matched with pistons in a machine shop last winter.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I dont know yet if oversize Pistons are in the Partslist for XR,s.If not there must be a Reason.some Parts of the XR Engine from the Buell Bikes.

·
Registered
2008 XR1200
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont know yet if overseized Pistons are in the Partslist for XR,s.If not there must be a Reason.some Parts of the XR Engine from the Buell Bikes.
Well because harley there may not be any reason for anything 😂. For example sprocket bolt, there was a time when i needed a new one and everywhere i asked they said no go and couldnt get one. Took about three months to get one thanks for the Twin motorcycles from Holland 👌🏻 I was allready forgot that but they remembered it and sended to me as soon they got one. That was nice customer service 👍🏻

1 - 11 of 11 Posts