XR1200 Owners Group banner

301 - 320 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm struggling here..
So someone made the plate (with 3 holes) using a water jet, I believe.
I want the Mr.H set up, but I'm confused because I keep seeing "Buell shifter", parts to acquire, etc. Is the Buel shifter being referenced the famous Mr.H set up, or are they different?

Here are a few pics of the parts needed to install the Buell XB shifter that I include in the kit, along with the part numbers and prices from AmericanSportBike.com for the Buell items I used to complete the installation.

One each of the following from ASB...
17174...Shift Pedal Assy, XB Series $27.95
17114...Shifter Linkage Assy, XB Series $29.75
16205-CL...Shift Shaft Arm, Clear Anodize $22.95
17191...Bushing, Shift/Brake Lever, XB Series $7.35
17127...Bolt, Flange Head, Shift/Brake pivot, XB Series $4.00

You can order online from ASB, or call 760-727-2333
The parts from ASB total $92+shipping, the parts I've made and supply are $68 shipped CONUS and include...

1/4" aluminum mounting plate with 5/16-18 threaded hole for shift pivot flange bolt
5/16-18 serrated-flange hex nut (zinc plated)
1/4-20 x 1 1/4" stainless steel socket head cap screws (2pcs)
1/4" stainless steel washers (2pcs)
10-24 x 3/4" stainless steel button head cap screw
10-24 x 1" stainless steel button head cap screw
3/8"OD x 5/16"L aluminum unthreaded spacer (#10 size)
1/2"OD x 1/2"L aluminum unthreaded spacer (2pcs)(1/4" size)
1" satin black painted pvc footrest spacer

The aluminum mounting plate has a smooth sanded satin finish on front and along edges, rear surface is
orbital sanded.

As you can see in the attached pic, your shifter toe peg remains in the exact same location as the stock unit.

I have a few of these currently completed, so just PM me if you'd like to have one.

Thanks, Mitch

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
I'm struggling here..
I want the Mr.H set up, but I'm confused because I keep seeing "Buell shifter", parts to acquire, etc. Is the Buel shifter being referenced the famous Mr.H set up, or are they different?
Yes, MrH's shifter was made using the Buell parts, he made the mounting plate ( the one you referenced using the water jet) and sourced all the assorted hardware parts from a mail order supply company, additionaly, you'll have to buy those Buell parts to complete the kit.
Hope this helps some. the thing is, he made so many versions of his shifter kit that its hard to keep up with which parts were superceded.
I believe the parts list above are the ones for the basic MrH shifter kit

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you, that's helpful.
Yes, MrH's shifter was made using the Buell parts, he made the mounting plate ( the one you referenced using the water jet) and sourced all the assorted hardware parts from a mail order supply company, additionaly, you'll have to buy those Buell parts to complete the kit.
Hope this helps some. the thing is, he made so many versions of his shifter kit that its hard to keep up with which parts were superceded.
I believe the parts list above are the ones for the basic MrH shifter kit

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
Mr. H wasn't the one who first designed this. Wasn't it Blight that came up with this idea and made it ?
triple p, my memory is a bit foggy, I think you are correct, blight was first with the design, and was kind enough to share all his work with us, I think MrH took the ball and ran with it offering complete kits for sale based on Blights design, as time went on, MrH evolved his "gear jammer" tweaking it here and there.

·
There's a fine line between tough and dumb...
983 Posts
The Mr. H shifter I had didn't use the Buell shift lever; it was the Gear Jammer 2, I believe, and I think he fabricated all the parts.

·
huh?
239 Posts
I found mine on ebay for 65

I'm struggling here..

·
GreaseMonkeyWithMBA
78 Posts
hopefully a quick question - since American Sport Bike no longer exists..... does the Buell XB Shift Shaft Arm fit on our XR's? Thank you all - I have everything else done and that shift arm is the last thing I need

·
used ta could
1,870 Posts
hopefully a quick question - since American Sport Bike no longer exists..... does the Buell XB Shift Shaft Arm fit on our XR's? Thank you all - I have everything else done and that shift arm is the last thing I need
I always wondered why no one used the XR arm. Is it too long or stick out too far or something?

·
GreaseMonkeyWithMBA
78 Posts
Upon further review, I believe it was covered earlier in this log - but I learned/observed when I was ready to assemble the shifter conversion - the stock XR shift shaft arm has a couple things that prevent it from being used with the Buell shifter - the XR uses a larger rod end and mounting bolt than the Buell - it also sticks out too far - I have a shift shaft arm for an XB coming from St Paul HD - hope to have it in a couple days - $34 with shipping - I also purchased the Buell XB shift kit from them - it was less than $100

·
Registered
546 Posts
Mr. H wasn't the one who first designed this. Wasn't it Blight that came up with this idea and made it ?
Yeppp... it was my design originally for the XR1200, and I even sent out a drawing to everyone here to make your own mounting plate for the Buell shift lever, etc.

I just chose not to capitalize on it. Really easy to fab up in your garage, or have a friend make it for you!

Thanks for mentioning where the original idea came from!!

Still riding my 9 year old XR1200 with this shifter setup, and it works positively & perfectly!

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
There's a fine line between tough and dumb...
983 Posts
Roginoz you said you liked this set up better than a Sato shifter. How come?
It seems to me it shifts with a little bit less effort than the Sato. The Sato looks better, and the workmanship is excellent, but the Buell set-up (to me) works a bit easier.

·
GreaseMonkeyWithMBA
78 Posts
Thank you to BLIGHT (the drawing for the plate fit perfectly) and all the others that tested and put together and to the many that have already installed one of these shifters (going back almost 10 years now) I can echo everything that has been said before about the huge improvement in shifting on the XR - clicks right into the gears - no clunking (dare I say click almost like the metric bikes I have ridden) - for those of us new to the XR- I bought the Buell XB shifter kit and the XB shift shaft arm from St Paul HD (they sell on e-bay and directly through their website - Doug Leonard provides excellent support and response)

the Arm is - T0225.02A8, Buell Fuel Engine Shift Lever, All 2003-2010 XB Models (B1Q) - sells for $28.50
also need a bolt to clamp the arm - 10-24 x 1 1/8 SHCS - get from local hardware or it's only $3 - AN1009.2CXZB

the shifter kit consists of
BN0630.02A8A Buell Shifter Pedal Assy In Textured Black All 2003-2010 XB Models, (L18E) (they sell in bare aluminum too - I went all black to match the XRx)
N0320.02A8 Genuine Buell Shifter Linkage and Bolts, Most 2003-2010 XB Models, (Kit B4H/B1J)
A0015.02A8 Genuine Buell Flange Head Bolt (B1H)
N0599.02A8A
- all for less than $100

Thank you again to all who developed, tested and installed this in the past
20190506_164624 r2.jpg

·
used ta could
1,870 Posts
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. “Most of the mods that work on the XR were figured out a long time ago”. Thanks to this site we can all educate ourselves and better our machines.
Blight dug around 9 years ago and found that the Buell shifter and linkage arms fit and improve the feel of shifting the XR. He shared it with the forum so we can all benefit, saving a bunch of dough in the process. An aftermarket setup is over $300.
Because I moved my pegs back and up Blight’s original dimensions didn’t work for me but that didn’t stop me from using his numbers as a starting point. I also used an aftermarket shifter from mcmoto-worx (I think I got the last black one). They may have silver ones left. Buellster parts may have aftermarket shifters if anyone is interested. I sort of gave up on the billet shifter arm and just got a stock Buell part off of eBay. I, like JeffB way back when, am a little concerned about the small #10 bolts and helms used but if it’s good enough for Maddog it’s worth a shot to me. I’ve only ridden from the shop to the house but it does feel better. Please forgive the slotted machine screw to the arm but this is (I’m sure) just the first version. Thank You Blight.

6BD9D2ED-F61F-4063-86DB-A3F49DCE9795.jpeg

·
Registered
546 Posts
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. “Most of the mods that work on the XR were figured out a long time ago”. Thanks to this site we can all educate ourselves and better our machines.
Blight dug around 9 years ago and found that the Buell shifter and linkage arms fit and improve the feel of shifting the XR. He shared it with the forum so we can all benefit, saving a bunch of dough in the process. An aftermarket setup is over $300.
Because I moved my pegs back and up Blight’s original dimensions didn’t work for me but that didn’t stop me from using his numbers as a starting point. I also used an aftermarket shifter from mcmoto-worx (I think I got the last black one). They may have silver ones left. Buellster parts may have aftermarket shifters if anyone is interested. I sort of gave up on the billet shifter arm and just got a stock Buell part off of eBay. I, like JeffB way back when, am a little concerned about the small #10 bolts and helms used but if it’s good enough for Maddog it’s worth a shot to me. I’ve only ridden from the shop to the house but it does feel better. Please forgive the slotted machine screw to the arm but this is (I’m sure) just the first version. Thank You Blight.
Thanks very much, and hey, that's lookin' good!

My original design and delicate parts are still working just fine after 9 yrs of riding!

Those little parts are plenty strong it turns out, but if you're using an aftermarket shifter arm maybe up-sizing one size is prudent in case you have big heavy boots!

Ride on! BLIGHT

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thank you to BLIGHT (the drawing for the plate fit perfectly) and all the others that tested and put together and to the many that have already installed one of these shifters (going back almost 10 years now) I can echo everything that has been said before about the huge improvement in shifting on the XR - clicks right into the gears - no clunking (dare I say click almost like the metric bikes I have ridden) - for those of us new to the XR- I bought the Buell XB shifter kit and the XB shift shaft arm from St Paul HD (they sell on e-bay and directly through their website - Doug Leonard provides excellent support and response)

the Arm is - T0225.02A8, Buell Fuel Engine Shift Lever, All 2003-2010 XB Models (B1Q) - sells for $28.50
also need a bolt to clamp the arm - 10-24 x 1 1/8 SHCS - get from local hardware or it's only $3 - AN1009.2CXZB

the shifter kit consists of
BN0630.02A8A Buell Shifter Pedal Assy In Textured Black All 2003-2010 XB Models, (L18E) (they sell in bare aluminum too - I went all black to match the XRx)
N0320.02A8 Genuine Buell Shifter Linkage and Bolts, Most 2003-2010 XB Models, (Kit B4H/B1J)
A0015.02A8 Genuine Buell Flange Head Bolt (B1H)
N0599.02A8A
- all for less than $100

Thank you again to all who developed, tested and installed this in the past
Cheers! Glad it all worked out for those here that tried it!
BLIGHT

·
used ta could
1,870 Posts
Thanks very much, and hey, that's lookin' good!

My original design and delicate parts are still working just fine after 9 yrs of riding!

Those little parts are plenty strong it turns out, but if you're using an aftermarket shifter arm maybe up-sizing one size is prudent in case you have big heavy boots!

Ride on! BLIGHT
Thanks. Heavy boots? Naaaah here’s mine

C4A30633-3940-4765-B0D4-8624A18E7C12.jpeg

·
used ta could
1,870 Posts
After a nice ride I am impressed. Especially downshifting (standard pattern). Before I could, with the bike on a stand, put the tranny all the way down in low, push down on the shifter, and watch all the stock mechanism bend. The shifter bows down, the foot peg bows back, and the shifter rod bows into itself. At first I thought it was harder to downshift but after I realized that pushing down on the lever actually downshifted the transmission more easily, I was sold. I didn’t think the stock stuff was all that bad until I tried the Blight/Buell shifter. All this isn’t taking into account the looseness of the stock unit.”Hey, your shifter’s loose.””No it’s made like that”. I highly recommend it to anyone with the means.
FLEX
DE947755-413E-4A98-A665-2B8CA56761A8.jpeg

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,880 Posts
Yt,

They don't call that long rod the "coat hanger" for nothing. I put the Storz/Mr H. shifter on almost 4 years ago, never a regret although my gearbox is a clunker and the more precise Storz reveals every bit of it.

A bit like buying new hi fi speakers and then realizing how crappy your turntable actually is...but now I'm really showing my age. Nothing says advancing years like a collection of 200 vinyl, and actually playing them often. Should I mention I picked up a mint condition copy of Woodstock #2 last week? I've had the original 3 record set of Woodstock for yonks and spotted the follow up second album in the window of a trendy vintage clothing and bric a brac shop in Lygon St, Carlton here in Melbourne. An Australian pressing rather than USA, but so's my Woodstock #1 and that's never stopped me enjoying it.
Just $60 AUD later and a careful trip home hanging it from my arm in a carry bag while riding the XR & trying to remember not to lane split, then it was on my turntable and I was 13 again, stunned by the power and musicality of Jimi Hendrix...

J.

301 - 320 of 335 Posts