XR1200 Owners Group banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Due to the Electrode is out put drill it a little and put some Sealant in the Hole and use a Extractor,LH,

Home Depot for 15,-$.
Kano Kroil or heating the Area around the Plug will work too.Its worth a try before removing the Head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very interesting thread and trust me, you're not the first to deal with this. All great suggestions and if I can add just one...get yourself a can of either PB Blaster or even better....Kano Kroil.....and soak the entire threaded area several times over a period of 24 hours before attempting a removal. Should ease the removal of what remains.
Yes this is correct

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
I am not/not a fan of breaking out the ceramic insulator. People do it, and often get away with vacuuming the dust - but spark plug chips are some of the nastiest sharpest stuff out there. I wouldnt risk my cylinders on a bike i wanted to keep.

I'd go with an insulator extractor - which can be hard to find. Or lightly coat a close fitting steel rod (like a worn drill bit) and glue it in the insulator hole.

Wait a day, then soak overnight with Kroil as suggested. Definitely Kroil.

And then use a pair of vice grips on the steel rod to back it out. With the Kroil soak, either the threads are going to back out, or the ceramic is going to twist out intact from the body and you can use a proper e-z out on the remaining plug part.

Just me.

Reactions: bumati

·
I'll keel haul ya scurvy dogs!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I keep going back and forth as to what I want to do. Pulling the heads is the safest, but most intrusive. I really don't mind pulling them. I have the tools, the manual, and don't mind working. Having a dealer less than a mile from my house makes getting all of the gaskets I forget on the first trip easy enough. My front rocker box cover is leaking also, which makes that decision a little more easy.
I would like to get it out without the extra work though. The JB Weld is a good idea I'll try. It will have to be an epoxy like this because the hole the electrode came out of is smaller at the bottom. It's worth a try if nothing else. A few days ago I pulled the exhaust, and hit the plug with some WD 40 Penetrating (not regular). After the JB cures, I'll give it another shot and let at soak a while and give it a shot.
I also have a straw attachment for my shop vac that I'll definitely use if it comes out, whether it seems like stuff fell in or not.

We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
7,930 Posts
WD40 is a good lubricant - but if you real want a penetrant use Kroil

·
I'll keel haul ya scurvy dogs!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Finally got the thing out. I just read the how to from Champion, but that's exactly what I did.
I was able to break up the remainder of the ceramic with a drill bit, vacuuming as I went, then used a square easy out. I just happened to have an 8 point socket that was a perfect for the extractor. When I started wrenching on it, the extractor felt like it was slipping a little, so I broke out the hot wrench to help out a little. Heat followed by more penetrating oil let her come out with a little extender on the rachet. The threads look good, so I think I should have the exhaust back on tomorrow and get the new plugs in, with antiseize.
As much as I love my Nightrain, I need some XR seat time.

Attachments

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,439 Posts
Well done! "Fortitudinis Vincimins" (my family motto) in action. The English translation of which is "By perseverance, I conquer". Anyhow, great work. We've all learned something.

J.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts